Transfering a maturing cah isa to Vanguard Life strategy

Comments

• Sean473
    Sean473 Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You can also do an isa direct with vanguard now see recent thread

Agreed... No better way then to go direct!
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sean473 wrote: »
    You pay up to £375 per year going direct, £12.50 a year plus £12.50 per transaction with Halifax, £25 opening fee, £zero per year and £5 per transaction with Iweb. Vanguard are the expensive option for most.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Sean473 wrote: »
    Not necessarily
    It can be more expensive to buy a car direct from the car manufacturer's website than through a dealer for example. Manufacturers won't undercut dealers because they want them to keep selling their cars!
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • LastbutFast
    LastbutFast Posts: 47 Forumite
    Thanks for the heads-up about X-O. I guess at this stage of being a newbie with limited knowledge, after looking around their site, I lack the confidence to take this route presently and will probably go with IWEB. I might wish to add funds later in the year and their £5 fee for doing so seems reasonable.
  • Vanguard direct are by far the cheapest and im in process of transferring my hl account to them, x-o dont offer funds like shares
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    x-o dont offer funds like shares
    I have Exchange Traded Funds (ETF) in x-o with annual charges from 0.05% (thats HSBC Euro 50 shares in Europe's 50 biggest companies). £5.95 to trade, low spreads, no stamp duty, no platform charges. :) Jarvis plc (owner of x-o) do the sharedealing services for Nationwide and Yorkshire Building Societies - my first account was certificated trading through them, before I opened an online account with x-o.
    Cheapest I have heard of is https://www.degiro.co.uk at £1.75 for shares, ETFs free . They are not a 'Best Buy' here though - perhaps because they are not part of the UK guarantee scheme but the Netherland's scheme - so you would have to go to the Netherlands to get your cash back if they went bust. Also heard a lot of complaints about their website - but that was years ago so might have been teething problems when they were setting it up.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Vanguard direct are by far the cheapest and im in process of transferring my hl account to them, x-o dont offer funds like shares

iWeb, Halifax share dealing, interactive investor, there are many options cheaper than the new vanguard offering with a full range of provider funds with a reasonable sum to invest.
  • G4OJR
    G4OJR Posts: 28 Forumite
    Is anyone able to comment on the range of funds offered by iWeb and x-o?, as opposed to listed shares? That info isn't available without opening an account thanks
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,033 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    X-O don't provide funds, does that help :)
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,607 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Vanguard direct are by far the cheapest and im in process of transferring my hl account to them, x-o dont offer funds like shares

That's just not true. They might be cheapest for some people with small portfolios but certainly not large amounts where iWeb are far cheaper
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure