Chemotherapy and hospital visits

I have a male relative in hospital having intensive chemotherapy. It is not someone I know particularly well but I am the nearest person to the hospital he has had to travel to for treatment and he has said he would like a visit.
I know little about his interests - I'm not sure he has many, due to ongoing serious MH issues - but would like to take something along to make the hospital stay a little more bearable. It's not a prolonged stay, but even so there must be something someone in hospital would appreciate however I am stumped for ideas as I'm not sure how well the usual grapes, chocolate etc would go down with all the potential side effects.
Any suggestions?
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.

Comments

• Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Would the MH issues make sudoku, or other puzzle books, difficult?
    As long as they're not too difficult, and therefore likely to frustrate me, I find that logic problems are a really good way to clear my brain and pass time.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    There was a similar thread a while back about what to take someone in hospital, possibly with cancer, but could be remembering it wrong - I'll see if I can find it.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • reehsetin
    reehsetin Posts: 4,916 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Izadora wrote: »
    Would the MH issues make sudoku, or other puzzle books, difficult?
    As long as they're not too difficult, and therefore likely to frustrate me, I find that logic problems are a really good way to clear my brain and pass time.
    I'd avoid sudoku type puzzles personally, no matter how easy the fog of 'chemo brain' might make it much harder/more frustrating
    wordsearch / colouring style books maybe better as not too much thinking at all

What about a phone or tablet loaded up with music/ games / netflix or youtube shows
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
  • Squidger21
    Squidger21 Posts: 10 Forumite
    When my mum was having chemo, her friend put together a bag for her with lots of little gifts, including a colouring book and a pack of colouring pencils, a wordsearch book, a set of dominoes, as well as some small bags of sweets and chocolates. This was all very appreciated.
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Dry skin is a problem when in hospital, so a moisturiser or handcream may be appreciated. A decent soup with fresh rolls, or another simple but tasty meal if the person isn't having problems with eating or sickness - hospital food can be poor in some places. Cereal bars, dried fruit, mini cheeses (in a lunch box with ice packs) or other snacks might be a better option if you can't take in hot food. Warm socks, as I believe that some people get very cold feet.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Manly handcream and lipsalve, tissues (maybe kids ones in a jokey box?), maybe postcards / letter writing stuff?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Go and visit your relative, reconnect with him, and ask him what he would like xxxx
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    When I was having chemo I couldnt be bothered with anything complicated! No films, highbrow books, or anything that took much brain power! Also chemo changes your tastes, so I would ask before you take in any sort of food. I even went off chocolate!! (It comes back though after chemo :-) )

What would I have liked? Just company really, although I'm pretty good on my own. I guess it does depend on the individual.
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    thorsoak wrote: »
    Go and visit your relative, reconnect with him, and ask him what he would like xxxx

I'm probably very in agreement with this....if he has asked you to visit,then maybe it's the company he wants rather than a physical gift.

sometimes its just someone to pass the hours away with who can share a little conversation to help break up the monotony.

I am sure once you make one visit the ideas will flow about something that could be bought along to the next visit.

is it maybe as simple as taking in a newspaper as not all hospitals have a visiting hospital trolly nowadays,and even the hospital shop can seem so far away when you are ward bound.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport