Pension credit - Temporarily abroad

My father wishes to go abroad, but my mother won't be going with him. My father is the claimant. How long will he continue to receive pension credit after we notify the DWP. Can my mother continue to benefit and receive his pension credit because she is the claimant's spouse and if so, how long for? Will it only be a partial payment (like 50;50)?

Comments

• sleepless_saver
    sleepless_saver Posts: 2,741
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    How old is your mother?
    How long is your father going abroad for?
    Are they separating?
  • Whiteknight
    Whiteknight Posts: 483
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    deutsch wrote: »
    My father wishes to go abroad, but my mother won't be going with him. My father is the claimant. How long will he continue to receive pension credit after we notify the DWP. Can my mother continue to benefit and receive his pension credit because she is the claimant's spouse and if so, how long for? Will it only be a partial payment (like 50;50)?

He can be overseas for up to 13 weeks before the Pension Credit would stop, you mention in the title that it is only a temporary absence so as long as he returns to the UK within this 13 weeks there would be no effect.

If he is planning on staying out of the country longer than this then there will be an effect on the Pension Credit.
  • deutsch
    deutsch Posts: 396
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    How old is your mother?
    How long is your father going abroad for?
    Are they separating?

59 years old
    6 months
    they're aren't seperating.

if my father splits this trip so it lasts for 13 weeks, then comes back, does this pension credit affect restriction reset itself?
  • Whiteknight
    Whiteknight Posts: 483
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    deutsch wrote: »
    59 years old

if my father splits this trip so it lasts for 13 weeks, then comes back, does this pension credit affect restriction reset itself?

No, it does not reset itself - even if he comes back for a week or two and then returns he is treading on thin ice. If your mother is 59 she will not be able to claim it herself.

When your father returns after 6 months he will need to make a new claim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure