New Grad DFW

Comments

• ab_saver
    ab_saver Posts: 334
    First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Thanks giblet - she is fab. I need to measure the windows, which of course I have yet to do.

Had a rather prolonged meeting with the IFA. We will meet again after my holiday to discuss quotes for income protection. It might be a bit more complicated as I have had genetic testing in the past (nothing remotely serious, but I am theoretically 'at risk') . Will meet again after holidays to discuss this.

Had some sensible advice about mortgages - the only possible hitch is whether my OH would be in a job that is salaried or paid from a research grant in some other way - essentially I was told that if it's not on a pay slip it can't be counted towards it (he wouldn't be self employed but in a situation peculiar to academia). However after some discussion with OH we could just use his extra pay to help overpay (he is totally on board with the idea of OPing and getting shot of our hypothetical future mortgage as quickly as possible). Anyway the crux of it is that the sort of thing we'd want would be affordable for us when we are looking to buy (in about 2 years time).

Away from dreaming and back to reality.

I've made an EPIC spreadsheet which I'm currently playing with - modeling different options for January onwards. I reckon the most I could save in some way (this includes short term i.e. holidays, Christmas, money aside for annual expenses) without too much pain is about £600 a month. So I'll aim for a minimum of £500/month saved to start with and see where I go from there.
    I got my staff flu jab and free cup of tea
    NSD
    Still haven't done my relocation expenses or measured my windows... or packed my suitcase... or ironed trousers for tomorrow. At least the flat is tidy(ish)!
    House fund: ~£5000 / £10,000 :D_£1000 emergency fund #208 - £151.74/ 1000 _
  • ab_saver
    Forumite
    Off on holidays tomorrow! :j My OH has offered to get travel cash so all I might need to spend is a bit on the revolut card if needed.

I'm doing well with the NSDs here - 17 so far.

I got an email back from the gym (following my third email to them, which was positively irate at being ignored) and they are refunding the joining fee - £20 winging its way back to me. :money:

I'm doing the grocery challenge next month with a budget of £75 - but I hope to stock up on some wine for Christmas and fall well within that. I got a load of coupons from Mr W in the post as well as a £4 off £40 one from my last shop... and I have some others kicking around - so I'm going to try some offer stacking - I'm not sure it's a common practice for my rather genteel branch of Mr W :rotfl:

I'm continuing to play with my EPIC spreadsheet - the problem is that I keep thinking of new categories and I'm not too sure how specific to make it. It's great fun being able to model the effects of small changes over the course of a year or more!

It looks like the overdraft will be almost identical in size to last month - so a few hundred pounds of debt busting would have happened if I'd been paid correctly :mad:

An email went round about a few extra shifts in work, which I'd happily do - but they haven't sent out the rotas yet so nobody knows if they are free to cover them :( I also think the overtime rate has been cut - I've emailed to check.

Since payday is whilst I'm on holiday, I'm writing up my November budget now.

Estimated amount left after rent and bills: £950
    £75 food
    £100 Xmas/ gifts
    £20 dry cleaning (ballgown for work do)
    £30 railcard :eek::eek: (sadly now too old for a 3 yr one :o )
    £30 travel (would allow me a trip to see OH as he has been doing most of the travel of late :o )
    £75 personal/general spends/eating out/ any overflow from above budgets
    Total budgeted spends: £330

Theoretical amount left for overdraft-busting: £620

Inevitable spanner in works: at some point (as soon as leave is confirmed) I need to book flights to see my parents in January - currently looking at around £400

So: my focus is to stay as far within my allotted budgets as possible - the Xmas one is high with the aim of spreading the cost and reducing costs closer to the big event. Black Friday also falls just before November payday (which is on Cyber Monday) so I'm hoping to get my OH's final gift plus hopefully a few bits for his sisters (am keeping eye firmly on boots star gifts also).
  • ab_saver
    Forumite
    I'm on the train to OH's and off on my holidays :j :j
    Probably won't be much news from me as I'll be too busy having fun :D

I had some spends today as I had to buy some tights (ALL my pairs are in the bin) but managed to get some branded ones reduced to clear in the Mr S at the station of all places. £5 for 4 pairs of posh tights is pretty good (hardly primani prices but these are much nicer and might last better).

I had a bit of a savings brainwave - I have a spare old current account from my shared house that used to have my share of the rent and bills in before they were paid. I could switch it to 1st direct (who don't seem to require any DDs - can this be true?) and get the £100 switching cash and access a 5% regular saver for my long term savings.

One to consider once I'm back I think.
  • ab_saver
    Forumite
    Well hello there diary and MSE-ers :hello:

I'm back from my holidays and a glorious and (mostly) MSE time was had. I enjoyed catching up with old friends in London, but it convinced me that the London life is not for me - I'm quite happy in the North East (to the horror of many) and live a lifestyle I would have to give up if I were to go back down South. Unfortunately I had something (other than alcohol as I didn't have that much) that disagreed with me and (TMI alert) I wasn't able to keep anything down yesterday and have been on bland foods and extremely queasy today. Still made it to work and was acceptably productive.

On the moneysaving front, I got paid on Friday and what a bumper pay slip it was - I got refunded my overpaid tax so took home a whopping (and unlikely to ever be repeated except in the case of similar tax whoopsie) £2446 :)

So... for the first time ever (on payslip #3) my pay takes me far enough out of my overdraft to give me some money left after rent and bills. :j:j

I did have some spends (topping up revolut card) on holiday but they seem to be pending for ages so most will come off November's monies instead.

I paid my credit card on payday (which still had those train tix on...) but it was too close to the due date so the direct debit came out as well (nice to know it works - most reassuring!) :cool: and I now have a credit balance on it (i.e. they owe me money).

I also got my gym joining fee refund whilst I was away, which I almost didn't notice!

So...

the night before payday:

OD: £1052.57
    CC: 114.20
    Total: £1166.77 :( - about £80 MORE than last month (coincidentally I put £90 on the revolut card)

After: Bank £1393.57 IN CREDIT :D

Current balance (after rent and some bills, and double CC payments)
    Bank £242.79 (STILL IN CREDIT :D )
    CC £46.10 IN CREDIT (more detail on the spends to get it there in a moment)
    Total: £298.89 IN THE BLACK :money:

So.... today has been a spendy one, mostly in the supermarket.

Groceries: £53.75/75 :eek:
    Gifts/Xmas: £8/100 (24m of wrap and sellotape bought at Mr W)
    Travel : £10/30 (had to top up my card for local public transport- doesn't get used much as I mostly cycle)

Total spends so far this month:

£71.75 as detailed above
    £115 Revolut :eek::eek::eek:
    £2.40 tube fares
    £8 music (an album I pre-ordered arrived - taking this from general/misc spends pot)

Total: £197.15 :eek:

Total budgets remaining (from my pre-holiday budget):

£21.25 Food
    £92 Xmas/gifts
    £20 dry cleaning
    £20 travel
    £30 railcard
    £63 general/other spends
    TOTAL: £246.25

I do have council tax, energy, TV license, union subs, mobile phone, and netflix still to go out - which sadly total £222.
    The good news is if I stick to my allotted budget I'll only (ha ha) be a maximum of £175 overdrawn at the end of this month. So that's my goal for this month - unless I have to buy flights to remain less than £200 overdrawn.

I think my budgets were pretty generous so I'm hoping to come in less than £150 overdrawn (before any flights bought)- that's my stretch goal. One way or another, I'm going to be out of the overdraft for good at the end of this month! :j:j:j

I'll be amazed if anyone managed to get this far through my stream of consciousness!
  • ab_saver
    Forumite
    Wow- that was a very long post!

I didn't even mention my big long list, which I have been variously compiling and crossing off since I got back from my holiday, and many of them are of an MSE bent, so here goes:

- [STRIKE]phone gas and electric[/STRIKE] - not needed as they phoned me - all booked in
    -[STRIKE]Book gym[/STRIKE] - done but then I was still ill today so I cancelled today's classes
    -[STRIKE]relocation expenses forms[/STRIKE] - all done with all my receipts but it's too big to email back in one go
    -[STRIKE]grocery shopping[/STRIKE] - this was not v MSE but it's done now
    -[STRIKE]meal plan[/STRIKE] - I've already gone off piste though...
    -[STRIKE]Re-budget[/STRIKE]
    -[STRIKE]pump up bike tyres[/STRIKE] - made a noticeable difference
    -[STRIKE]laundry[/STRIKE] - well I've made a start
    -[STRIKE]dehumidifier[/STRIKE] - have been putting it on and have changed the crystal based one
    - writing (something I've been working on for 6 months and is very nearly done - would be a career boost to get it sorted)
    -[STRIKE]Xmas do meal/table bookings[/STRIKE]
    -dry cleaning
    -fabric recycling - check local charity shop
    -look up old phone recycling
    -measure windows for blinds

I feel exhausted looking at this... but the expenses forms were a big job and are done. They hopefully should result in a good return of money to my parents, without whom I couldn't have moved up here.

I'm going to call today an NSD as I don't envision spending any money online in the next 3 hours!
  • ab_saver
    Forumite
    edited 17 January 2022 at 12:37PM
    No further along with my mega list sadly.

But I did manage to bring home some windfall apples from work - 3.3kg of them. Someone has brought in a whole shopping trolley's worth! I think there will be lots of crumble etc made tomorrow and OH makes jams and other preserves so there'll be some for him to use as well.

The friendly IFA has just left - after some discussion I think that I probably will go with the income protection. Need to have a more detailed discussion with OH as it is of course expensive - and aimed at securing our financial future.

It is so cold here I've just turned the heating BACK ON an hour and a half after it went off - poorly insulated victorian flat :mad:

Tomorrow is a pre-weekend rest day so lots to be done - will be spendy but necessary.

A few additions to the list:

-ironing
    -hoover belt
    -book haircut (someone at work forwarded me a deal for £25 cut and finish plus prosecco so I thought I might go before works do - I desperately need one!)

I have updated my budget spreadsheet to model the effects of having an FD account and regular saver and it'd work. It'd be good for the house fund. I'm more convinced that this is the way to go and could v easily make it work.

My updated clearscore came through today and made me happy - only negative thing is that electoral roll hadn't been updated yet...

I am feeling more confident about my plans and having modeled a year on my spreadsheet I have my goals which I am going to write out in a time line (inspired by Dolly Rocker amongst others. I should be debt free forever (excepting at some point in the future a mortgage and at some point having to get a car.. :( ) at the end of this month - and have an exciting plan that assumes my bank balance starts at 0 in January, which it will not. I do of course have a few stretch goals in mind... I am formulating the plan and once I am DF and out of the woods I will share them on here to keep me accountable!

In the unlikely event anyone is reading, and has made it this far - thank you. I have been so inspired by the diaries on here (Dolly rocker, Cheery, Greying, EH, Thistle, CCL, MrsSave to name but a few - and on the MFW board (my inspiration!)- (AFK, ATB, ShanghaiJimmy and many more).
    I'm sure I'd be getting out of the overdraft and onto a deposit soon but I think it's been much quicker thanks to MSE!
  • ab_saver
    Forumite
    So... I don't feel terribly well rested and didn't get much done. I bought sticker labels (instead of gift tags) for Christmas gifts for £2.25 but didn't manage to do any of the other spendy things so scuppered potential NSD.

I did however make a batch of crumble to use up some of the apples. Buoyed by yesterday's realizations that 1. my credit score is actually pretty good and 2. I'm basically out of the woods, along with 3. My December payday is early (pre-Xmas) so financial January is quite soon - I applied for the FD account today (sans overdraft!). I'm a bit worried about being rejected but cannot see any reason why I would. Anyway we shall see - since it takes time to get it opened and then to switch my old second current account across I thought I'd start early.

Had a very productive meeting (I went into work specially since one of my supervisors is only part time) and went to gym but only managed half an exercise class (rather than the 2 I'd signed up for!) - still feeling a bit feeble after the weekend of being ill.

I got home to a phone call about my cousin who is ill - it turns out his cancer has spread a lot more than we thought. That really took the wind out of my sails to be honest. Lots and lots of comfort food eaten this evening.

I need to go shower and get ready for my big weekend of work (ironing and lunch boxes).

I realize that I have a lot to be thankful for. Mostly my health, my nearest and dearest, and the support I get both off and online. Thank you and goodnight.
  • ab_saver
    Forumite
    NSD today thanks to a long day at work. I'm at work all weekend too, so unless I need emergency coffee I should rack up a couple more. Being a good MSE-er I have of course taken some steps to prevent emergency coffees including emergency cans of coke brought from home instead.

I got accepted for the FD account :j - no reason why I wouldn't be but it's always nice. The identity checks seem fairly serious. Thankfully I do know a couple of people in regulated professions (through professional/academic circles i.e. not friends as they aren't allowed). I do feel quite embarrassed about having to ask though. Also a bit miffed that I'll have to pay the postage to get the wodge of paperwork to them... Ah well. I'm glad I got going with it early - I might get that reg saver set up before the new year at this rate!

In other news, I remain in credit :j Shouldn't be hard only a week into the month, but as most of my direct debits go out on the 1st I do rapidly end up overdrawn - or did! This month should be the last one I overdraw for :D

My leave for January is now in an interesting situation. In theory the rota is structured such that I can take it off... but there has to be someone available to cover my duties whilst I'm gone and there might not be. Annoyingly, in spite of being told that, I can't actually see said rota as it's being checked by HR.... :mad:
  • ab_saver
    Forumite
    Oh yeah... I also got a free lunch - and have submitted my claim for over £1000 :eek: of relocation expenses! Fingers crossed...
  • ab_saver
    Forumite
    So... working 3 long days over the weekend was extremely MSE as I had no spends and was hardly in the house to need heating! That's just as well as I've had to turn the heating up - I've been getting cold in spite of having it on...

Today was quite spendy but that's not to say frivolous.
    Spends:
    £6.40 tights (20% off with sparks)
    £5.25 darning mushroom and wool (very MSE methinks)
    £2 wedding card for cousin
    £2.55 coffee (a rare treat!)
    I have printed all my documents for the FD account and also the online registration for NS&I (as the account was opened when I was a child, my signature needs to be witnessed) and am going to ask someone I know through work to certify/witness as appropriate tomorrow.

I have also got my work rota through - and my leave should be ok pending further approval. It looks generally ok. I'm working both Christmas eve and Christmas day, but that's ok (I kind of expected that having made a special request). I do have New Year's eve and day off though - and the bank holidays after Christmas... so not all bad! Putting 4 months worth into an ical is going to be quite a job...

I have 4 further days leave to take before the end of March so I am discussing with OH and drooling at secret escapes...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport