PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

No "T" words mentioned at all - the continuation thread

Comments

• I'm going AWOL until next week as Nell and I are off to Berlin for the Christmas Markets. He Who Knows has many home made meals in the freezer and I'm up to date with everything so I know he'll be fine until I get home again. See you laters xxx.
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,630 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Have a fantastic time Lyn xx
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Cor, now that's the way to get into a festive mind frame. I bet it's beautiful. Wrap up warm and absorb it all, including warming liquids of the mulled or spiced variety.
  • fuddle
    edited 15 December 2017 at 2:55PM
    You're really going to think I'm making what I am about to say up. I mean I've had some stories to tell but this one is quite bizarre.:cool:

You might remember I had costochronditis last week. Well I did get a viral chest infection too. I'm happy that it was a virus because my heart rate and blood pressure have been lovely while fight it. Up until Weds morning I was in a lot of pain and really breathless. Last night however I was chuffed that I had fought it off. :D

This morning I awoke to chest pain again and a very rapid heart rate and silly high blood pressure. Great. Suspecting that I had contracted a bacterial infection DH took youngest to school and dropped me at GP at 8.45. I asked for an appointment. There were non. I explained my history and how it was important that we act fast with this. Still she still wouldn't give me an emergency appointment that I usually can access. She told me that there were some appointments but they are saved for 111 referrals and they aren't allowed to fill them. Very upset I went outside (it was snowing) and called 111. I answered all their questions to be told that she was going to get an ambulance to me. Crying I said I didn't need that I just needed a GP's appointment. She told me to go back into the surgery and wait for the crew. I was sat in the surgery upset, DH was now with me, awaiting for the crew. They turned up with a wheelchair to take me to hospital. I said that I haven't been assessed by a GP yet and after a bit of curfuffal with understanding they realised what had happened. They took me into the GP's car park, into the ambulance, to assess me, do paperwork and scratched their heads with what to do. The paramedic was concerned about my heart rate and asked did I think I needed hospital. I said no, not at all that I've been here many times, last night my stats were fine this morning alarming bells are ringing and I'm acting fast like I've been told. I just wanted to see the GP because I suspect I have developed a secondary bacterial infection as I was fighting the viral one. He called 111 and made me an appointment at my surgery. They let me out of the rig and I walked into the surgery for my appointment.

There's no sign of fluid on my lungs but they are crackling with mucus. I have steroids and I'm being treat for a bacterial chest infection with 2 antibiotics. I've had to cancel my echocardiogram on Monday though. I really don't want to take these antibiotics but I'm not an idiot. I know in myself what to look for and although it feels like overkill at the moment if I hadn't acted quickly I might be in hospital in a few days like what normally happens.

I've worked so hard with my good bacteria that I am desperately upset but I'm trying to think positively and I believe I beat a virus for the first time in a year and a half and ok, I did succumb to a secondary bacterial infection as I was fighting it but I am now, I think, immune to that virus and should it come bothering me again I won't succumb and maybe, just maybe I won't be weak enough for the blasted bacteria.

I have a GP appointment to check for fluid retention with the heart issues on Monday but the NHS has cost itself £250 this morning for a GP appointment and a loss of a crew for about an hour. I feel bad but the situation was out of my hands.

So I'm now off to read about Ayurveda for lung health in a desperate bid to help my immunity even more.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Wow fuddle, I thought that your surgery had been told that you must be given an immediate appointment if circumstances such as you describe happened. What happened to that?
    I would not have gone outside to ring 111, I would have done it in front of the stroppy one.
    Well done on the weight loss. You are so determined when you put your mind to something. I am ashamed of my weak will power. I know that the weight loss is just a byproduct of your healthy eating programme but even so, oK am lost in admiration.

By the by, cooking apples are very versatile. (dont worry evetyone. That bit is in code)
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Oh, it has reappeared! I give up and am going to bed. If you get multitudinous emails now, don't blame me.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Fuddle, I'm horrified. That is absolutely disgraceful given your history. I think I'd be bypassing the practice manager this time and asking your local MP for help. What will it take before these people get their act together? mad::mad::mad:
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • fuddle
    monnagran wrote: »
    Wow fuddle, I thought that your surgery had been told that you must be given an immediate appointment if circumstances such as you describe happened. What happened to that?
    I would not have gone outside to ring 111, I would have done it in front of the stroppy one.
    Well done on the weight loss. You are so determined when you put your mind to something. I am ashamed of my weak will power. I know that the weight loss is just a byproduct of your healthy eating programme but even so, oK am lost in admiration.

By the by, cooking apples are very versatile. (dont worry evetyone. That bit is in code)

The letter is in my medical records and the receptionist isn't allowed access to my medical records. However, I have the same copy and I will be printing it for my bag, highlighted and ready for a bit of under nose thrusting. I do get that her hands were tied and that it's not her fault, it's a broken system, but just it just beggars belief.

The apple kind of screams it should happen. I'll mention to Lyn too. Sorry for the code everyone!

Monna my motivation is fear. I'm scared. I want to help myself and be strong. I am well tonight. My stats are down a bit and I'm going to watch Have I Got News For You. My weekly laugh! Reminds me. Laughter yoga... When I'm better I'm going to try it via YouTube. It's said to be good for lung health. My neighbours may have me sectioned but never mind!
    Fuddle, I'm horrified. That is absolutely disgraceful given your history. I think I'd be bypassing the practice manager this time and asking your local MP for help. What will it take before these people get their act together? mad::mad::mad:

We have a really good MP here sm. I have been thinking about it. I don't want a fuss but I think what happened today is a worrying sign of what is to come nationwide.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    fuddle

You won't feel like it right now but singing is said to be good for lung health. I am so glad you were able to stand your ground and get checked out.

Would aromatherapy in a burner help with the mucous? I tried it years ago when every cold seemed to end up with a chest infection and it really helped.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • fuddle
    Nargle said to get eucalyptus oil so I will definitely look into that elona. Thank you.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure