Dual SIM phone limitations

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    There are some Chinese phones which apparently will support two 3/4G SIMs for both voice and data at the same time, but I am wary of purchasing them due to warranty issues.

You can buy them from Amazon UK, then you have their CS to fall back on if any problems. I never bother about warranties if buying from Amazon, they'll just refund or replace if you ask nicely ;)
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,809 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I've never heard that 1970s euphemism

The 1970s euphemism "talking into the big white telephone" is a reference to lying on the floor in the toilet, hugging the bowl and emptying your stomach contents after a pint or two too far! I'm not speaking from personal experience though.

And yes - I went for white for that very reason! I think it's going to look a bit odd with a white front, a silver bezel and a black back, but I'll live with it, as long as it works as advertised...
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 October 2017 at 1:53AM
    My interest in this thread is that I have a similar problem in that I want to use a 3 SIM for data (and cross network calls out) with my o2 PayUpfrontForLife SIM (for receiving calls, mainly). I have just come across a device which I didn't know existed, namely https://www.tesco.com/direct/dual-sim-bluetooth-adapter-credit-card-size-works-with-android-ios/790-0377.prd?skuId=790-0377
    Although this is too late for the OP, he did say -
    fwor wrote: »
    The aim was to get a single device to do everything so I don't have two devices to keep charged.
    But as I said earlier, if there is not simple single-device solution I may just as well stick with what I have.
    However, although one has to keep this second gadget charged, it is thin enough to slip into a wallet meaning it's not really an extra item to carry. This gives a measure of security if either is stolen, as an alarm is sounded when the bluetooth connection is broken (presumably a maximum of 10 metres). This would enable a thief to be pursued, as he would be carrying an alarmed wallet (although in a crowded area, I'm presuming the alarm would switch off as you got closer than 10 metres leaving several people as the possible culprit :)). If it's the phone that's stolen, then you'd have little chance in a crowd as you'd be carrying the alarm.

Introducing PIECE, a credit card-sized device that basically lets you add an extra number to your existing Smartphone. Its ideal for those who own two phones, one for work and one for your personal life, or people who like to travel a lot and want to avoid costly roaming charges. Simply insert your extra sim card into PIECE, connect via your smart device and control your new sim card with the dedicated PIECE app. PIECE is designed to work with any Bluetooth-enabled Android or iOS device including tablets.
    CONTROL VIA USING THE APP
    Once youve inserted a SIM card into PIECE, you can then pair it with your existing Smarphone using the dedicated PIECE app, where youll be able to add all your contacts and make calls and SMS messages. Plus, the app lets you know the status and remaining power of your battery in real time.
    SMALL YET MIGHTY
    PIECE has been designed to be as thin as possible so that it fits seamlessly in your pocket or wallet. Despite its compact size, PIECE features a rechargeable 550mAh lithium ion battery that boasts up to 150 hours on standby.
    FIND YOU PHONE OR WALLET
    Use PIECE to locate your smartphone or vice-versa. This handy device features a distance triggered alarm system that sounds if your Smartphone and PIECE are ever more than 10m apart. Perfect for those who are prone to losing their phones or wallets.
    - Add an extra number to your existing Smartphone
    - Compatible with any Bluetooth-enabled Android or iOS device including tablets
    - Small enough to fit into your wallet or pocket
    - Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity
    - Impressive battery - Up to 150 hours standby
    - Sounds an alarm when smartphone over 10m apart
  • fwor
    Interesting - though obviously too late for me. But I can't quite figure out how it works. I suspect it has no modem of its own - it simply passes the SIM identity info via Bluetooth to the "host" phone? But it's not too clear from the description. If so, it would not appear to allow two SIMs to be active at the same time...
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 October 2017 at 3:59AM
    Interesting - though obviously too late for me. But I can't quite figure out how it works. I suspect it has no modem of its own - it simply passes the SIM identity info via Bluetooth to the "host" phone? But it's not too clear from the description. If so, it would not appear to allow two SIMs to be active at the same time...

I suspect it's more the other way round, like a phone without a keyboard, it makes the calls, but the other's interface remote controls it.
    My interest in this thread is that I have a similar problem in that I want to use a 3 SIM for data (and cross network calls out) with my o2 PayUpfrontForLife SIM (for receiving calls, mainly). I have just come across a device which I didn't know existed, namely https://www.tesco.com/direct/dual-sim-bluetooth-adapter-credit-card-size-works-with-android-ios/790-0377.prd?skuId=790-0377

That looks a bit interesting, but then you think a bit ...

As the O2 contract doesn't include data, you wouldn't have quite the same dilemma when using a dual SIM phone, as you could have the O2 one on 2g all the time.

Or if you don't have a dual SIM phone yet, just carry an old Nokia (which you might be doing already).

But another option which you possibly don't know about yet is O2's TU Go, which you install as an app on Android or iPhone, or it even works via some web browsers, and it can then handle all your O2 calls and text messages, via a data connection. So you don't need the O2 SIM with you, though if it is still in another phone, they can both ring.

Try it for a while. £40 cheaper than that gizmo.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 October 2017 at 1:40AM
    But that's the whole point of it!
    £40 is more than the cheapest unlocked smartphone so I bloomin' well expect it to have its own modem! If it didn't, how would an O2 signal reach it when there's a 3 SIM installed in the smartphone's only slot?
  • fwor
    But that's the whole point of it!
    £40 is more than the cheapest unlocked smartphone so I bloomin' well expect it to have its own modem! If it didn't, how would an O2 signal reach it when there's a 3 SIM installed in the smartphone's only slot?

I genuinely don't know, and the description does not explain - maybe it does have a modem, maybe it doesn't?

In case you're not aware, your existing phone's modem can receive a signal from all of the operators, all of the time. The SIM just tells the phone which of those channels it's "allowed" to use (because the SIM proves that you have a contract with that operator) and which you're not. That's why you can make 999 calls with any SIM on any operator's network, even when you are out of range of a transmitter owned by the network that your SIM shows you subscribe to.

Hence my contention that the device ~might~ work by just allowing your phone's modem to use the identity data in the "remote" device's SIM (rather than having a modem of its own).
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    redux wrote: »
    But another option which you possibly don't know about yet is O2's TU Go, which you install as an app on Android or iPhone, or it even works via some web browsers, and it can then handle all your O2 calls and text messages, via a data connection. So you don't need the O2 SIM with you, though if it is still in another phone, they can both ring.

Try it for a while. £40 cheaper than that gizmo.

TU Go is closing end of November 2017.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Inner_Zone wrote: »
    TU Go is closing end of November 2017.

I didn't know that. Presumably they'll get around to telling all users (or maybe not).
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    redux wrote: »
    I didn't know that. Presumably they'll get around to telling all users (or maybe not).

I don't know, just found it on their website as I have previously used it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure