To put a property in "Trust."

Being 60 years of age now I know there's going to come a time when I'll need looking after. I don't want to burden my children so I fully intend going into a care home. If a time comes that I have difficulty paying for my care, I don't want my home sold to pay for it - my home is my childrens inheritance.
My question is :
How do I put my property in trust for them, so its not taken away from me or my children to pay for my care ?

Comments

• margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    You're only 60 now, a spring chicken (11 years younger than me). With any luck you have years of health and activity ahead of you - I married for the second time in my mid-60s!

Why are you so certain that you'll need looking after and why have you decided to go into a care home? (Not an option I would wish on my worst enemy).

McCarthy & Stone are offering an alternative to going into a care home. Have you thought of their 'Assisted Living' scheme? This could possibly fulfil your requirements. http://www.mccarthyandstone.co.uk/faqs.html

The other thought is - if you don't want to use your assets to pay for this care home, then somebody is going to have to pay for it. You may think 'oh, the council will pay'. Cash-strapped local councils will then put you into the cheapest option they have which may not be where you want or what you want.

HTH

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I agree with everything Margaret has written. Increasingly people who need help with their day to day living will be helped to stay in their own homes by way of increased services such as telecare and telemedecine. Councils are struggling to fund residential places now, they know that institutional living is the worst option for most people, and they are not happy about using their ratepayers money to contribute to the substantial profits made by private business, which is what care homes are.
    Looking at the point Margaret makes in her last paragraph from a different perspective.If you don't want your children to pay for your care through their loss of inheritance are you happy that your children are already paying through taxation the cost of someone else's care who has 'got rid of' their property so their own children don't lose their inheritance?

However, to answer your question - you can give your house to your children now and rent it from them. The pitfalls to this option are that if you need residential care within a certain period of giving it away the council will not pay for your care as you will have deliberately deprived yourself of the asset. Or your children could sell it over your head and put you out on the street as part of a divorce settlement.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    If you have reasonable pension income, you should look at the idea of topping up with an "immediate needs annuity" if and when you need full time care when you are very old.

http://www.sharingpensions.co.uk/annuity_immediate_needs.htm

These annuities guarantee your payment for life, tax free and are good value assuming you are in your late 80s/90s - as most people in care homes are.

The beauty of them is that you can sell your house, spend a chiunk of the money on the annuity and be sure that the rest can go to your children.You won't run out of money.Plus you are in control at the care home as you are self-funding, not dependent on the council.

You do get what you pay for in life, one finds.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Speaking as a child whose parents are not in the best of health, I would far rather see my parents get the best possible care while they're alive, whatever the cost in terms of my potential inheritance, than have their property 'preserved' for me.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    You're only 60 now, a spring chicken (11 years younger than me). With any luck you have years of health and activity ahead of you - I married for the second time in my mid-60s!

Why are you so certain that you'll need looking after and why have you decided to go into a care home? (Not an option I would wish on my worst enemy).

McCarthy & Stone are offering an alternative to going into a care home. Have you thought of their 'Assisted Living' scheme? This could possibly fulfil your requirements. http://www.mccarthyandstone.co.uk/faqs.html

The other thought is - if you don't want to use your assets to pay for this care home, then somebody is going to have to pay for it. You may think 'oh, the council will pay'. Cash-strapped local councils will then put you into the cheapest option they have which may not be where you want or what you want.

HTH

Margaret

Excellent advice Margaret. When our time comes, I will spend every last penny to ensure we get the best possible care. Is that selfish? Well maybe:o
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • margaretclare
    These options have been discussed exhaustively here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=452902

I think my views on this kind of question are well known by now, and I agree with all those who've responded so far. While I fully endorse the idea of 'putting one's affairs in order' - I've very recently seen an example of what can happen when affairs are NOT left in order!! - however a woman of 60 has still got a lotta living to do. When I was 60 I was still busy working and struggling to keep the roof above MY head, never mind thinking of leaving it to others as their 'inheritance'!

The point about taxpayers paying for others is a good one. DH and I will soon both be 72 and we're both STILL taxpayers! Yes, I resent taxes going to enrich private business while at the same time the people on the receiving end of that private business - people such as the OP plans to be - get the shortest of short shrift, the very minimum of care and standards.

Margaret
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
  • Errata
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Well said Margaret. I'm well over 60, working part time and paying tax so that the reckless, !!!!less and greedy can use my taxes to pay for their care.

Ed's post is useful but it needs to be pointed out that the fees quoted for residential care are out by 50% for the north east and I guess by a similar percentage for other regions. And taking that into account the fees quoted are for a MINIMUM standard of care with fee being the MAXIMUM a local authority will fund. Double that amount for a place in a decent home with good and humane standards.
  • margaretclare
    Hi Errata

I have seen £60 a day quoted for residential care, that's nearly £22K a year. How accurate that is, or not, I don't know. A lot will depend on how long one lives.

Most of that cost will be for bed-and-board rather than for 'care', a bit like holiday B&B! The only 'care' you can expect in some of them is the fact that there is someone around all the time and you get your medication given to you instead of you remembering to take it. I think that's why McCarthy & Stone have jumped on to the bandwagon and are saying that, if you sell your own place, buy one of their 'assisted living' apartments, it remains yours and can be sold by your heirs when you finally turn your toes up. There may be something in that idea, and may appeal to some people. We have concentrated on modernising this 1930s bungalow and making it as convenient and easy-care as possible, and we're also still saving because we don't know what we may need in years to come.

It's also worth pointing out that an 'inheritance' does not exist until someone is dead, and that no one has a right to an inheritance which they themselves have not earned.

Margaret
  • Errata
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Current cost in north east for residential care is £20,800 funded by residents state retirement pension, high rate attendance allowance and any private pension with local authorities making up any shortfall.
    Many local authorities are now building intensive supported living units as a cheaper and better alternative to residential care.
    Although many offspring are unable for reasons many and various to give their parent(s) the care they may need, if the offspring are sure they will be left a substantial inheritance I simply can't understand why they don't pay for the care their parent(s) need in order to stay in their own home. The cost would easily be covered by for instance the increase in the value of property they inherit. I paid for a cleaner for my parents to make their lives easier and more comfortable, cheap as chips.
  • margaretclare
    Errata wrote: »
    Although many offspring are unable for reasons many and various to give their parent(s) the care they may need, if the offspring are sure they will be left a substantial inheritance I simply can't understand why they don't pay for the care their parent(s) need in order to stay in their own home. The cost would easily be covered by for instance the increase in the value of property they inherit. I paid for a cleaner for my parents to make their lives easier and more comfortable, cheap as chips.

Yes, this is the kind of thing that I would hope we can afford to pay for, and when people ask me 'what on earth are you saving FOR at your age?' it's these kind of things that we hope to be able to afford if/when necessary. Having finished all the work that needs doing on the inside, we're this morning discussing having part of the front drive re-laid and re-concreted, to save someone tripping and breaking an ankle where it's uneven, and also some steps and a grab-rail going down to the garden at the back, instead of a slope which gets slippery in wet/icy weather.

The OP mentioned 'not wanting to burden her children'. While the desire for independence is laudable, one wonders why the children should have an 'inheritance' if they're not expected to do anything at all to assist Mum when she may need it?

Margaret
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport