Ryanair Refund due to Serious Injury

Options

Comments

• michele-p
    michele-p Posts: 820 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't Ryanair offer 3 fair types? the cheapest is non refundable - standard fare. Then they have leisure plus and business, the option the OP selected for a refund would probably be to do with the more flexible tickets.

Ryanair cheapest fare really is non refundable - it's your responsibility to be insured. We recently booked flights then needed to change the return date - we knew this was our fault and expense, even cancelling to claim the taxes back won't work, as they have an admin charge which is greater than the refund would be.

Sorry, hard lesson to learn, but always get insurance as soon as you book, single trip policy will start the day you take it out, to cover for things like this happening before you go.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sverma wrote: »
    ...I still think it is a complete cop out as I really was unable to fly.

I don't think it is to refund your kind of situation.

It's death or serious illness

'my auntie had a heart attack and died and couldn't come on holiday with us, it was terrible, ryanair were good though'

'my Dad's lung collapsed, it was stage 4 terminal cancer and he couldn't come on holiday with us, it was terrible, ryanair were good though'

it's just PR.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Surely I had an extremely valid reason for a refund.

You didn't. As the name suggests, a knee-injury is an injury not an illness, much less a serious one.
  • sverma
    sverma Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    jpsartre wrote: »
    You didn't. As the name suggests, a knee-injury is an injury not an illness, much less a serious one.

Wow ok, not a serious injury; let's hope you never have to go through the pain of a torn meniscus!

So, you think that no injuries warrant a refund? Even if the injury prevents you from flying and would be a risk to other passengers in the case of an evacuation? If I was paralysed from the waist down, still not worthy of a refund? Both circumstances make it impossible to fly....
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wow ok, not a serious injury; let's hope you never have to go through the pain of a torn meniscus!

So, you think that no injuries warrant a refund? Even if the injury prevents you from flying and would be a risk to other passengers in the case of an evacuation? If I was paralysed from the waist down, still not worthy of a refund? Both circumstances make it impossible to fly....

But you have said it is a serious injury.... not illness. There is a difference.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options

If you posed a risk to others due to mobility issues you would be sat by the window. The crew would move you if you sat in any seat blocking an able bodied person.

You're not paralysed. What a silly thing to say.
  • sverma
    Options
    Oakdene wrote: »
    But you have said it is a serious injury.... not illness. There is a difference.

Yes I understand there is a difference between injury and illness, but from the drop down list on the Ryanair website the only option is for 'serious illness'.

It's interesting hearing people opinions, I guess until you are in the situation you won't fully understand the frustration. Luckily it's not like I have lost thousands of pounds but it is just the principle of it. I have learnt my lesson :)
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes I understand there is a difference between injury and illness, but from the drop down list on the Ryanair website the only option is for 'serious illness'.

It's interesting hearing people opinions, I guess until you are in the situation you won't fully understand the frustration. Luckily it's not like I have lost thousands of pounds but it is just the principle of it. I have learnt my lesson :)

I understand the frustration, you've lost money but I am sure that you wouldnt have said frustration if you had bought travel insurance at the time of booking as your insurers would have sorted you out. Any how as you've said you have bought insurance already for your next trip :)
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • sverma
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »
    If you posed a risk to others due to mobility issues you would be sat by the window. The crew would move you if you sat in any seat blocking an able bodied person.

You're not paralysed. What a silly thing to say.

Sorry, was a silly thing to say. Was just trying to make a point.
    You are right regarding seating arrangement though.
    Thanks.
  • sverma
    Options
    Oakdene wrote: »
    I understand the frustration, you've lost money but I am sure that you wouldnt have said frustration if you had bought travel insurance at the time of booking as your insurers would have sorted you out. Any how as you've said you have bought insurance already for your next trip :)

Haha I know...lesson well and truly learnt :)
    Always good to have a rant every so often though :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure