Money trouble shtf

Hi, I don't know if this is the right place but I desperately need help. My stupid fiance has just spent our last £35 on flowers for mothers day for me, a really lovely gesture but we now have £2 to last until the end of the month, I've got no petrol to get to work, our cupboards will be bare come monday, our 2 year old has 1 nappy left, no cough medicine for our 5 year old, no lunch money for our 12 year old for the week and (Im sorry for tmi) I'm due my period this week and I have no sanitary protection.

!!!!!! do I do?? Please can anyone give me advice? I'm off this weekend so has anyone any ideas how I can raise some cash quick?

I can't believe he's done this and now he's had a strop that I'm upset we've got no money after he's "tried to do a lovely thing"!!!

Comments

• rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would first look into whether you can get the money back, assuming you don't have the flowers yet. The florist may be understanding if you explain. Other than that, is there anything you can sell on gumtree? Old toys, household bits and bobs you don't need, games consoles or games etc. If it's something decent/desirable, you often get offers really quickly.

Probably the most urgent of the problems you listed is the nappies. You can improvise with anything absorbent - a baby towel is a good size - and some fleece pyjamas. Look on YouTube for how to fold a terry nappy! Use the fleece pyjamas instead of a nappy cover.

Cough medicine - if you have honey and lemon or can beg some from a neighbour, mix it with water and that's as soothing as 'proper' medicine for coughs.
  • usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First and foremost, make him your ex-fiance. Idiocy like this does not bode well for the future.

Once you have cast off the dead wood and got past this crisis (and you will), take a long, hard look at your finances and ruthlessly cut unnecessary expenditure.
  • lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,772 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Loyalty points - Nectar? Clubcard? Boots? All of which can buy food/toiletries albeit not petrol.
  • Hope you're managing, OP. For the future, make sure you've got about £100 put aside for emergencies. I used to run out of money completely about half way through the month and it's a horrible feeling knowing you've got no money at all for a week or two. You feel very vulnerable.

Maybe build up some PayPal credit (selling on EBay or doing surveys).
    Having a no-spend week/month can also be good for building up funds.
  • Serendipitious
    Serendipitious Posts: 6,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    lika_86 wrote: »
    Loyalty points - Nectar? Clubcard? Boots? All of which can buy food/toiletries albeit not petrol.

You can buy petrol with nectar points.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I can't believe he's done this and now he's had a strop that I'm upset we've got no money after he's "tried to do a lovely thing"!!!
    I don't know if you've managed to resolve this yet, but when things are calm, can you discuss how to do lovely things for each other without spending money, and ask him what his suggestions are for resolving the problems you've identified?

also - I have to ask - did he KNOW how short of money you were?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    also - I have to ask - did he KNOW how short of money you were?

Great question ^^^^
    If he did know, he's a fool but -imho- - more a daft fool than a selfish fool if he'd spent it on himself in the pub or bookies.

How do you manage your finances? Separate? Joint? Half and half?

I think you need to put this behind you and have a long, honest discussion about money.
    If money is so tight, you need to review your outgoings & income and reduce the former and increase the latter wherever possible.

Hop over to the debt free wannabe board (towards the top) for advice on doing a SOA (statement of affairs).
  • I thought I was in trouble. We recently had no light at home and no money to pay for it. But now I'found out that it's possible to have even less money than "no money"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure