Are value / Basic brands disappearing from the supermarkets?

Comments

• KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,603 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 20 February 2017 at 2:37PM
    For Tesco lots of the old value products have been re launched under new names as already mentioned, fruit, veg and meat all spring to mind.

Others now come under the Tesco brand, frozen value ready meals are still sold, same pack size, same price, but under "Tesco".

The last few marked T. value items I was buying, loo rolls, washing up gloves and cloths, have gone in the last few weeks.

I'm expecting them to return under another name. In the past products have disappeared for a short time, only to come back under another form.

ADDED: Tesco Value did a 6 pack of loo roll £1.
    This has appeared online:
    http://m.tesco.com/h5/groceries/r/www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=295496335
    Still 6 rolls, still a quid, now under the Springforce name, note it's in different package to the existing 4&9 roll packs of SF.
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think ASDA has dropped it's Smartprice (value) Branflakes, Rice Crispies and Coco Pops. These were discounted to 1/2 price a couple of weeks ago. I've not seen them in-store since and they are not currently available on line. Disappointed, because these were a staple of my shop and perfectly good.

According to the website there are still 204 Asda Smartprice lines still available: https://groceries.asda.com/search/ASDA%20Smartprice

Thank you for letting us know. I really enjoy the smart branflakes in asda, so really annoyed to learn the line has been discontinued. I notice others have mentioned products disappearing from the basic range, reappearing as other names. Not sure if I like that sort of thing, as you usually know most of the supermarkets basic/value/smart price was genrally the same in price (give or take a few pence) now it might bne a little more challenging, which i am sure some of the supermarkets want. As a asda customer, you seen any products reappear with a new name, and has it kept the old price, or shot up?
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Doc_N wrote: »
    These basic lines were originally introduced to compete with the low prices available at Aldi, Lidl and Netto, and it worked for quite a long time, keeping most people out of those stores. The perception was that low prices in these stores meant poor quality, so it didn't matter that the value lines weren't very good.

Then it became clear to large numbers of people that Aldi and Lidl (not so much Netto, which has now vanished twice in the UK) did actually sell products which matched supermarket own-label, and even brands, in quality. It became very clear that their brands were far superior to the big supermarket value lines, at much the same prices.

Once that became clear, and large numbers defected to Aldi et al, the game was up for the value lines. Who in their right mind would pay the same price for a 'value' line in a big supermarket as the equivalent product in Aldi or Lidl, when the Aldi/Lidl product was so much better quality?

Tesco and the others can't afford to bring the quality of the value lines up to match Aldi and Lidl, so the only alternative is to quietly drop them - the game is up.

I'm not really bothered the ins and outs of the introduction of the smart / value / basic brands, just sad they are disappearing. If what you said is right, some people might have to relook at the stores you mentioned.

I am actually fing most of the prosucts in this range aok. Like most, there has been some horror tasking, but on the whole they are quite good. if others are correct in products returning under a new name, I would be interesting to see if the prices match, as for many, price can be king over quality sometimes!!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 February 2017 at 11:07PM
    At Mr T's I've noticed a lot of stuff going up in price and disappearing in the last year.

Tinned spag bol used to be 20p now it's 36p.
    A lovely chilled curry they sold at 95p they stopped selling.
    Tinned potatoes gone up, 15p I think they used to be.
    Tinned pineapple gone up, it was 30p for a huge tin not long ago, now nearly double.

That's the stuff that I used to head for when I walked in, to get 2-3 of each while passing ... now it's not worth going in really.
  • I have a clearance warehouse close by and for a few months now Tesco toothpaste and other toiletry items have been cleared at half price or less although I think they have still be in the stores. The reason is that anything with the plastic beads in is being discontinued so as to limit the damage to the oceans, etc. Stores also re-package items to add a bit of extra interest, incidentally lowering the volume or weight by 10%, and the same product will be back on the shelf in a different guise the following week.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,603 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    These returned under a different guise identical in every way, price and weight/size.
    IDShot_225x225.jpg
    IDShot_225x225.jpg

And very recently the toilet rolls in my previous post matched in price & exact sizing.
  • lily117
    lily117 Posts: 610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    In the Swansea branch they have the Value washing up liquid and pine toilet cleaner on the clearance shelf with a massive 2p off!
  • I've noticed a lot of stuff going up in price and disappearing in the last year.

Tinned spag bol used to be 20p now it's 36p.
    A lovely chilled curry they sold at 95p they stopped selling.
    Tinned potatoes gone up, 15p I think they used to be.
    Tinned pineapple gone up, it was 30p for a huge tin not long ago, now nearly double.

That's the stuff that I used to head for when I walked in, to get 2-3 of each while passing ... now it's not worth going in really.

What store are you refering to?
  • lily117 wrote: »
    In the Swansea branch they have the Value washing up liquid and pine toilet cleaner on the clearance shelf with a massive 2p off!

Mr T< Asda, sainsburys. Morrisons, where?
  • When I went into Tesco's to purchase fairy liquid, I notice there was no value brand fairy liquid on the shelves.

Sorry I had to smile at that, the power of brands. Value fairy doesn't exist its washing up liquid :D

I will be sad to see the value brands go. I like to shop in supermarkets where I can pick from some value items / some brand names.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure