New Guide Discussion: Everyone needs ESTA for US travel

Options

Comments

• client1_2
    Options
    Hi - I am UK resident on holiday out in the US now, been here for 5.5 weeks, flying back next week but have decided I want to come back again a week later for another month ..................... And do you think I'll have any problems coming back so soon..?

You may, or may not, get in. No-one here can answer that for certain. There are no rules for this, but you are generally advised to spend more time out of the US than in.
  • max1882
    Options
    Hi all, i have visited the U.S. before in 2005. Id heard horror stories about being denied entry if you have convictions, so i went to the embassy in London with my convictions(posseasion of cannabis, possesion of amphetamine, public order section 4/5 cant remeber which) ( must add as well very ashamed of these convictions from my teenage years)on paper and had an interview with them, anyway i got my visa and all was well.........my problem is i have been arrested since in 2007 and charged with public order section 4............when i apply for my visa i will obviously be truthful. Because of my convictions will my esta be denied and i have to go through the process of going to the embassy in london again? or does the esta system just basically say yes or no?

Thanks in advance
    Max
  • client1_2
    client1_2 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    max1882 wrote: »
    Hi all, i have visited the U.S. before in 2005. Id heard horror stories about being denied entry if you have convictions, so i went to the embassy in London with my convictions(posseasion of cannabis, possesion of amphetamine, public order section 4/5 cant remeber which) ( must add as well very ashamed of these convictions from my teenage years)on paper and had an interview with them, anyway i got my visa and all was well.........my problem is i have been arrested since in 2007 and charged with public order section 4............when i apply for my visa i will obviously be truthful. Because of my convictions will my esta be denied and i have to go through the process of going to the embassy in london again? or does the esta system just basically say yes or no?

Thanks in advance
    Max

Fill it in and see what it says.

Also depends if the section 4 has any bearing on the waiver you received last time.

Best bet is to ask at britexpats.
  • max1882
    Options
    thanks, ive posted the same question on there
  • kerry1986
    Options
    Hi,

I am planning to travel to the USA for 3 weeks next September. My passport runs out this November but want to apply for the ESTA now before I book my holiday. My previous ESTA is still valid from last year but will run out next May. What should i do? If I apply now before my passport is renewed will it still be valid?

Thank you

Kerry
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 9 September 2012 at 2:30PM
    Options
    kerry1986 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am planning to travel to the USA for 3 weeks next September. My passport runs out this November but want to apply for the ESTA now before I book my holiday.
    If you want to get your ESTA before you book (no need to do this unless you think there is some reason why your application might not be approved) then you'll need to renew your passport asap and then apply for your new ESTA using the new passport number.

You can renew your passport anytime before it expires and get the time remaining on your existing passport added on to the new one, up to a maximum of 9 months, so your new passport would then expire 10 years from the expiry date of your current passport.
    My previous ESTA is still valid from last year but will run out next May. What should i do?

Your current ESTA will actually expire when your passport expires this November, not next May.
    If I apply now before my passport is renewed will it still be valid?
    No.
    If you renew your passport you will need to get a new ESTA using the new passport number.

If you have been granted ESTA previously and your circumstances haven't changed there is no reason why a new ESTA should be refused.
    Applying too early will just 'waste' nearly half of the 2 year validity.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • kerry1986
    Options
    Jackie,

Thank you very much for your help :-) I wll renew my passport first and then get my ESTA sorted, I know how forgetful I can be and its good to hear that becuase my circumstances havent changed i should be fine!!

Thank you
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Jackie,

Thank you very much for your help :-) I wll renew my passport first and then get my ESTA sorted, I know how forgetful I can be and its good to hear that becuase my circumstances havent changed i should be fine!!

Thank you

Obviously there is no guarantee but if your answers to all the questions are the same as last time your ESTA application was approved, there is no reason to suspect it wouldn't be approved next time.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Marcia17
    Options
    Hi
    I am travelling to NYat the end of November and my passport expires at the beginning of May so does not have 6 months left on it, i have read that this is Ok as I have a British passport, Is this right?
    Also on VWP questions it says I need a "machine readable" passport my passport is from 2003 will it be machine readable or not? and has anyone had experience of travelling on a passport that is not machine readable?
    I don't really want to eat into my spending money paying for a passport renewal a couple of months before I go:(
    I hope someone can help, thank you
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You don't need 6 months left on it to visit the US.

If your passport has chevrons >>>>>>>>>>>> on the photo page then it is machine readable.

Be aware that your ESTA will expire when your passport does.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure