Cost of Plans for Extension to garage

keithamara
keithamara Posts: 22 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 8 March 2012 at 8:47PM in Is this quote fair?
I've just had a local builder get his relative to draw up plans to have my garage extended. The relative is not a qualified architect but has done this sort of work before. But the plans are very basic (don't include plans of the house just the garage being extended) and he thinks the plans won't have to be submitted for planning permission. He's widening the existing garage by 2m and the length of the garage is about 7m. The total for measuring up and drawing the plans couldn't have taken more than a day but he is charging £450 for doing it. This seems expensive. Anyone have any thoughts? I live in Devon so not expecting London prices.

Comments

• Constructions drawings for my 40m2 extension is around 450-550 no VAT and the plans should be independant from the Builder. I would go to the local planning office to confirm but I would say no permission is needed as it is less than 25% of the footprint. I live in Cornwall/Devon borders and had a bad experience from my first architect, so email me if you need any info.
  • markdavey
    markdavey Posts: 617 Forumite
    I had a similar type of person draw my plans up for a single storey extension, cost me £250 and that included Building regs submission and management of any queries through to BR approval and any amendments needed for planning approval. Also included structural calculations for the support beams needed for a vaulted ceiling...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure