SIM Card Registration Failed?

Morporkian
Morporkian Posts: 120 Forumite
Hi there.

My partner recently got a phone from a friend, as a "spare" for when he is working in a place where he doesnt want to damage his mobile. It is a Nokia 3310, formerly on Vodafone.

I just went through the process of unlocking it and got the message required.

I had a spare O2 SIM Card from when I bought my last phone (Ive kept the same SIM for years!) and put it in. It was brand new and had never been used. Now it gives the message, "SIM Card Registration Failed".

My question is, is it because it was meant to go into another phone and is locked to that in some way? Or is there something else I need to do for it to be registered? Or do I just need to get another SIM Card altogether?

OK, I suppose that is three questions. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance :)

EDIT: The phone the SIM came with was a Samsung E330, bought in October 2005.

Comments

• mcmanlyn
    mcmanlyn Posts: 422 Forumite
    The sim can go in any phone as long as it is working. The unlocking process could have got messed up or the sim might not be registered, or may have been switched off due to lack of use.

Call o2 to register the sim, or try putting a friend/familys sim in it - one that you know actually works. Then you will be able to tell if it is the phone or the sim at fault.
    Wondering how to have a life & not rack up more debts...
  • Morporkian
    Thank You :)

Yes, Id already tried my own SIM Card and that was fine. (Sorry, I meant to say that. It has been one of those days....)

Hopefully O2 will reactivate it, as it is quite old and was completely unused. So that is probably it. Thank you for you help :)
  • alnsv1000s
    alnsv1000s Posts: 407
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    After a certain period of time, usually 12 months, the Networks have to de-activate PAYG sims that have not be used, and the number is re-allocated to another Sim.

Just get another sim from 02. They usually do not charge direct.
  • Morporkian
    alnsv1000s wrote: »
    After a certain period of time, usually 12 months, the Networks have to de-activate PAYG sims that have not be used, and the number is re-allocated to another Sim.

Just get another sim from 02. They usually do not charge direct.

Oh, I see. Thank you very much. I shall get that done while we are out this weekend :)
  • agsnu
    agsnu Posts: 1,457 Forumite
    You can order free O2 sims online from http://freesim.o2.co.uk/
  • Morporkian
    agsnu wrote: »
    You can order free O2 sims online from http://freesim.o2.co.uk/

Im guessing they dont have the free ones in their shops then? Never mind, online it shall be, as Im on now anyway. Thank You :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure