A natural pick me up remedy

Options

Comments

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    In the short term, I find milkchocolate to be an excellent throat soother (a gp told me this first). It coats the throat for a short time...just the length of time needed to retain sanity...try a little, and keep nibbling through the day...its better to have just enugh at anyone time, kmore doesn't ''last'' longer if eaten in one go.
  • Bubby
    Bubby Posts: 793 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the tip I will try that later. I was having ice lollies but I am struggling to even drink juice as it is so painful:(
  • Bubby
    Options
    Doctors have found a space for me as I can not even drink water now its too painful:(
  • Bubby
    Options
    Its a virus:mad::(:(:(
  • NualaBuala
    NualaBuala Posts: 2,507 Forumite
    Options
    Aw, hope it starts improving soon Bubby. Try to get some rest and mind yourself.

N x
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far! :)
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 :A DFW Nerd #1185
  • Bubby
    Options
    Still not 100% but feeling a bit better:)
  • Bubby
    Options
    Hmmm I spoke too soon:(:(

Ears are starting to be painful again........should I go back to the docs again? (was there at the end of last week again as throat was so painful) I was told it was a virus that could last 3/4 weeks but my ears had cleared up and are now starting off again so would you go back?
  • pjk_3
    pjk_3 Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    If your ears are bad and getting worse I absolutely would talk to a doctor. Maybe you could leave a message with the practice front desk asking for a call back rather than going in again. If you explain you were there last week and want to check if you should come in again they should be accommodating.

Apart from taking extra vitamin D, yes D, I read that taking the amino acid Lysine helps because it reduces the ability of a virus to replicate. I've tried it and it seems to work. It's quite cheap from places like myprotein.co.uk (no affiliation, just a customer). It tastes slightly salty but not bad. You can probably get it from a health food shop at a much higher price. It also seems to be used by people who get cold sores for the same reason.
  • shandyclover
    Options
    My sympathies Bubby, you seem to be having a really rough time! Last year our whole family got swine flu, since then it seemed our immune systems were shot - and we all battled colds, viruses, ear infections, UTI's, cold sores, throat infections, over and over!

A friend advised us to cut out all sugar, so we had no sugar or sweets for a couple months. Sugar is added to food so it's not always easy to hunt it down and I'm sure some sugar was going in - but everyone did regain their health. I'm not a nutritionalist - but have been told by this friend who studies alternative medicine that a dose of sugar can knock out your immune system for up to 4 hours - so whatever you are exposed to in that time you are pretty much 'open' to. It sounds quite fantastic but does seem to make sense - a few years ago my kids would stay the weekend with friends and every single time they would come back sick - I finally realised it might have something to do with the diet as this family eats a diet very high in sweets and processed food.

For your throat have you tried the zinc and vitamin c lozenges they sell at Holland and Barrett? They were fantastic when daughter and I had throat infections - they seem to numb the throat temporarily.
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2014. Epiphany on 4/4/14 - went into shop to buy 2 items, walked out with 17!

• Bubby
    Options
    Its funny because I discovered a few years ago that too much sugar can give me a throat infection or cystitus so I try to avoid that and caffeine but the throat sweets tend to contain alot of sugar plus the honey I was drinking which was probably prolonging it.
    My ears are not painful anymore but they are still blocked, any ideas for unblocking them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure