Should the tax and benefits system prioritise families? poll discussion

Comments

• dronid
    dronid Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    scaty wrote: »
    had the children and they were my priority. ONLY TROUBLE IS THEIR CHILDREN are becoming my priority.

I think there are a lot of people in your situation. I'm often considered the responsible adult by a number of people I know - even by people much older than me.

It can be very wearing, but I do take consolation from the fact that at least I am helping.

And good advice is worth more than money, well applied. This site proves that!:D

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

I moved to Liverpool for a better life.
    And goodness, it's turned out to be better and busier!
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    KimYeovil wrote: »
    But the difficulty is that the attack on and the poverty of the childless poor is so very savage. And nothing is ever suggested to alleviate this.

We have insane inverted modest proposals where the poorest workers in society are being impoverished into malnutrition and ill-health and an early death whilst any family with children (including the wilfully unemployed) are granted an income that is an order of magnitude times greater than the childless.

Exactly my ,single no children, daughter worked , took out a mortgage contributed etc then became chronically ill, no cure as yet. She's on benefits with a disability element but can see her house/garden slowly falling into disrepair. No extra help andit has just taken the DWP 5 months to answer a letter. She can only afford to run her heating for an hour a day, curls up in a quilt the rest of the time, one of her symptoms is she is unable to regulate her body temperature. She's been like this for 7 years. If she'd had kids and not bothered to buy her own house she would be better off. She has just started a job, mainly home based for 20 hours a month, she will lose most of the money she earns in reduced benefits.
    These days people have a choice whether to have children or not so lets treat all people in need equally.
  • well i dont want children and i think that the government should pay out for families with 2 children only but if YOU decide that you want more kids after that then you as a family must be able to afford them and the government should not pay for anymore, this will stop the drain on big families and the benefits they recieve and force people to think b4 they want anymore kids there are too many people sponging off the government system with their big families thinking that producing more kids will get them a bigger house more benefits etc ( and it works). so if this was to be put in place everyone would have a fair system.... why should the people who work and pay taxes all their lives get less than families who claim loads of benefits ...its their choice yet the hard working people who dont want kids never get any help with anything!! so if you havent guessed it my answer was no the families should not be prioritised.. they already get child benefits,tax credits,probably ct and hb, childcare benefits,flexible hours at work thats more than someone working hard at a full time job...plus most single parents will get csa payments too!!:angry:
    always send a smile as it costs nothing..

:beer:
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    borkid wrote: »
    ......became chronically ill, no cure as yet. She's on benefits with a disability element but can see her house/garden slowly falling into disrepair. No extra help andit has just taken the DWP 5 months to answer a letter. She can only afford to run her heating for an hour a day, curls up in a quilt the rest of the time, one of her symptoms is she is unable to regulate her body temperature. She's been like this for 7 years. If she'd had kids and not bothered to buy her own house she would be better off. She has just started a job, mainly home based for 20 hours a month, she will lose most of the money she earns in reduced benefits....

Is she claiming Disability Living Allowance? It is not income related so is not affected by any income she makes. Enquiries can be made by disabled people or their representatives on the Benefits Enquiry Line - 0800 882200 (0800 220674 in Northern Ireland) or Minicom 0800 243355.

Is she receiving all the help she could? A visit to Citizens Advice or other benefits advisors locally will be able to help or if she can't get out of the house she can probably get a home visit. They will know any local help or charities that can help.

Re DWP not answering letter, she could have had help from CAB with that. She should put in a complaint - ask DWP for their exact complaints procedure.

This has nothing to do with the thread so no need to reply, but if you want any info about benefits you will find help on the Benefits & Tax Credits Board.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    And I can't recall where but someone was moaning on the radio that buses only allow two prams on at one time. Can't they make up their minds? They whinge about how they are not capable of bothering their !!!!!! to collapse their push-chairs (unlike generations of parents before them) and then, when their uncollapsed buggies occupy the space that eight collapsed ones would fit and so only two buggies are admitted they turn round and still continue to whine!
  • But the difficulty is that the attack on and the poverty of the childless poor is so very savage. And nothing is ever suggested to alleviate this.

Well how about this suggestion...

Instead of scrounging from tax payers how about asking your family?

Why the hell should single people be summoned to cough up a cushy lifestyle for the crappy poor people who have more kids than they know what to do with.
    If you can't afford to have your kids then put them on the doorstep of a church or something. Stop hounding regular folk to fund your ineptitude.
  • I haven't voted yet - not sure where to put my mark so to speak. We are a family of 5, who do rely on benefits, so to us it's important that we get all the help we can. But at the same time, I recognise that there is a lot of help out there for us, and not so much (if any in some cases) for those without children (my parents for example, who struggled their whole lives on just above the cut off levels for any help, so were never able to set up pensions or savings, and now they're coming up to retirement are worrying about how they'll manage).

Could I put one angle on this discussion that doesn't appear to have come up yet. Most of those speaking against the help families get seem to be assuming the benefits came first, then the children, and I'm not disputing that this does happen - but what about those families for whom it happened the other way. My husband didn't ask to be invalided out of work, I didn't expect to become his full time carer along with 3 children - before we started our family we both worked 60+ hour weeks and had never claimed a penny between us in 23 combined years of employment, and I fully intended to be back in the workforce by now.

Life doesn't always go the way we plan - and that's why the benefits system is there - to keep you above water until you can get back on track. The unfortunate fact of the matter is there are too many ways some people can fiddle the system.
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to [strike]be dealing with[/strike] have dealt with my debts
  • I struggle to understand why we prioritise people choosing to have children when often there are other groups in more need.

Both myself and my partner suffer from chronic illnesses yet manage to each hold down a full time job. We recieve no help and no benefits despite the fact that the illnesses require us to keep the thermastat much higher than I would through choice as it provides pain relief.

Why should we be taxed more to help people who choose to have children, and why don't the families learn to budget better?
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    stogiebear wrote: »
    Originally posted by [B]Kim Yeovil[/B]
    But the difficulty is that the attack on and the poverty of 
    the childless poor is so very savage. And nothing is ever 
    suggested to alleviate this.

Well how about this suggestion...

Instead of scrounging from tax payers how about asking your family?

Why the hell should single people be summoned to cough up a cushy lifestyle for the crappy poor people who have more kids than they know what to do with.
    If you can't afford to have your kids then put them on the doorstep of a church or something. Stop hounding regular folk to fund your ineptitude.

Falsely, falsely quoted.

I am confused.
  • My husband and I ARE a family and we're full paid-up members of the childfree (please note, not childless).

As well as indirectly financially supporting people who choose to have kids we get fed up of picking up the slack in work. eg if an average person had 5 days off sick in a year, thats 5 days work someone else has to do, but fair enough because its swings and roundabouts, but it seems to be with parents (where we work at least) that they're sick 5 days a year and each of their (eg) 2 kids are too, totalling 15 days that the parent is off.

I'll never get maternity leave (although I have enquired about an equivalent holiday with my tongue firmly in my cheek - no luck!).

All in all people like us pay out a lot more than we'll ever get back and it really annoys me when you see people sponging when they don't need it, they're just plain lazy! Give the money to the people who are in difficulty through no fault of their own (eg illness), not those who think its their right to have me support their kids.

{and breathe...} </rant>
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport