vodafone default help

Hi all this is a long story so I'm going to try and shorten it and get to the point.

So originally I had a Vodafone contract and I went into the shop to speak to someone about an upgrade and before I knew it they signed me up for another contract and gave me a new phone but this meant I would have two contracts running at the same time which I have no need for so after some thought I returned it the next day and thought nothing more of it. Then I noticed I was paying bills for two contracts and complained again and again but everything had got so confusing and they were saying I was due them money when really they were due me ect ect this went on for months. Eventually they realised their mistake and stopped it and said sorry. Around the same time the original contract ended and I thought I had paid everything and it was done.

I obviously never got another contract with Vodafone and all was finished or so I thought. I checked my credit rating last month and I have a default of 26£ which is severely affecting my credit rating its a stupid amount id have no problem paying but after the stress I went through with Vodafone its just outrageous they have done this and all without even a single letter. So really I’m looking for advice on getting this removed from my credit file. I can pay it but that doesn’t get it removed so is there anyway I can get it off?

Comments

• Vodafone can have it removed, have you spoken to them?
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    Hi Claire,

To get the default removed you will need it to be incorrect data. You can complain to Vodafone about the situation and ask them to remove it, but if the default is accurate I am afraid it is unlikely. You can escalate the complaint to the Telecommunications Ombudsman and the Information Commissioners Office.

A paid default is better than an outstanding one and the older information gets on your file the less impact it tends to have on your overall rating. Please be aware that the default will come off you file after 6 years.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • There's a Vodafone rep. on the MSE forums (details in this thread):

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=71521267&highlight=vodafone+representative#post71521267

You could try contacting them and go from there.
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Hi clairexxkky01,

If you still need help with this, follow JustAboutThere's suggestion and email us via form here.

To access the form you'll need to enter the code WRT135.

As well as stating your query in the question box, please also quote "MSE Forum".

Once sent, you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. Post it on here and we'll check we've received it.

Thanks,

Lee

Social Media Operations

Vodafone UK
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • alfitz24
    alfitz24 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Hi,

I am praying someone on here can help me or give me advice.

I have recently been refused a mortgage or any form of credit so checked my credit score and have a default from Vodafone on my account, due to a sim only deal I took out and mistakenly did not make payment for and built up £41 in debt. As soon as I realised I built this debt up I called up and paid but it was to late as the default was already there.

I already have a mobile phone contact with Vodafone which I pay monthly via direct debit and assumed my sim only deal would be under the same account and the direct debit to be taken monthly with my other mobile phone tariff but apparently they were different accounts.

II only used this sim card for a short period of time then stopped using it (this is why I did not realise it had been cut off) and never got around to cancelling it and I did not see this as an issue as I thought I was still paying for it. I went back to my mums house to visit family and had one letter from vodafone stating that one of my bills had not been paid (I am not sure why the sim only contract had my old address on it, I thought my other phone contract would be linked with this account and have the same postal address which is my up to date address)

When I saw this I called up and discovered that no payments had been taken in a while which is when I made the £41 payment and thought that was the end of it. A couple of months later I checked my credit score due to being refused any credit and saw I had a default issued against me before I made the £41 payment.

Surely Vodafone have to issue me with a letter informing me they will be issues a default against me? I have contacted them and they just said we are not going to remove it as it's your fault for having the wrong address on your account. I agree I should have checked but as I already was paying vodafone monthly via direct debit for my phone contracts I thought this included my sim only payments too.

This is really affecting my life and do not know what to do.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Alex
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,717
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Alex,

You can try complaining again to Vodaphone, maybe there rep on here can help you, but removal of a default is strictly at the creditors discretion, and it does not happen often, usually only if it was an error on their part.

Yes creditors are supposed to send you a default notice but as a mobile service agreement is not covered by the consumer credit act, that obligation is removed.

You do admit having the wrong address on file with them, again, thats not there fault.

Personally i wish you luck, but i dont think you will be successful, the only saving grace is that the further back in time a default is, the less effect it will have on credit making decisions.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Hi Alex,

I've replied to you in your original thread here.

Kind regards,

Lee

Vodafone Social Media
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure