Paying for your own CRB check

Just enquiring what people think regarding applying for a job vacancy and being asked to pay for the CRB check yourself if you are successful. The majority of vacancies advertise that the expense will be met by the employer.
I personally think it is a bit of a cheek for any employer who requires a CRB check on their potential employee to ask for them to pay for it themselves.
Although I am unemployed, I refuse to apply for any position on principal where you have to meet your own expense on a CRB check even though I am probably cutting off my nose to spite my face.

Comments

• livelyred
    livelyred Posts: 2,367 Forumite
    andy46 wrote: »
    Just enquiring what people think regarding applying for a job vacancy and being asked to pay for the CRB check yourself if you are successful. The majority of vacancies advertise that the expense will be met by the employer.
    I personally think it is a bit of a cheek for any employer who requires a CRB check on their potential employee to ask for them to pay for it themselves.
    Although I am unemployed, I refuse to apply for any position on principal where you have to meet your own expense on a CRB check even though I am probably cutting off my nose to spite my face.
    I have just had to do a CRB check with the NHS they pay for this thou.
    Won 2010: Butlins 5 day Break and £250, 1 yr Virgin Active membership, Meal for 10 at Best Parties Ever, skyline 2011 dvd.

Surveys Tescos Home Panel,Boots,cint sample,Unex Royal Mail,Crowdolody,Valued opinions,Ayton,Buzz,Ayton,Consumer Pulse,Royal Mail Posting, pigsback.
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,022
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I can understand you being charged for a CRB check if you fail and you knew you would fail, but they shouldn't be charging you when it's a requirement that they have one done.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • Caroline73_2
    Caroline73_2 Posts: 2,654 Forumite
    I think that employer's should pay for a CRB check - it's not like it is valid anywhere else when it is done.
  • Bobl
    Bobl Posts: 695
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    andy46 wrote: »

I take it you also do not claim benefits 'on principal'. I suppose the main point is how much do you want to go back to work.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine!
  • lucid2008
    lucid2008 Posts: 159 Forumite
    Caroline73 wrote: »
    I think that employer's should pay for a CRB check - it's not like it is valid anywhere else when it is done.

It is valid at any other companies you may work for as well.
  • polgara
    polgara Posts: 500
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    No its not! They are only valid for that employing organisation!!
  • lucid2008
    lucid2008 Posts: 159 Forumite
    Sorry 2 companies i worked for since i had one said i did not need a new one and just looked at the original one.That was for work in the courier industry.
  • polgara
    polgara Posts: 500
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Ah - whilst some companies may accept an old CRB technically the check is not valid - ie if it was part of T&Cs that there was a valid CRB in place then this would not hold.

Public sector orgs that require CRB (standard or enhanced) will insist on a new CRB.
  • Caroline73_2
    Caroline73_2 Posts: 2,654 Forumite
    lucid2008 wrote: »
    Sorry 2 companies i worked for since i had one said i did not need a new one and just looked at the original one.That was for work in the courier industry.

http://www.crb.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=1870

I'm referring to an enhanced CRB, I believe a standard on maybe ported. I assume a courier wouldn't need an enhanced one (or one at all really?:confused: )
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,975
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    When one is to be an employee, the employer (local authority) has paid for CRB.

When doing further education teaching (through an agency, not directly employed), I have had to pay for the CRB. This agency will now take the cost from the first monthly pay. It has to be renewed at least every 3 years with that agency even if the employing college is the one and only place one works.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure