MoneySaving Poll: Is your energy company's service any good?

Poll started 2 December 2014

Is your energy company's service any good?

There have been more horrid reports of energy firm billing errors. We regularly ask for your feedback on firms, and have brought this poll forward to see if anything has changed since we last ran the poll in August.

Rate both your gas and electricity providers

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Bottom line - npower = poor customer service, poor record keeping, repeated readings, inaccurate bills etc.
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    I am confused as to what comes under the umbrella of service :o

My energy company does their job but I would not rate them for doing this, I would knock points off if their billing service was not up to scratch but I would not class them as 'great' or 'OK' if that part of the service provided was correct.
  • StrayCat
    StrayCat Posts: 551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker
    My experience of British Gas - they made an error, they took almost a year to rectify said error, during this time they kept sending me various bills of varying amounts (none of which were correct). It left me unable to pay any bills for this period and now I'm playing catch up. Communication was very limited despite being told they'd call on XXXday ... it would be months later they'd get in touch. As soon as my bill is sorted with them I will be switching.
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.
  • I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ebico account enquiries are handled by SSE (their supply/billing partner)

Call agent expertise can go from great to poor.
    (sometimes left banging one's head!)
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    StrayCat wrote: »
    My experience of British Gas - they made an error, they took almost a year to rectify said error, during this time they kept sending me various bills of varying amounts (none of which were correct). It left me unable to pay any bills for this period and now I'm playing catch up. Communication was very limited despite being told they'd call on XXXday ... it would be months later they'd get in touch. As soon as my bill is sorted with them I will be switching.

Had the same kind of problems with them myself

They set me up on DD and said it was for gas and electric a year later wrote to me saying I owed £600+ on gas asked why as i had been paying it and they said oh no DD was electric only

My grandparents paid it for me and BG paid it back into their account. I called BG to let them know they wouldn't believe me and insisted they had to find the "missing" payment this took them 6 months

I the mean time I swopped to pre-payment as I didn't trust them with my DD any longer they loaded the debt on to the machine until they could find the funds and would then delete the debt.

Turned out they loaded the debt twice when they tried to remove it they credited it twice so my machine was over £1000 in credit when I called them again they said maybe I had "forgotten" that I had topped it up by £1000 :rotfl:I told them nicely that if i had 1K free I wouldn't be putting it on my stupid meter.

They then said that the machine needed to be replaced they sent a guy out to do this but no card so couldn't top up it they put an emergency credit on when that got down to 50p I still had no card so I asked for a further top up they refused until it got down to 0p this was in the middle of Nov and it was snowing so the house was freezing!

They finally got me a card and I thought it was all solved but they passed the debt I had paid to a debt collector finally got that resolved but then every 6 months for 3 years they passed it on to a different debt collector even denying they had on several occasions despite the debt collector siting them.

I finally got the Ombudsman involved and I was rewarded £200 compensation
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Shame there was nothing below "Poor" to click.
    (We're with Scottish Power.)
  • Looby77
    Looby77 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Npower are so awful - please don't switch to them. We have been stuck in a nightmare since early 2010. Seems ridiculous but Yes 2010. They seemingly resolve complaints, make a refund and then it all flares up again and they want the money again. Each time this happens it has to be a new complaint. In September 2014 they refused to let me log a complaint!!!!The problem I have involves over £3,800, I really think it is making me ill. Current complaint has been sitting in a q for 3 weeks and no one has looked at it yet apparently. I feel so sorry for anyone who works for Npower. Ho hum clock ticking for Ombudsman on 31st December.
  • geoffW
    geoffW Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I note you haven't got Daligas on your list but I've been with them for 11 months and found them excellent, free phone number and quick answer, I would have stayed with them but Npower is now cheaper than them although after seeing the voting for Npower I'm wondering if I've made the right choice?
  • For all those saying NPower are bad - they are but they have compensation of £25 that they will give out if you demand it!

We haven't even got an account with them anymore but my hubby has got £50 out of them in the last 2 months because they've sent two letters! He knows how to talk to them - he's got quite clever at this, he looks at forums and knows the law well and he demands compensation.

He started the last phone call with "I'm ringing for £25 compensation which I know you give out, put me onto the person who can give me this now!"

lol - they were quite adamant at first they weren't going to but within a few minutes they gave in!

Have fun :)
  • karlie88 wrote: »
    Bottom line - npower = poor customer service, poor record keeping, repeated readings, inaccurate bills etc.

Eeeeek ... I am thinking of going to npower :-(
    Tony
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family