Just been given a Settlement Agreement

Options
This morning I was offered a Settlement Agreement totally out of the blue. No warning nothing.

The meeting was a blur. They don't require me due to re structuring. 'And you have said in the past that you don't enjoy the job'. They have given me two months salary tax and NI free when I have signed the settlement.

I'm starting to think that I have a case for unfair dismissal.

Long story. Joined the company July 2013 full time doing the job I loved covering maternity leave. March last year maternity person comes back and we job share. Only I'm still doing a full time job on a part time basis as maternity lady was always off sick.

This leads me to go off sick with anxiety and work related stress for four months. Maternity lady is sacked and two other bodies come in to take over our roles. Meetings with HR and manager follows and I'm told they are changing my role but on a rota basis so that between the three of us we could cover each other's job when that person is on holiday. I wasn't happy about this. They will support me and get me the structured training I need. It didn't happen and I struggled for months. They then gave me additional work and again no training. Just did my best. Learnt as I went along.

Manager gets sacked another manager takes over and within weeks I'm asked why I'm not doing my job. He said you come in and go home. I believe you don't care. I stated due to my anxiety and the tablets I'm on I was a bit laid back and didn't stress about things. I needed training, though I wasn't interested in the job. This job is nothing like the jobs I've done and been good at for the last 20 years with various companies. He said he would get the training I needed but wasn't prepared 'to get his cheque book out' unless I was committed in doing the job. He was concerned for my welfare. We left it at that.

This morning I'm told due to restructuring my role isn't needed which I think is a lie. There isn't enough bodies in that department to cope with the queries and workload.

I believe the settlement has been given to me due to under performance because of no structured training that they said they would give to me when I returned from sick leave.

I'm in the process of finding a solicitor as I need one to sign the settlement. But do I have a case for unfair dismissal due to my mental health caused by this company. Should I bring this up with the solicitor?

I'm shocked and angry. Part of me wants to say good ridence I'll go quietly but the other part saying that's unfair I don't understand why they have treated me badly for the last 9 months.

I nearly emailed HR saying I'm claiming for unfair dismissal but stopped myself and thought maybe you guys would kindly give me some advice on this please?
16/10/2016 £9176.11 paid off 13/01/2017

£1.50/300

2017 - £25 PayPal - SB 2016 - £75 Paypal - SB

Comments

• Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    Unless you are discriminated against in the eyes of the law, so something such as gender, race etc unfair dismissal does not apply until you have worked somewhere for 2 years.

If you can prove that you are covered under the equality act 2010 you may have a case.

When you see the solicitor as them but please be prepared that they might tell you what you want to hear and that you may end up paying more than you could possibly win in an ET as costs are not normally claimed back.

If you are a union member as them or check on your household insurance for legal cover.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Woodster76
    Woodster76 Posts: 178 Forumite
    Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    Thanks Takeaway_Addict. Forgot that I don't have the same rights as the other employees as I've not worked there for over two years. And yeah solicitors might tell me to go for unfair dismissal but it could drag on for months....

OH has calmed me down a bit, but I'm still annoyed that there was no warning and it seems like I don't have a leg to stand on.

£1.50/300

• Woodster76
    Woodster76 Posts: 178 Forumite
    Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    They want all this signed and sealed by this Friday. I only received this settlement yesterday. Surely I should be given more time?

£1.50/300

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    They can't do much till you have a solicitor in place and you can drive the timing of that.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    They can't do much till you have a solicitor in place and you can drive the timing of that.
    Agree, what they want and get are two different things. But do be careful to not push to hard incase they pull the offer.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure