NTL How to get 1.5mb service for 750kb price

Comments

• I've been on NTL for the past 3-4 months. Should I give this a shot?
  • dfarry
    dfarry Posts: 939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Bloophead... if you don't try then you'll never know so get calling...

I would say your chances are slim... I only got the discount because I threathened to leave because I thought it was outrageous that new customers were pay less than long term customers like myself (7 years total)
  • Tony_H_3
    Tony_H_3 Posts: 2,643 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've been on NTL for the past 3-4 months. Should I give this a shot?

If you thought you would be getting a faster service than that provided by standard ADSL, and that you would be able to get ADSL if you so choose then I guess you could play the "I've been mislead card" to atleast get an upload speed of 256kbps (side effect is a 1.5mb download).

Good luck.
  • arae24
    arae24 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Just telephoned NTL, after about 20 minutes of haggling I finally managed to get 1.5mb broadband for £18.99 for three months (I was paying £24.99 for 750mb). It is best to speak with customer relations direct on 0800 0520243 as they have more power than customer services.
  • celticfc
    celticfc Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    does anyone know of anywhere that show a list of services provided by other companies other than NTL, some sort of price comparison so that I can prepare myself with info when I give them a ring.
  • I used the 'i'm going to cancel' trick the other day with NTL and saved myself £10 a month for 12 moths. They also informed me that the 1.5 mb service will be DOUBLED FREE OF CHARGE in January 05 giving you 3 mb connection for £37.99 :o
  • ZAP
    ZAP Posts: 51 Forumite
    I have been with NTL for 3 years now i think. I am currently with their 300k package. I am currently paying £18/m for internet (althought i have phone and TV with them too).

If i phones them up first and said that i wanted to cancel and because it wasn't fast enough and was too expensive, quoting Tesco's 512k package for a mere £2 extra, then hopefully they will upgrade mine to 700k yeh? If they do then that is fab!

Then i'll stick with that for a week or so and then phone them up and say that uploading is very slow and i need to do a lot of it so i still want to cancel and go to Tesco then would they then upgrade again to 1.5mb for the 256k upload while still paying £18?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • I spoke to the customer relations people this monring hoping to get the same upgrade, as I have been paying £24.99 for the 750K service for about 2 years.

Their response was that the only way I could get the cheaper £12.99 new customer rate was to cancel my current contract and start a new one. When I suggested this was more of a pain for them than me, I suggested that there are other sevice providers who can offer a cheaper service (in a hope of getting her to reduce the price), she just said OK, there's nothing I can do thanks for being an NTL customer!!

I said to her do yo really want to loose me as a customer (my monthly broadband and phone bill is about £80) and she replied with "thats upto you!!", staggering.

Long and short is that I am not getting it any cheaper through NTL, need to start looking elsewhere.

Anyone know any cheap ISP's?

p.s. I did'nt want to cancel there and then and get the new service as she told me my phone number would change!!!, so might as well find a new ISP and phone company
  • dfarry
    dfarry Posts: 939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That is terrible Tosh... I can't believe they would deal with you so abruptly as that....

I'd post a message on the NTL (Cable forum) to warn would be customers that sometime you can get stuck with service like that. Having been dealt ith in that way I would definately cancel my account.

Despite my messages about success and and cheap broadband blah de blah... I still have got some NTL issues... for example... we received our bill this morning and it doesn't show the discounted rate for broadband... So immediately I was on the phone and spoke to someone who was actually very helpful...

Basically Cancellations hadn't processed the discount they offered me - so consequently I have paid two months over what I should have done... They and I have agreed to over look this however and for the next 12 months they will credit £15 to my account (as FREE TALK UNLIMITED)...broadband will still show at the higher price on paper at least.
  • Well glad to hear that someone is having better luck than me dfarry!!!

I probably will cancel, just need to do a bit of research to find out who is the cheapest. I hear that f2s (https://www.f2s.co.uk) is offering 1MB ADSL for £14.99 per month (but has a 1Gig cap) that might be worth a look.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure