Taxable Payment?

Hi

I was made redundant before Christmas and during my consultation I was offered more than statutory redundancy - I had worked for the employer for a few years and they felt bad about closing the business.

Would the amount over and above statutory redundancy be taxable?

I have read that you can receive up to £30,000 of redundancy pay tax free and that the maximum amount of statutory redundancy is capped at £13,920 - this appears to confirm that you could receive additional discretionary payments of £16,080.

I have just been contacted by this previous employer to say that their accountant is saying that the additional payment is a benefit in kind and should be taxed as such.

Are they right?

Thanks

Mike

Comments

• Bobl
    Bobl Posts: 695 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I thinnk you are confusing statutory redundancy and any additional redundancy payment the company may pay you. As you said, you can receive £30,000 tax free but after that any additional payment would be taxed at your current tax rate, the amount they pay you is not capped.

Hope this helps
    Life is too short to drink bad wine!
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,831 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    iammikec wrote: »
    Hi

I was made redundant before Christmas and during my consultation I was offered more than statutory redundancy - I had worked for the employer for a few years and they felt bad about closing the business.

Would the amount over and above statutory redundancy be taxable? No, it is the amount above £30K which is taxable.

I have read that you can receive up to £30,000 of redundancy pay tax free and that the maximum amount of statutory redundancy is capped at £13,920 - this appears to confirm that you could receive additional discretionary payments of £16,080. The discretionary (or contractual) payment can be any amount and would generally be considered as including the statutory sum. Of course, not everyone can receive the maximum statutory redundancy payment because that requires someone to be paid at the maximum weekly pay and have the longest service.

I have just been contacted by this previous employer to say that their accountant is saying that the additional payment is a benefit in kind ("benefit in kind" is not a cash sum so I cannot imagine any professionally qualified accountant referring to money as a benefit in kind) and should be taxed as such. Some employers will deduct tax (and NI) in order to protect themselves from any chance that HMRC will classify it as having been a normal, but delayed, payment for your actual work and therefore look to them to hand over the tax and NI which would be deemed to have been deducted. I think you can try to seek repayment from HMRC.

Are they right? I think you should get them to put in writing exactly the grounds they are using as justification for it being taxable.

Thanks

Mike

• enginesuck
    enginesuck Posts: 130 Forumite
    My redundancy in 2012 was over 80 k - none of it was taxed it was made as a "special capital payment" Not sure if that makes any difference.
  • Derwent
    Derwent Posts: 571 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    enginesuck wrote: »
    My redundancy in 2012 was over 80 k - none of it was taxed it was made as a "special capital payment" Not sure if that makes any difference.

Not relevant in thi case, SCP's only apply to those being made redundant from the armed forces.

As stated above, the first £30k of redundancy is tax free and anything over that is taxable. The only time this doesn't apply is if any of the payment relates to PILON (Payment in Lieu of Notice) and this portion should be taxed as per your normal earnings regardless of whether the total amount is less than £30k.
    Its amazing how these banks can't even do simple calculations correctly..............
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure