PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Kenwood Chef - Fun and Practical

Options

Comments

• GarnetLady
    Options
    Soooo excited! Just found out I'm getting the Kenwood Chef from Currys for Christmas!!!

Off to look at attachments now. :D
    :heart: Mummy to an amazing little girl :heart:
  • northwest1965
    Options
    Great thread everyone, so funny. I dont feel as though I can contribute, I have a Kenwood food processor!:rotfl:
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
  • tillytot2
    Options
    Hi All

been having a read through your thread, you seem to be the ones in the know
    i am looking to purchase a food processor/mixer
    mixer for bread and cakes and processor for general cooking needed in variety of recipies
    i have never owned one before everything has been done by hand would like to make life a little easier therefore making way to do more cooking
    whats your advice guys not really looking to pay over 200 but dont want to spend that much and be disapointed any advice would be great :cool:
  • andyt8
    andyt8 Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 December 2012 at 12:21PM
    Options
    Rossy2692 wrote: »
    Got mine from Currys £179 I honestly dont know how i managed without one!! It is fabulous!!! Never has my bread been so good!!! Love it!

I bought one from Currys at the weekend. They had the Kenwood Premier Chef KMC510 on offer at £179. What sold me on the Premier version (other than the huge price discount) compared to the other versions on sale was that the premier has reverted to diecast aluminium for all the external parts of the mixer. The others had plastic for the arm cover etc. Just tap it and see.. Also came with the liquidiser jug attachment.

Like Rossy and Sistercas I want to make bread dough in it having just burnt out my hand mixer making dough and my old bread maker bit the dust with a problem with the drive shaft to the paddle. So the premier with its 1000w should be okay (classic at 800w probably no real difference).

I intend to leave it on the worksurface so it gets used and was surprised to see it was smaller than some of the new breadmakers that were on display in currrys. My childhood memories of them ~ they were huge!

Made my first loaf and very happy as it has a more open texture, maybe better gluten development. Watched a video of dough making on kenwoodworld site and he used upto speed 4 which I found rather fast but you do need a bit of speed to throw the dough off the hook else it just spins round and around on the hook with no kneeding action.
  • andyt8
    edited 3 December 2012 at 12:20PM
    Options
    Tillytot,

Kenwood Chefs been around since the 50's without needing any change to the basic principle. Also so many attachments - even a food processor that goes on the high speed outlet or you can get more traditional drum slicer shredder for the front slow outlet. It will last you for ever and you read about people still using their 20 or 30 yr old models - new accessories still fit the old model even!

I checked the breadmaking forums before purchase and the concenus is that food processors don't make a good job of bread dough kneeding ~ they'll mix it okay but not the kneeding to develop gluten. See my other post as Currys still have the premier version on offer below your £200 price and brand new with liquidiser/blender jug attachment.
  • Rossy2692
    Rossy2692 Posts: 592 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Havent used it today..............as yet lol but am thinking of something to make, might replenish the bread :)
    :j Started my weightloss journey, its neverending!! :j

Weightloss challenge 2/14

:p "Life is like a box of chocolates....you never know what you are gonna get":p
  • andyt8
    Options
    Rossy2692 wrote: »
    Havent used it today..............as yet lol but am thinking of something to make, might replenish the bread :)

My other half made a nice fresh ham and leek soup (to go with my bread) and using the mincer some pate and liver dog treats.
  • marmitepotato
    Options
    Got up early this morning as I wanted 'him' to make me some bread dough. I now have two plain white and one cheese loaf proving in the oven. I might get 'him' to make some choc muffin mixture later.

Andyt8, I am waiting for my mincer attachment to arrive from Kenwood, I would love the recipe for the liver dog treats when you have time. I can make them when my mincer actually does put in an appearance. :)

My name is marmitepotato, and I am an addict! :)
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    andyt8 wrote: »

Made my first loaf and very happy as it has a more open texture, maybe better gluten development. Watched a video of dough making on kenwoodworld site and he used upto speed 4 which I found rather fast but you do need a bit of speed to throw the dough off the hook else it just spins round and around on the hook with no kneeding action.

Interesting.

Firstly congrats on your purchase, that's the boy I went for too, for the same reasons!

On the bread making front, in the recipe book that came with our machine it says to use the dough hook at speed 1 for 4 mins, my bread has been fine, but not as airy as my BM makes the dough. I think I'll give it a go on a higher speed this weekend.

Oh for those that remember my post last week, I now have my 2 bowls and my pandan chiffon cake came out perfect this week as did my chocolate fondants! Two bowls is defo the way to go!
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • marmitepotato
    Options
    I used a higher speed this time too after reading andyt8's post. My loaves are now on their last prove, will report back later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure