MSE News: NS&I inflation-beating savings: stick or twist?

Comments

• kar999
    kar999 Posts: 706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 July 2012 at 11:22PM
    Yep... Having shoveled my full ISA allowances into stocks and shares ISA's for the last two years (mainly in income funds yielding c.5%) I'm grateful for another £15k of tax free savings.
    If the ball had gone in the net it would have been a goal.
    If my Auntie had been a man she'd have been my Uncle.
  • 10_66
    10_66 Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    This may sound like a daft question, but here it is anyway. If I want to find out what my ns&i IL saving certificate is worth, using their interest calculator, it was taken out as a 5 year certificate (I'm aware of the terms around early withdrawal), if I enter 5 years for the term, is that going to give me the rough estimate of what it's worth if it were to be cashed in now (not that I'm thinking of doing so, just interested).
  • It's not a daft question. The answer is yes, it gives a good estimate of the value if cashed in now.
  • 10_66
    10_66 Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It's not a daft question. The answer is yes, it gives a good estimate of the value if cashed in now.

Thanks for the reassurance of the validity of my question :).
  • With inflation dropping is it now time to cash in and dump as much as you can in ISA's
  • oneilly wrote: »
    With inflation dropping is it now time to cash in and dump as much as you can in ISA's
    I certainly would be making sure that you fill up your ISA's first. If you have reached your annual ISA limit (and you are a tax payer) then it may be worth holding on to the remaining index linked bonds as at least the return is tax free.
  • manathome said it. You have to measure the scarcity of this resource before cashing out.

Inflation can drop monthly quite easily, its the yearly averages that probably show a better picture of general direction. Is there a new graph
  • cepheus
    cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
    Looks like it was the right decision to hold them considering the latest inflation figures. Do you think the BOE are rather optimistic on inflation prospects?

The Retail Prices Index measure of the rise in the cost of living rose to 3.2% in October from 2.6% in September, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/banking/2012/11/inflation-up-by-largest-figure-in-two-and-a-half-years
  • Blackdog
    Blackdog Posts: 459 Forumite
    There are so many impacts on inflation that BOE have no influence on so they have a real tough time predicting where it is going. Oil and gas prices are just one thing that can have a major impact on inflation. I have always said it is worth hanging on to these certificates if you have them especially as they are tax free. Inflation will go up and down but the tax situation is static.
  • redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hi I have earnt £915 interest since May 2011 on 15K,better than the best accounts on offer at the moment
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure