Where to get Formula 1 on telly

Comments

• InkZ
    InkZ Posts: 258 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tiexen wrote: »
    Afraid you'd need to move your dish for RTL or add a 2nd LNB on a bracket, its on a different satellite to SKY/Freesat

Yup, but you can use normal Freeview for your english channels :)
  • Millionaire
    Millionaire Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 March 2012 at 7:35PM
    As a new customer you might want to try this. Cannot Guarantee it though

Currently via Topcashback you can get £101 and £100 M&S voucher for getting sky+ installed.

Then when installed they currently have a offer for existing customers of £50.50 cashback and £50 M&S voucher. (could expire depending when sky is installed) for HD upgrade.

So that's a total of £301.50.

Obviously 151.50 is M&S vouchers

Minimum Sky with HD pack is £30.25,

so 12*30.25= £363 - £301.50 = £61.50

/12 = £5.125 per month for sky+HD for a 12month contract and F1 in HD

• Then when installed they currently have a offer for existing customers of £50.50 cashback and £50 M&S voucher. (could expire depending when sky is installed) for HD upgrade.

Apparently 'existing customers' are those who have been with Sky for a minimum of 12 months...
  • Millionaire
    Millionaire Posts: 3,748 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Apparently 'existing customers' are those who have been with Sky for a minimum of 12 months...

I suppose the best then is as a new customer to take Sky+ HD via Topcashback and its then £101 cashback and £100 M&S voucher so £201 in total
  • vale46_2
    vale46_2 Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    InkZ wrote: »
    Get Freesat, tune the dish to German channels, watch it on RTL and listen to it on the radio :)

This
    i have a sat kit setup to get RTL From satellite astra1 @19.2e
    RTL they are showing F1 the full season

(Sky comes from astra2 @28.2e) so to get foreign tv you need the dish pointing at another satellite like 19.2e

one of my kits was the basic Ross complete sat kit Dish.Receiver.leads.etc it cost £25 from B&Q a couple of yrs ago

i can also get other satellites with the kit 13.0e.16.0e.23.5.e
    it gives you access the 100's & 100's of free channels

There's many free channels on astra1 like RTL. SPORT1. ZDF. SAT1. WDR. Eurosport Germany
    so you get loads of free sport.from F1,MotoGp.WSBK.Europa cup
    Champions lge.German Bundasliga.French.Portuguese.Greek football.Boxing (Klitch v Chisora).FA Cup.Darts PDC and loads more from the free channels broadcast around Europe

yes the Commentary is in local language German.Greek etc
    but you can watch loads of free stuff thats often on a pay channel in the uk. kits might be about £50 these days but well worth the outlay imo if you dont mind Foreign lang.

and if your into DIY You can set the dish up ok using dishpointer.com as a guide dont forget your dish dont need to be up high on as roof,chimney it can go on a fence.a shed.low wall,in the garden on a post etc so long as you have a clear line of sight to the sky/satellite without trees / wall blocking where the dish needs to point
    mine is only 4ft off the ground.and i can easy adjust it to get other satellites
  • A very long thread on DS giving many details of the various free versions of Formula 1 for this season and how to receive them - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1510300

Another one on AV Forums that also gives details of subscription channels as well as the free channels - http://www.avforums.com/forums/satellite-tv/1492874-alternative-ways-watch-f1-next-year.html

Foreign language commentary can be solved by tuning a radio to Radio 5 Live and muting your TV sound.
  • scooby75
    scooby75 Posts: 800 Forumite
    Think I'll just stream it online. I was speaking to sky who tried to sell me their wares. They didn't seem to get the fact that no matter how much their packages of God knows what hundred channels of crap cost, I ain't paying for something I will never watch. The desperation in his voice to get a sale was saddening.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for the correction about it being on Virgin. And just to correct post #9 justbiteme2k - the cheapest way is NOT to add sports (and get it in SD) but to add the HD pack for half the price (£10.25) AND get it in HD.
  • neil201
    neil201 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Here's a list of broadcasters and who's showing what:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_broadcasters

RTL are the best bet for showing the non-BBC televised races. What you'd need would be something like a Zone 2 Sky Minidish aligned to 19.2E and a simple Satellite receiver (not Sky branded). Another option if you wanted to make a bit of an investment would be to buy a Humax Foxsat PVR, connect one of the inputs to the 19.2E dish (for the German broadcasts) and the second to another minidish at 28.2E which would get you the UK Freesat service including all the BBC/ITV/C4 and standard Freesat EPG channels.

Paying for all the crap Sky offer just for one channel you really want is expensive. Great if your a general sports fan but just for F1 it's very expensive. This solution will pay for itself fairly quickly in that respect.
  • almillar wrote: »
    Thanks for the correction about it being on Virgin. And just to correct post #9 justbiteme2k - the cheapest way is NOT to add sports (and get it in SD) but to add the HD pack for half the price (£10.25) AND get it in HD.
    His post was referring to Virgin who only supply Sky Sports F1 as part of the Sports Collection and do not do an HD pack - you are referring to Sky subscriptions not VM.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure