working from home contract employer wants me to go in every day

Comments

• Lexie_M
    Lexie_M Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    there are no meetings. they just want me go go in for the sake of it. I asked them why I suddenly need to go in every day and they said it's company policy however I have never been made aware of such policy
  • Have others ( who have resigned) had to do the same thing?
  • Lexie_M
    unfortunately I don't know as I don't have a way of contacting them to ask
  • As already said, your travel time counts as working time so it's ludicrous for them to want you to spend most of your working day driving, with what, just 2.5 to 3 hours in the office?
  • Ask them for proof that it's policy since you're on a WFH contract.

How long is your notice?
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,293 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Could it be a way of ensuring you don't start another job while still on their books?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Sit back and rake in the travel expenses :dance:

Not sure how you can see it as "rake in" when it'll just be repayment of costs that the OP has incurred.
  • Lexie_M wrote: »
    I am on a working from home contract which states I need to attend the office a reasonable amount of times for meetings. Up until now that has been once a month. Since I handed in my notice they are making me go in every day (2.5 hours commute each way). They are only doing this because they want me to leave without serving my notice as they don't want to pay the salary for my notice period.

Has anyone got any advice on how to approach this? Is it surely not legal.

Mmm. They are obviously not happy to lose you . Seems like you’ve ruffled a few feathers for some reason. Is your notice period longer than 1 month? It seems fair though that they are paying expenses.
    Is there a reason that you think your employers are being unfair?
    Have you previously worked away from home from your employers In the past?
    Unless you were single and afford to stay in a b&b for a while , it doesn’t look like there is much that you can do other than carry on and put this behind you.
    It will seem like torture now ( and probably is) , but it will all be over in a matter Of weeks . Hope the situation improves.
  • Lexie_M
    edited 11 January 2018 at 12:11PM
    I think theoretica might be right. they just want to make sure I can't go to interviews.
    the notice is 1 month.
    I don't have any work to do as they have taken all my responsibilities off me and redirected my emails and phone calls. there is no reason for me being there. the other night as I was leaving they said leave you laptop here since you're coming back tomorrow. In 1 year I have had to go to the office a total of 14 times. Now, in my last month, I need to go in every day to do nothing.

there is nothing in my contract about travel time so I still have to be at work for 8 hours plus travel for 5 hours and they are not replying to the questions in my emails. they haven't even confirmed that that will pay the travel expenses as per usual.

they have also said nothing about my holiday which I'm assuming I should still be entitled to for 1 month's work even if it's my notice
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'd still argue that on a working from home contract then your travel time to the office is included in your travel time from your usual place if work. Is home.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure