TASTECARD Using out of date debit card to take money

Ben1941
Ben1941 Posts: 9 Forumite
edited 30 March 2017 at 8:29PM in Going out deals
I had a trial Tastecard in March 2015. However can't use it in Cornwall as hardly any places accept it.

So I rang them to cancel it and they said I couldnt cancel it as it had already been renewed but I could transfer it to someone else, so I transferred it to a friend and Tastecard told me they would remove my details from their database so it didnt automatically renew in March 2016.

Then in March 2016 they renewed it with my debit card. I didnt notice this as I'd recently had 4 bereavements, and a lot of sorting out to do regarding the relatives who had passed away, so this payment had missed my attention.

This week I was checking my bank account and noticed on 18th March Tastecard had taken £35.98 again to renew a Tastecard.

I logged onto Tastecard and noticed I've not had any active cards since 2015, which is when they told me they would remove my bank details from their system.

So I rang them and was told a Manager would have to do a search to see what card the fee was related to, as all my cards had expired, and that someone would phone me back. They didnt.

I rang them again today and was told that the card was transferred to Mr XXX but my bank details were still on the system, so although they had Mr XXX's name, address and email address, they didnt have his banking details and used mine.

Thats when they informed me they had taken a renewal fee in 2016.

I asked them how they could take payment from my debit card this March when the card had expired, the end by date was now different and so was the security 3 digit pin on the reverse of the card.

They said they don't go by any of those things, they just go by the account number.

But if they hadn't removed my bank account details then they are at fault and should refund me.

Mr XXX states he has never received any emails or cards from Tastecard, and they state they have sent them but had no response.

Mr XXX also states he cancelled the card after the first year (2015) as he hadn't used it and didnt want it anymore.

So now Mr XXX won't give me the £71.96, as he thought he'd cancelled the Tastecard, and Tastecard won't refund me as the card is issued to Mr XXX even though they were using my bank details without my consent or knowledge.

So what can I do? I'm absolutely fuming

If Tastecard can take money from someone's inactive Tastecard account or even on someone elses Tastecard account using an old debit card belonging to someone else surely this is against the law??

And what's to stop Tastecard taking another £35.98 from my bank next March. There's no way online to cancel any cards registered with them.

Absolutely shocking company and they should be closed down for fraud.

Will also be contacting my bank in the morning asking how the hell Tastecard could take money out of my bank with an expired debit card. Think I need to speak to the Fraud department.

Comments

• Hi there,

I work in a call centre myself and after reading this I can confirm for you that this isn't fraud; this is the T/C still having your expired details on your system and your bank authorising the payment. I don't believe it would be the fraud team you need to speak to, it would be the banking complaints number.
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Visa has a system where they update retailers with your new card number once a card has expired.

https://usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/global/support-legal/documents/merchant-flyer-vau-and-rtvau-20170615.pdf
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • CBaker
    CBaker Posts: 38 Forumite
    Its happened to me before with a different company. You need to explicitly cancel the subscription for it to stop.
  • This company seems so desperate, it takes money from you in any way it can, have been caught out with their slippery 'auto renewal subscription' process. I had the card for a year and because of the many exemptions and restrictions i didn't use it once! So certainly didn't want it for a second year, however they still took the money from my account and renewed it, only emailing me once they had done it. Some may say I should have seen the terms and conditions, but I got it as a groupon deal and these were not clearly marked. Added to which, how many people, with such busy lives, put a note in their calendar for the following year to cancel the subscription. Not many of course and the company know this, which is exactly why they employ this practice. They said they had sent me a reminder email, but i certainly never got it, so when I mentioned this, they said they only do it as a courtesy and don't have to!! Well you have to ask, why wouldn't they send a reminder, surely if their product is so good, they would be happy to do this as happy customers would have no problem I renewing! Despite many requests for a full refund, they have continually refused citing their terms and conditions over and over again! Hence I have unwillingly paid for a card I do not want and will not use! Surely, it's time something was done about this sort of auto renewal subscription process. Companies should be made to give customers a 14 day cool off period at the very least or ideally be given a full refund if they want one.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    kimnevard wrote: »
    Despite many requests for a full refund, they have continually refused citing their terms and conditions over and over again! ......
    Which you will have accepted when taking out the card in the first place!

Always read contract ts +cs when buying online before ticking you accept them!
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    kimnevard wrote: »
    Added to which, how many people, with such busy lives, put a note in their calendar for the following year to cancel the subscription.

If you have a busy life then that is exactly what reminders are for!.
  • Why should you have to set a reminder, why do companies employ these tactics?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure