Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3

Comments

• Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Penguin..Spoiler alert re. the horse thing.

Charlotte DuJardin has won the gold in the dressage on Blueberry(Allegro!) it's only the second time GB has own gold in the dressage, the other being in 2012! Well-deserved!
    How they train those horses to do such intricate movements is beyond me!
    Apparently it's taken 11years to get Blueberry to this standard!

End penguin spoiler alert.

Gitdog, please take note. :D
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Pyxis
    Forumite
    I love the idea of a brick path maze, Pyxis! That would keep me amused for hours. Well done on tackling so much, I would have loved to have seen what your garden looked like beforehand, those tall plants sound amazing!

I am going to look for Blueberry, that sounds adorable!

I'll dig you out a pic of a former one. They are really ugly in the first year, with huge leaves that turn brown and drop,off, and as the whole,plant is covered in the irritant hairs, it's a pain. But the reward in the second year is worth it.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• Lambyr wrote: »
    Hi Georgie. I don't think it's a dental abscess... at least none of the symptoms really match with what the NHS Choices website lists for a dental abscess. Plus I can definitely feel something that feels like a blockage in my ear and that really does feel like where the pain is radiating from - although I do suppose it could be referred pain. I guess we'll find out later - if the clinic staff can't find anything wrong with my ear or gland then I'll have to book a dentist appointment.

I hope it isn't an abscess as they can be nasty, and I know my friend had to have a bit of work done to get rid of it. I remember when he had it and his face was so swollen on one side and I took to calling him Alvin! :p
    tea_lover wrote: »
    Last time I spoke to him was Saturday morning when he collared me in the street. Obviously I went home pretty sharpish on Friday night after finding out and wouldn't answer the door/phone after that. When I saw him on sat I made it very clear that final chance meant just that, and that he couldn't have blown it more spectacularly if he'd tried.

I've had some long messages since offering the world, trying to explain.... same old. Haven't heard anything today so hopefully he's got the message.

I wouldn't bank on it tea. :( I just hope he doesn't start acting like he did last time.

Pyxis, sounds like you've worked hard in the garden these last few days. Have you thought about getting a weed burner to help get rid of the last weeds, any stubborn ones, and also to help burn off the irritating hairs?

I like the look of Smeg appliances Calley, but I would object to paying that much for what is basically cosmetics.
  • Pyxis
    Forumite
    Images are from the internet......
    This is how the ones I pulled up looked like......they are one year old.

Echium_sp_2_1024x1024.jpg?v=1339967362

And this is how the two I have left might look next year! (They don't all grow that high, but the three I had last year were about 15ft.

NB. This isn't me!!! Nor is this my garden! (I wish!)

Echium,%20Innisbeg.jpg

I must have pulled up more than a hundred over the weekend, not counting the really small ones that were growing under the big ones.

It's an incredibly successful plant.... It will grow in any soil, inc. cracks in paving etc! Animals won't eat it, due to the irritant hairs, and it resists wind and gales and heat and drought. Luckily, the seedlings are very easy to pull up.......all but the thickest stemmed ones I could pull up even with my dicky wrists......otherwise I wouldn't have them.

However, there's only one thing that does them in, and that's sub-zero temperatures. They need to be protected from frost or brought in in winter. My first couple of plants came from the Channel Islands, where they grow like weeds. I diligently covered them in fleece, the first winter I had them, but now I have a permanent supply of seedlings so I don't bother. If the frost gets them, tough! There'll be more!

I live in an area that doesn't really get hard winters, so it's not usually a problem, except that I could have done with a hard frost last winter to kill this lot off!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• They are amazing, Pyxis! I love them! They looks half tropical and half alien. I suppose you can't grow a miniature version in a pot? I want one now!
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
  • Pyxis
    Forumite
    Georgie, with about a hundred 5ft high plants, I think a weedburner might have caused a forest fire!

As long as you've got thick gloves on and no bare arms or legs it's ok. It just means you can't spontaneously pull up a few, you have to go and get gloves.
    They are quite feeble once pulled up, and they wilt quickly, and loppers get through the thicker stems quite easily. It's just the sheer numbers, but they'll melt down, and go in the recycling bin each fortnight.

Even the fully grown 15ft ones, once they've died off, are easy to pull up, although their stems have become more woody. The goldfinches liked eating the seeds left on the dead ones that I hadn't pulled up until this weekend, so I'll leave the next ones all winter for them.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Pyxis wrote: »
    Georgie, with about a hundred 5ft high plants, I think a weedburner might have caused a forest fire!

I mean for the little ones! I saw them on Groupon the other day and fancied one lol! Although known me, I'd probably set fire to the garden shed somehow! :rotfl:
  • Pyxis
    Forumite
    I mean for the little ones! I saw them on Groupon the other day and fancied one lol! Although known me, I'd probably set fire to the garden shed somehow! :rotfl:

Yes! Would be good, but I think they are petrol driven or liquid fuel?

I'm a bit scared of that. If they had an electric one I'd be ok!

Otherwise pulling them up is ok. It's other weeds with longer tap roots that are the pain, and it has to be weedkiller for them.

WaS, you can get smaller varieties of Echiums, but it's the sheer size of these that makes them so spectacular! They are indeed tropical plants, which is why they wouldn't survive the winters in most parts of the UK. They're not very happy being transplanted either, because if you snap a bit of root, they give up and wilt! Obviously the baby ones transplant, and they will grow in big pots.

When I have a couple in the front, people keep stopping and taking photos!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I
    I like the look of Smeg appliances Calley, but I would object to paying that much for what is basically cosmetics.

GG,

Just showed that picture to my lodger and he said its a fridge :rotfl:

Yours

Calley X
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Pyxis wrote: »
    Yes! Would be good, but I think they are petrol driven or liquid fuel?

I'm a bit scared of that. If they had an electric one I'd be ok!

!

They take gas canisters I think?
    calleyw wrote: »
    GG,

Just showed that picture to my lodger and he said its a fridge :rotfl:

Yours

Calley X

It does actually look like one I agree!

I do like the door storage compartment though. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback