PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Tewkesbury today: Nice summer top (White Stuff) for my holidays.
    No more charity shopping for a while, I'm running out of drawer space and really MUST do a wardrobe cull.
    Well ... maybe ... if I spot a REAL bargain .. possibly ........;)
    I like 'White Stuff' stuff. ;)

I took a full shopping trolley load up to our Hospice shop yesterday.
    I've not found many bargains lately but after dropping off my donations, I browsed the books and bought 5 paperback novels for £1.
    I then bought 2 paperbacks for 25p each from the Breast Cancer shop.
    Then a Michael Connelly paperback for 50p from our 2nd Hospice shop.
    Total of £2.00 for 8 books.

Then I walked 20 yards to the Barnados shop and found a different Michael Connelly book - in no better condition than the one I paid 50p for - and it was priced at £1.99.

Did I buy it? What do you think? :rotfl:
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I was talking to a lady today and she does admin work for a local small charity.
    She said that books are 'not selling well' and we wondered if the download phenomenon was killing the market.
    I've also noticed that CDs used to be £1.99 pretty much everywhere but are now being sold at £1 each. Again, is this a downloading thing? Younger people don't want to buy books and records/CDs if they can get them free.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Beenie wrote: »
    I was talking to a lady today and she does admin work for a local small charity.
    She said that books are 'not selling well' and we wondered if the download phenomenon was killing the market.
    I've also noticed that CDs used to be £1.99 pretty much everywhere but are now being sold at £1 each. Again, is this a downloading thing? Younger people don't want to buy books and records/CDs if they can get them free.

That's a good point, Beenie - although I don't know the answer.;)
    I've not embraced Kindles because I like the feel of a book in my hand.
    We read lots of books on holiday so I buy them cheap, read them then leave them for someone else to enjoy.
    When I'm at home, I borrow from the library.

But, as in my post above yours, if charity shops are selling them at £1.99, it's hardly likely to encourage people to buy (IMHO).

I've bought lots of CDs (mainly classical for OH) for 50p from charity shops - he thinks I'm really generous. :rotfl:
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Pollycat - I LOVE Michael Connolly ......but think I've read all of his now :(
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • whitesatin
    whitesatin Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    My husband goes to the library a couple of times a week. Sometimes they sell off used books and he came back yesterday with a book about beaded crochet and another comprehensive crochet book, all for less than £2. As it is my new hobby, I was delighted.

Today he came back from a local charity shop with a "looks like new" hardback copy of Home by Orla Kiely. I will enjoy looking at that, so much. He only paid £1.75 and it is so much more expensive, even second hand, online.

Looking forward to catching up on all my new books this weekend.
  • got-it-spend-it
    got-it-spend-it Posts: 5,016 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 April 2014 at 8:55PM
    Beenie wrote: »

It's an interesting point. I mostly read on my Kindle, but I will pick up cheap paperbacks at charity shops as I like to pass them on to my mum and nan after I've read them, then we donate them back. I also buy loads of children's books in charity shops too....far too many in fact.
    :DYummy mummy, runner, baker and procrastinator :p
  • sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Bought a black sleeveless top with a scoop neck, or crumb catcher as my friend called it, and embossed gold pattern, BNWT for £2. Also got a steam iron which is as good as new for £4 as I dropped and broke mine recently. Means I have to do the ironing though - every cloud and all that ;)
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    This in pale lilac- http://www.superdry.com/womens/tops/details/20766/rugby-34-sleeve-top
    Worth £49.99. From the Samaritans charity shop in Leicester. Marked at £3.49 but they were selling all ladies wear off at £1.99!! Absolute bargain. Well pleased! :) it's not in bad condition either.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    I got a cream Fiorelli handbag, still with the tags on saying £59.99 for £3.50, very chuffed!
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• sparrer
    sparrer Posts: 7,547 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    This in pale lilac- http://www.superdry.com/womens/tops/details/20766/rugby-34-sleeve-top
    Worth £49.99. From the Samaritans charity shop in Leicester. Marked at £3.49 but they were selling all ladies wear off at £1.99!! Absolute bargain. Well pleased! :) it's not in bad condition either.

Has anyone else noticed that some cs's are dropping prices? I live in a rural area with three towns nearby, all of them has at least two cs's that have cut prices to £1 and £1.99. A Dr B opened a couple of weeks ago, they sell nothing over £1.99 - not necessarily ironed but you'd wash it once you got it home anyway. Perhaps they're beginning to realise at last that they've got too much competition with the big chains?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure