ERUDIO student loans help

Comments

• datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    For me no reason not to as my details match what they have.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Unfortunately, there were years where I didn’t defer, because I mistakenly thought I didn’t have to apply for deferment because I was a student in receipt of more student loans. The SLC never seemed bothered about it at the time, and didn’t seem to expect any payments.

So yes, my account is in default by quite a lot, and has been for years. But it hasn’t stopped me successfully applying for deferment in the past, albeit with the SLC.

If Erudio can terminate the agreement and call in the loan, as they are allowed to in case of arrears/default, then they just will.

The fact that SLC mostly chose not to when technically they could have done, was nice of SLC, but they didn't have to.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    datlex wrote: »
    For me no reason not to as my details match what they have.

It's not the details that's the issue, by signing their new DAF you give them all sorts of new rights that they don't have under your original T&Cs.
  • Lungboy wrote: »
    It's not the details that's the issue, by signing their new DAF you give them all sorts of new rights that they don't have under your original T&Cs.

Pretty sure they've simplified their deferment form, and now it's almost identical to the old SLC one in terms of the information they request. There's also no attempt to change the T&C on the latest form, you're just signing to say that the information you have given is complete and accurate.

Has anyone else heard nothing at all since applying to renew their deferment? I sent back the form and supporting evidence almost 6 months ago, but Erudio haven't responded or acknowledged (or ignored it and tried to claim that I'm in arrears). I've heard nothing at all from them. :huh:

Should I just keep sitting quiet or should I be chasing them to find out what they're playing at? Originally I just assumed they were swamped with paper deferment responses (they obviously want people to do it online and saving them a load of data entry), but surprised the still aren't catching up.
  • erudioed
    erudioed Posts: 682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I personally would want it confirmed I am in deferment in some kind of written form. I cant see the benefit of not having this confirmed and being passive about it. Only you have something to gain from being deferred and knowing it. However, if they hadnt deferred you, i am sure the vultures would have been on at you for full payment and the like by now. I would want it confirmed though just in case they have sent it to their legal department and they are planning the next recovery stage.Its their responsibility and part of the process they signed up to to inform us we are deferred in a timely way.
  • erudioed
    I've been looking at this new Open Banking system that we have just implemented on the 13th January in the UK, and it seems particularly open to abuse by vulture companies with an interest in your bank account. For anyone unaware what this Open Banking is, and i was until i read about it on the 13th, you can authorise a company access to your bank account. There are protections in place but how good will they be with many millions of requests to banks etc. The fact that a door has been opened whereby a FCA approved company can gain direct access to your bank account seems amazing to me and another step into some darker Orwellian vision of control. But, for Erudio, Arrow Global, Crapquest etc, is it beyond imagination for them to bypass certain procedures, or indeed, using the unclear and non "plain English" tactics they still use, somehow get us to agree to giving them direct all year access to see every banking transaction we undertake.
    I would suggest examination of all the deferment forms and small print is of paramount importance this year. This goes double so for anyone crazy enough to create an account on its website and give agreement just by agreeing to use its site.
    Just imagine it, a private company can now directly see all your transactional info and monitor everything you do in your bank account.
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Erudio don't have any of my bank details at present. I don't intend giving them to them if at all possible. You don't have to pay by DD. If you are ineligible for deferment there are other ways you can pay.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • I’m super worried after years of complaints since Erudio took over my student loan. I’m a single working mummy and they don’t care about any outgoings, I have to provide proof of my maintenance for my child, but they never ask me how many children this is to support, what their costs are etc. At no point on this court paperwork does it say extra maintenance was requested off her father to pay my student loan. But more seriously now they are after the only money to my name. I had to sell my home when my ex quit his 25 year job as he didn’t want to support his daughter. It isn’t enough for even a 2 bed flat, but I am doing all I can to qualify for the next shared ownership within the school area, up to 9 months I’m told, and in the meantime I will not let the student loans company say this should be there’s. As it is it will be borderline whether it will get me a home as I’m self employed so they won’t give me even a 20K mortgage. And I only have 2 more years until this £1500 is written off.

I am on about 4K a year!! Nowhere near the threshold, but they treat me like a criminal every year when I try and defer.

I also have huge data protection issues, as none of this evidence has changed since last year, yet they want all my confidential info again (and just by email-no secure exchange). When I ask if they have lost this info, they talk around the question. E.g. I have been getting child benefit for 9 years, this never changes, how would I have got a deferment in the first place without this evidence, so why do they need it every year, how are they keeping this amount of records?

They are charging me currently every month I delay (even though its their complaints process that has kept me waiting for 1.5 months already! – exactly the same as last year. Last year I threatened them with the police for harassment)

They threaten that it will negatively effect my credit rating. They are bullies. They even called the day before xmas last year to bully me. I ended up in tears.

Why don't they have to take in to consideration I'm supporting a child, and are they entitled to money from the sale of my home?

Losing my personal data/files is another thing altogether!!! But no amount of complaints makes this issue any better.

Can you please help?
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I can't answer most of your issues, but I don't see why they think they are entitled to money from the sale of your home. It's not income so you don't need to declare it on your forms. How would they even know about it?
  • erudioed
    edited 26 January 2018 at 11:07AM
    Bellaboo123: I am sure most reading this thread know what scumbags the groups behind Erudio are, so you are in good company. You have to reject Erudio's assertions by telling them you wish to file an official complaint, threatening them that you will definitely take this to the Ombudsman. Then you have to wait until they give you their answer. Then you can file a complaint with the Ombudsman. That is unfortunately the only path we have against these vultures.
    You can also reach out to journalists who have covered Erudio in the past, you can find them easily with a google search. With the next batch of student loans in the process of being sold, now will be quite a good time for another newsworthy story about what happens after the loans are sold to these private vultures (this should coincide with this years deferment cat and mouse cycle due to kick off in a couple of months...i wonder what they are planning this year).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback