How long to rebuild credit rating?

Options
I'm in a situation where due to either me or my partner taking time off to study over that last few years that I have built up a fair few number of defaults and a ccj.

Fortunately I'm now in a position to see a massive raise in salary. Looking at something in the region of 30k on top of what I currently earn. This means I should be able to settle ALL my debts within 3 or 4 months.

Currently my credit rating is junk, can't get a mobile phone contract or credit card. How soon can I expect to see my credit start to get better and actually be trusted like a responsible person again?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Depends on what lenders you want to impress.

Once defaults are 2 or 3 years old and settled, you should get some mainstream options, albeit not at the best rates.
  • welly_59
    welly_59 Posts: 315 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The aim is to be in a position to buy a house within 3 or 4 years at a decent mortgage rate.

Only other thing I would like is a car on PCP for the wife at some point within a year
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    With good behaviour, you will have mortgage options.

But car loans will impact affordability. Taking a long term view, consider whether you can buy cheaper cars for cash.
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    With a mortgage they seem to look at affordability more than credit scoring.

I have absolutely no idea if a mortgage lender would overlook 3-4 year old defaults/CCJs tho. To me it seems too soon but I am just speculating.

My sister gets her contract phones via her partner, as she still gets turned down and thats over 5 years ago she defaulted on her mortgage payments.

However she had done no credit rebuilding.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Im sure theres a network you can get a phone contract from. It takes tkme and patience, no need to get a car on pcp just get 1 usjng cash.
  • cjmillsnun
    Options
    Why consider a car on PCP. If you’re getting a 30k pa salary increase then you should be able to pay cash for even a fairly new car within a year.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • Sillymoney
    Options
    30k gross is different to what you will be left with net remember. Get the job before you start making plans. PCP deals are usually quite strict in regards to your credit record. Your credit record could improve quickly depending on how you have managed your recent debt. Ultimately you want to be in a position to go for the best rates, that means your defaults and ccjs need to be 6yrs plus.
  • cjmillsnun
    Options
    Agreed that 30k gross is different to net, however this will still be a substantial difference in pay. A decent car can be had for little money, a nearly new car for less than 10k.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure