Standing charge comparison

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 May 2017 at 1:13PM
    Joyful wrote: »
    All suppliers must now give you a Tariff Comparison rate ( TCR). It's supposed to make it easy to see the charges. It adds unit charge, and discounts and standing charge all together and then gives 1 rate. It is based on industry standard usage but if you look for that it can help.
    But that is, in most cases, a meaningless number. The "UK average consumer" TCR is at best misleading, at worst dishonest. Obviously dreamed up by someone with a poor grasp of numbers. Individual TCRs can be wildly different and completely change the order of tariffs. CEC though does give the TCR based on individual use.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    molerat wrote: »
    Obviously dreamed up by someone with a poor grasp of numbers.

Why not just say "Daily mail" and be done with it?

Darren:rotfl:
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    JerryFr wrote: »
    I know the comparison sites will either estimate or use real annual usage, then find the cheapest options.
    But with a given annual usage, a new tariff with a low standing charge would cost more if usage increases, conversely a new tariff with a higher standing charge (with a lower kWh cost) would exhibit a lower cost increase.
    I would be looking for a low standing charge and then make lifestyle changes to reduce my usage, hence wanting to see standing charge comparisons clearly (not hidden in the tariff description).

I think you have a point.

I've decided to go for the low standing charge high unit charge for the summer, then look at high standing charge with cheaper units for the winter.

If the same spread of tariffs continues, this might save £60 to £80 a year.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    redux wrote: »
    I've decided to go for the low standing charge high unit charge for the summer, then look at high standing charge with cheaper units for the winter.

This is the kind of issue I have with the comparison sites - most of my gas consumption is in three or four months of the year, with a good proportion of that in only two months.

The comparison sites seem to spread the annual consumption over the whole year, and crucially, assume you'll stay with the same supplier for the whole year.

Because my consumption is so low I get a zero SC tariff coming up as the cheapest option, when in reality the very cheapest option would involve switching to a lower unit rate tariff at some point late autumn, and then switching back again in the spring. I'm not sure how happy the energy companies would be if lots of people were advised by comparison sites to switch in that way.

One of the very few benefits of smart meters is that they could be used to build up a profile of household energy use to identify more complex switching patterns than the current comparison sites are able to. I know my profile because I regularly read my meters and add the data to my model, but few people have the time or interest required to do that. Smart metering makes it feasible for mass use.

So the switching sites of the future could perhaps tell you to use supplier A for electricity, supplier B for gas until October, and then switch to supplier C for gas and electric from October until April. Or maybe just cut out the human being altogether and allow the smart meter to pick the energy supplier for the next week based on its own predictions and calculations ;)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You could bodge the comparison by alternately understating and overstating your use.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 May 2017 at 3:43PM
    If the same spread of tariffs continues, this might save £60 to £80 a year.

You'll be excluding any tariffs that have exit fees though & probably also exclude getting any cashback.

It's a pity none of the comparison sites allow you to enter a +% and -% and give those in the results as well, so you can see what will happen for all the results if you manage to reduce your usage or what happens if it increases it. Sometimes there will be a couple of results at the top of the list that are identical/very close and one is likely better for increases and the other better for decreases.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    You could bodge the comparison by alternately understating and overstating your use.
    Hard work on many comparison sites as you need to go back to the start but fairly easy on CEC, right click and open in new tab on "back to my account", edit kWh then get new quote. Just had 3 different usage quotes open at once.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,607 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It's not ever so hard to try out a comparison site with a low, medium or high consumption say 8,000 kwh, 12,000kwh or 16,000kwh (or any other number that you care to try). You can do the same for leccy as well.

I've thought about swapping about, summer & winter but the savings wouldn't really make the hassle worth it. I've got better things to do with my time.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    matelodave wrote: »
    I've thought about swapping about, summer & winter but the savings wouldn't really make the hassle worth it. I've got better things to do with my time.

Tried the same doing comparisons a few months ago to see if it was worth it; but difference was only about £10 a year; so as you say, not worth the hassle, and it cuts out the deals that have exit fees that are higher than the difference.
  • joncombe
    joncombe Posts: 320 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    The problem is with widely varying standard charge and unit prices you are still forced to guess at what your likely usage might be to determine which tariff is cheaper. And you might guess wrongly or the weather over winter be unusually warm or cold, effecting your usage and hence whether you are on the best tariff. So we have the TCR which attempts to generate a single price based on average usage, but it's a fudge at best.

Really standing charges should be fixed (they are supposed to be about recovering "fixed costs") or abolished so that then there is only a single price to compare (the unit price).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure