How do I know it's my gas meter?

Hi all. Firstly, I'm new to renting - I've recently just moved out from my parents. This is all confusing to me so I'm going to try and explain it the best I can.

The property I rent is a 3-bed apartment on top of a business Mon-Friday. It's basically a head quarters with some offices in etc. My gas meter is located within that building as the apartment was converted a few years back. Inside the business building, in a cupboard, there are 2 gas meters. A large one and a small one.

I only moved in 3 weeks ago so on the Sunday morning (day after moving) I called my gas grid or whatever they're called and asked them if they could tell me the details for my gas meter (serial number etc) so that I knew which gas meter I'd be getting the readings from.

On the Monday I went down and one of the women who worm there showed me the two meters. She told me that she takes the readings from the big one so presumes the smaller gas enter us ours. I said ok, but took photographs of them both just in case.

After speaking with EON, they gave me a different serial number to the gas board and this would be the serial number for the bigger gas meter (which they say they use)

My only issue is, I've now changed providers and reading the difference in the readings, after just 19 days there, my gas bill has come to around £35 which seems excessive considering I don't have the heating on and only use gas for hot water / showers.

Can anyone help I a definitive way to know which meter is mine? Is there any number I can call that can tell me the correct serial number etc?

All help is appreciated

Thanks!

Comments

• I should add - this gas meter is a "split" meter of some sort. Originally, it was just the bigger gas meter but since they had the apartment, to separate the bill, they had another gas meter installed off of the main one. If that helps.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Turn off the one you think is yours, see what happens.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • That, is actually, a pretty good idea. Thanks!
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    If the supply passes through the 'big' meter first, then it must be a private sub-meter. Does the serial number on your bill match that on either meter?
    I'm not clear what you mean by the 'gas board'? They were abolished at the time of privatisation, back in the 1980's.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,324 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There's another way I used to convince myself I wasn't going mad when my gas supplier started billing me for the wrong meter.

It works best on a nice warm day when any gas central heating is off.

Make sure you're not using any gas. Pop downstairs and see if either meter is turning.

Then turn on a gas appliance - perhaps a gas cooker, or turn the thermostat up on the heating so it starts up.

Pop downstairs and look at the meters again. The one that has just started turning is yours.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    As above, but popping up & down the stairs isn't the best way to check

Whilst you watch the meter, have a mate with a mobile phone turn your gas appliances ON/OFF to your order, the meter should react exactly to your commands
  • I mean the Meter Point Helpline - apologies!
  • Basically, they both have serial numbers but not a Meter Point Reference.

I've reported this to my energy supplier for them to chase up. But I do believe it is the incorrect gas meter. I will try all the recommendations that you have all suggested. Thanks!
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I'm a little surprised that you've had a bill only 19 days after moving in. Your switch will not have been completed.

Is this from Eon and is Eon your new supplier ?

Do the readings match the one you gave to the original supplier? Are the readings on the bill estimated or actual?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 May 2017 at 2:51PM
    Hi all. Firstly, I'm new to renting - I've recently just moved out from my parents. This is all confusing to me so I'm going to try and explain it the best I can.

The property I rent is a 3-bed apartment on top of a business Mon-Friday. It's basically a head quarters with some offices in etc. My gas meter is located within that building as the apartment was converted a few years back. Inside the business building, in a cupboard, there are 2 gas meters. A large one and a small one.

I only moved in 3 weeks ago so on the Sunday morning (day after moving) I called my gas grid or whatever they're called and asked them if they could tell me the details for my gas meter (serial number etc) so that I knew which gas meter I'd be getting the readings from.

On the Monday I went down and one of the women who worm there showed me the two meters. She told me that she takes the readings from the big one so presumes the smaller gas enter us ours. I said ok, but took photographs of them both just in case.

After speaking with EON, they gave me a different serial number to the gas board and this would be the serial number for the bigger gas meter (which they say they use)

My only issue is, I've now changed providers and reading the difference in the readings, after just 19 days there, my gas bill has come to around £35 which seems excessive considering I don't have the heating on and only use gas for hot water / showers.

Can anyone help I a definitive way to know which meter is mine? Is there any number I can call that can tell me the correct serial number etc?

All help is appreciated

Thanks!
    I should add - this gas meter is a "split" meter of some sort. Originally, it was just the bigger gas meter but since they had the apartment, to separate the bill, they had another gas meter installed off of the main one. If that helps.

Which meter reading was agreed and recorded on your ingoing inventory/statement of condition?

What were you told about paying for your gas cosnumption? i.e to who?

Sounds like you have just opened a gas account for the whole building's consumption :eek:
    If so, not sure how you would have switched too as it sounds like a commercial supply, and such a supply typically requires about 3 months notice to switch supplier (if they allow it at all before the contract ends)

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport