Add your feedback on energy supplier Sainsbury’s Energy

Options

Comments

• woozywendy
    Options
    I have had no problem with Sainsburys....my problem was with my old supplier not accepting my final meter readingas they kept saying I or SE had not supplied one . Sainsburys were very helpful in telling me what I could do as SP were not listening to SE either. I eventually spoke to a supervisor/manager at SP and told them to go into their meter section where every company has access to and find it or I would be contacting the ombudsman for the delay and they would be able to find it as it states the date you gave it as well and it cannot be altered. It was done within 3 days and I had my refund back.
  • Jacobhc
    Jacobhc Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 2 September 2015 at 6:28PM
    Options
    Mum is with npower and been getting onto them for various fiascos, looked at Sainsburys and now this has put me off...Customer service so bad these days I have had to resort to tweeting to getting it sorted! We did thanks to twitter get £300 compensation due to distress and you name it after they got us into debt by lowering DD thru winter....Great review and what would our mothers do without us, and elderly too... The energy companies to not make it easy for those that find this confusing and don't want hassle to change, same for Mum...I even find it confusing!! I'm impressed that "Which" now have comparison site showing best energy companies too for customer service! Hope all ok for your Mum now...Best wishes.

ianfabris wrote: »
    Not read other peoples feedback or comments, so do not mean to dispute or disagree with anyone else, but I am absolutely livid with Sainsburys Energy.
    My dad died last year, but while he was with us, he absolutely refused to change from British Gas or BT, because of all the scare stories and nonsense quoted in the popular press. For years, I tried to convince him that sticking with BT & BG were costing him financially and he was getting a poorer service by not changing, but he never budged stating that switching was too painful.
    Dad had always looked after the bills, so on top of the grief of her loss, my mum had all the stress of changing accounts into her name, so we did it for her. When I saw what she was being charged, I was shocked but decided not to stress her out any more. However, 6 months later, when the fixed term contract was over, I sat her down and did a search for her. She didn't want to change, but I convinced her that if she went with Sainsbury's, she'd still be getting her gas and electricity for British Gas, but at a lower cost. She agreed, so we transferred her Gas and Electricity across to SE. That was January.
    A few weeks ago, she told me she was concerned that she wasn't being billed correctly and showed me her bill. I asked her for the rest of it ... that was it she said. It turns out that they hadn't billed her for any electricity for the entire period. They have now recalculated her bill and she is paying £30 a month more than she was under BG and I have now got no chance of ever getting her away from British Gas again .... fuming, absolutely fuming.
  • duncansby
    Options
    Switched from BG to Sainsburys - everything went smoothly and have had no problems. Surprised, but pleased that Sainsburys are using my smart meter to take readings. Their website is even identical to BGs
  • Thebiguglyone
    Options
    I joined sainsburys early this year on the fixed price December 2015 deal. Switch went fine, no problems to report. I have today called to switch to their new offer - price promise October 2016 (rated 2nd on cheap energy club). Customer service excellent, switched me over without any fuss.
  • starpeer
    Options
    Slightly appalled that the feedback for Sainsbury's Energy has been so poor but may give it a go. Can anybody tell me if the deposit that they charged earlier in the year which dominated this thread at the time,for the MSE Big Fix applies to new individual customers. Also whether they charge a fixed monthly direct debit. or an actual cost each month. I have found that suppliers vary a great deal in their billing systems and the frequency of their statements and this can be very irritating. Thanks for advice.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I joined sainsburys early this year on the fixed price December 2015 deal. Switch went fine, no problems to report. I have today called to switch to their new offer - price promise October 2016 (rated 2nd on cheap energy club). Customer service excellent, switched me over without any fuss.

On Sunday i switched from the tariff that I was on, that is ending at the end of this month to the Price Promise October 2016 tariff which was cheaper than the standard tariff they were going to put me on.

All relevant emails concerning the move have been received by myself and i am hoping the next 12 months will be as trouble free as the previous 12 months have been.
  • jhd391
    Options
    After 2 bills I became suspicious that there was something wrong with billing - Sainsburys estimated that my usage for the year would be 45,000kWh rather than the 15,500Kwh I had estimated. They upped my DD from 85 to 145. After a lot of time trying to work out why my usage had, apparently, trebled I discovered that although i was giving meter reading in Cubic Meters, Sainsbury's were billing me for cubic feet and hence they were multiplying the usage by a conversion factor of x 2.83.!! The meter serial number is 2005 ***** clearly a new meter that measures in cubic metres, readings were given as 5 figure numbers (cubic ft are in 4 figure numbers) and my previous supplier billed me in cubic metres and that info would have been transferred when I switched. To make matters even worse I had a very unhelpful conversation with Complaints when I complained. As has been mentioned before - why don't Sainsburys include a simple algorithm in their billing to flag up bills which are clearly not in accordance with estimates or common sense. Appalling
  • codger
    codger Posts: 2,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    duncansby wrote: »
    Switched from BG to Sainsburys - everything went smoothly and have had no problems. Surprised, but pleased that Sainsburys are using my smart meter to take readings. Their website is even identical to BGs

Er, no surprise there, then.

Sainsbury's Energy does. . . not. . . exist.

"Sainsbury's Energy is a trading name of British Gas" is a statement of fact BG is legally obliged to make in the small print text at the bottom of letter headed correspondence.

British Gas pays a heft sum to Sainsbury's to exploit the goodwill attaching to the Sainsbury's name -- "gilt by association" is what it's known as in advertising circles -- on account of British Gas having so lousy a public image that it seemed A Good Idea to re-invent itself as something else.

Time and again on this thread posters give every appearance of thinking British Gas and Sainsbury's Energy are separate companies. They're not. As for the stuff that appears on the SE website and is over-printed on stationery about happy-to-be-working-with-British-Gas: that's all part of the con trick.
    jhd391 wrote: »
    After 2 bills I became suspicious that there was something wrong with billing - Sainsburys estimated that my usage for the year would be 45,000kWh rather than the 15,500Kwh I had estimated. They upped my DD from 85 to 145. After a lot of time trying to work out why my usage had, apparently, trebled I discovered that although i was giving meter reading in Cubic Meters, Sainsbury's were billing me for cubic feet and hence they were multiplying the usage by a conversion factor of x 2.83.!! . . . As has been mentioned before - why don't Sainsburys include a simple algorithm in their billing to flag up bills which are clearly not in accordance with estimates or common sense. Appalling

Sainsbury's, otherwise known as British Gas, has developed more algorithms relating to customer usage patterns / predictive consumption than any other energy supplier. That the simplest of that elementary math has failed to be used in your case is not because the algorithm doesn't exist but because the competency of the individual responsible for billing you doesn't exist.

A formal complaint taking 20 minutes to write and sent by snail mail to this supplier will automatically initiate the 8-week pre-Ombudsman process. Telephone conversations don't count for anything when it comes to contending with the moronic behaviour so typical of the UK energy supply industry so all such conversations will likely prove "unhelpful" whether or not, at the time, they appear to be the opposite.
  • CodgerTim
    Options
    Currently with BG, but thought I could save a few pounds by switching to Sainsbury Energy. Even though this is just another brand-name of BG, I have just been informed by SE that my BG smart-meters cannot be used (smartly, that is). It appears I can take readings myself and either phone them in or submit them on-line, but then a meter reader has to visit every 90 days!

Even though my meters are in an awkward position and access difficult, I thought I could live with that for a while, only to be told that although there was theoretically a Government deadline for ALL meters to be 'smart', Sainsbury's currently has no plans to install any! I know for some, that would be good news, but believe me...smart-meters are great.

Both Sainsbury 'Sales' and 'Customer-service' have confirmed this information.

I feel I need to think again......hmmmm....
  • CodgerTim
    CodgerTim Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 14 December 2015 at 8:26PM
    Options
    Interesting comments here from 'codger' as to whether SE and BG are the same company....but further to my post above about considering switching from BG to SE and me NOT being able to use existing BG smart-meters.

I have just been told by SE that they cannot use or access my BG smart-meters because they are TWO COMPLETELY SEPARATE companies!

No doubt it's similar to BT Wholesale supposedly being a different company to BT Openreach etc etc. (Companies within companies)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback