PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Overlockers - advice please!

Comments

• Yes, I think I should too, before I get rumbled. :o

Can someone show me the way out please? :D

Too late, Mr BE! You've been overlocked!!

Beemuzed, to be honest I hardly ever use my overlocker either:o , Rikki has clearly really taken to hers and uses it far more than I do. I do use mine for seam finishes and the occasional narrow/rolled hem (makes a beautiful hem) if I'm making clothes for me but when I'm using silks, satins etc for bridal wear or special occasion stuff, I tend to use other seam finishes because I find the overlocked seam is often too heavy for the fabric.

LOL at Rikki's son!! Mine is just the same, just likes dressing up I think :eek: :eek:

Please don't let me put you off though, I wouldn't be without my machine really, it's very useful when I need it and gives a good professional finish on garments etc.

Mrs F
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Too late, Mr BE! You've been overlocked!!

Beemuzed, to be honest I hardly ever use my overlocker either:o , Rikki has clearly really taken to hers and uses it far more than I do. I do use mine for seam finishes and the occasional narrow/rolled hem (makes a beautiful hem) if I'm making clothes for me but when I'm using silks, satins etc for bridal wear or special occasion stuff, I tend to use other seam finishes because I find the overlocked seam is often too heavy for the fabric.

LOL at Rikki's son!! Mine is just the same, just likes dressing up I think :eek: :eek:

Please don't let me put you off though, I wouldn't be without my machine really, it's very useful when I need it and gives a good professional finish on garments etc.

Mrs F

I better keep an eye on mine then. :rotfl:

:think: Maybe its just a phase.

The rolled hem is one I haven't tried yet.
    Is it one you would use for a tablecloth? I fancy making one and some tablemats for christmas.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Depends on the fabric I think, I usually use a narrow hem on stuff like that although if you sew across the grain you sometimes get little whiskers of thread poking through the stitches. I made Christmas napkins out of quilting cotton and roll hemmed them with shinyish thread (bought from www.empressmills.co.uk) which looked OK, the shiny thread takes a bit more patience, you have to sew s-l-o-w-l-y with it or else it snaps.

Don't think I've made a tablecloth using the overlocker; I think I turned a small hem on the last one I did (about 100 years ago), I'm not keen on sewing furnishings so avoid them like the plague if possible:o . Can't see why you couldn't, though, as long as the fabric wasn't too thick - otherwise the stitches would end up too far apart.

Hopefully the dressing up is just a phase, although he is 21 now....:rotfl: he likes to wear pinstripe suits to uni although he gets horribly teased about it - just a style icon really:D

Mrs F
  • Both myself and my mother have a Janome/New Home combi which is two machines in one. A regular sewing machine on one side, turn it round and its an overlocker. I got mine second hand after using my mums as they dont make them any more. My mum also has a My Lock overlocker which has 4 threads and she is happy with that too. I think its made by the same people.

We both bought ours from a local sewing machine shop which also does spares/repairs and servicing which is handy.
  • Hi
    I have a 4 thread Janome [My Lock] but only usually use 3 threads. It came with a video [I bought it quite a while ago now] and an instruction book. It also has colour coding on all the threading parts to make it easier to thread which is very useful. I also use a Janome sewing machine and would recommend all Janome machines as they are real 'work horses'.
    I did have one very embarrassing moment with my overlocker though, the needles you use with it are ball point needles - the type you would use to sew knitted fabrics. When I broke my first needle I completely forgot this and put an ordinary needle in and the machine wouldn't sew properly, in a panic I called out an engineer to fix it as I was in the middle of making 6 bridesmaid dresses only for him to come, look at the machine, sigh loudly and then change the needle!
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I attended the recent International Textile Machinery Exhibition in munich, where I came across this company
    Which have Overlockers starting at £99.95 inc delivery and a 25 Yr warranty.
    While I was at the stand when a Turkish Delegate ordered 80Ks worth of machinery, that was paid for and delivered the next day ready for work. The same gent came to our stand, and he owns the factory in Turkey that makes Levi, Gap and Diesel jeans, So if its good enough for them.
  • Have you seen this site:

http://www.thesewingforum.co.uk/index.php

Keith
  • Hi

If your sewing machine is okay you only need a 3 thread one.

I've had a Brother 3 thread machine for 16 years and I've rarely wanted to have a 4 thread one. Easy threading is the key though.

Good luck with it. When you get one spend a few hours playing with it!
  • Suzy_M
    Suzy_M Posts: 777 Forumite
    Assuming your machine is threaded up correctly in the first place:-

When you've finished with your current thread cut it off at the spool end leaving the surplus threaded through your machine.

Next time you need to rethread tie the new thread to the cut end of the old and gently feed through the machine. If you are lucky the knot will go through the needle if not cut off knot and thread through. (You've still got the needle to thread but at least you know the thread is on the correct path.)
  • My wife has used a Toyota overlocker for several years, loves it and has had no problems. She uses it a lot - it is 4 thread and I think the model is SL3314 which sells at about £150 now:

www.sewlow.co.uk/toyota-sl3314-overlocker.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport