"Dog owners who let their pets growl at strangers could face £2,500 fines" - oh dear

Comments

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Mine growls at his own farts, he also growls and barks to play as it is his way of saying "chase me".
  • Francesanne
    Francesanne Posts: 2,081 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    So what's the fine for a growl at traffic signs and balloons in trees?

I kid you not - mine has growled at all the above and more. Usually when its something he wasn't expecting.
    Mine growls at a stone gnome!
  • krlyr
    krlyr Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    And we'll end up with a generation of dogs who are taught not to growl, so instead go straight to the bite when pushed beyond their threshold. Growling is good!
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    edited 24 October 2014 at 8:35PM
    krlyr wrote: »
    and we'll end up with a generation of dogs who are taught not to growl, so instead go straight to the bite when pushed beyond their threshold. Growling is good!

exactly this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

besides - above mentioned staffy had 'play' growl and a 'Sod off' growl..........I could easily tell the difference and so could the kids. but a stranger wouldn't be able to.
  • Does this apply to police dogs? Or to the Queen's corgis (which apparently can be nippy little things)?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    Mine growls when she's trying to "talk"...if you didn't know her, you'd think she was growling for real but she does it purely to communicate.

She hasn't got a nasty bone in her body but I don't fancy having to prove that in court!
  • Forgot to mention dog also growls when he's stolen something (walking hat etc) and he's just drawing attention to the fact hoping we'll chase him around for it.....
  • Francesanne
    Francesanne Posts: 2,081 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    So what's the fine for a growl at traffic signs and balloons in trees?

I kid you not - mine has growled at all the above and more. Usually when its something he wasn't expecting.
    Covers on motorbikes spook mine.
  • mellymoo74
    mellymoo74 Posts: 6,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    meritaten wrote: »
    exactly this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

besides - above mentioned staffy had 'play' growl and a 'Sod off' growl..........I could easily tell the difference and so could the kids. but a stranger wouldn't be able to.

My two sound like its world war thred when their playing, theres also the this now mine growl to indicate a robbed thing.

Froo is very snappy following the attack last year thats why she gets walked on a lead and any dogs off lead that try to come up the owners grt short shrift.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    I'm expecting a law banning cats from making that awful yowling sound, or cows from mooing between the hours of 11pm and 7am next.

Growling, or making other grumbly, growly type sounds is one of the main ways that dogs communicate. How does this fit in with the RSPCAs five freedoms, one of which is the freedom to express natural behaviour, isn't it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure