Fridge/Freezer Repair advice

Hi,

I have a Hotpoint fridge/freezer that was left in the house we moved into as part of the buying process. I would estimate it to be around 3 yrs old.

Recently it has started making more noise than usual when the motor/cooling mechanism starts up, sometimes this noise is only as it starts up - other times it's continuous.

When you open the freezer door (the mechanism is behind the ice compartment at the top) you can hear this noise - it's quite loud and sounds as if something is loose or rattling?

It doesnt happen all the time and has died down over the last few days and gone back to normal but it started again last night?

The performance of the fridge and freezer seems to be unaffected but I know it needs looking at before it stops altogether.

Has anyone got any experience of fixing such appliances? Any idea what it could possibly be and how much it's gonna cost me? (I know my technical explanation above may be lacking in detail - sorry)

Really I dont wanna fork out a 50 quid call out charge for someone to come and tell me it's gonna cost 100 quid+ to fix - I would rather put the 50 quid towards a new fully warranted fridge/freezer.

I have also seen on hotpoints site that their current range of fridge/freezers comes with a 5 yr parts warranty - I dont know if my current fridge/freezer came with a similar warranty but, would anyone know if

A) is this warranty transferable from the original purchaser of the appliance?

and

B) if it has to be an engineer from Hotpoint who comes out to make the diagnosis?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Paul

Comments

• The primary moving part in a fridge or freezer is the compressor. When the compressor is working, you can always hear something. In between times, it isn't turning because the fridge is already cold enough, and the compressor can take a rest.

If the compressor itself is making excessive noise, it could be that the fridge has lost some refrigerant through a leak. Have you noticed the cooling efficiency diminish?

Or perhaps the compressor bearings were damaged in a move.

Or maybe the compressor is resonating or vibrating against another loose panel, even if there is nothing wrong with the compressor itself.

My gut feeling is that it would probably be uneconomic to have the fridge re-gassed, or the compressor replaced, like for a car. Domestic fridges should never leak because they are built in a different way to the air con for cars. If it's a simple vibration, then repair might be an option.

I hope this helps.

Regards
    George
  • pjrouse
    pjrouse Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The primary moving part in a fridge or freezer is the compressor.  When the compressor is working, you can always hear something. In between times, it isn't turning because the fridge is already cold enough, and the compressor can take a rest.

If the compressor itself is making excessive noise, it could be that the fridge has lost some refrigerant through a leak. Have you noticed the cooling efficiency diminish?

Or perhaps the compressor bearings were damaged in a move.

Or maybe the compressor is resonating or vibrating against another loose panel, even if there is nothing wrong with the compressor itself.

My gut feeling is that it would probably be uneconomic to have the fridge re-gassed, or the compressor replaced, like for a car. Domestic fridges should never leak because they are built in a different way to the air con for cars. If it's a simple vibration, then repair might be an option.

I hope this helps.

Regards
    George

Thanks so much George !!

I havent noticed any leaks but will double check tonight - plus it seems to be as efficient as always so that could rule that out.

It hasnt been moved in the year we have been there so again hopefully that should rule that out.

It does sound like somethings loose as it is a kind of resonance/vibration type noise - i will take out all the drawers etc and check - however if it was such a thing - would it happen all the time or does the compresser have different speeds ? - ie it happens only when the compresser is working hardest ??

Thanks again

Paul
  • Paul

I'm not sure the compressor works harder at some times than others, but I could be wrong. The main issue is called cycling; whether the compressor is off or on, and for how long.

There could also be a manufacturing fault, I guess, whereby the compressor is just noisy. A domestic fridge is almost hermetically sealed with a charge of refrigerant, which varies between a gas and a liquid at various stages of the cooling process, plus a quantity of oil, which is carried round by the refrigerant. The purpose of the oil is to lubricate the compressor. If gas is leaking, then oil will also escape and the compressor would start making a noise in the absence of enough lubrication, on its way to complete failure.

There are other more obscure reasons why the compressor may make a noise, but all these reasons come within the category of 'uneconomic repair' in my opinion. The best hope you have, is that the noise is really just vibration.

Regards
    George
  • HI

My fridge freezer is only two years old and i dont know why it has suddnely stopped working, all lights on inside and outside but warm inside also the beepng sound when door left open no longer makes that sound, who do i call if 12 months warrenty over and its still like new, and i dont want to pay a fortune.
    i have tryed turnng it on and off also nothing happening help ....
  • kwatt
    kwatt Posts: 711 Forumite
    Hi Janet,

A make and model would be helpful as well as what type it is, frost free, normal etc.

K.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. Its what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Sorry to hijack this, but I have an LG side by side fridge freezer (without the external ice dispenser) and it has been moved around our kitchen a few times in the past three weeks while we've been having work done in our kitchen.

I've noticed a slow, intermittant dripping noise coming from low down inside the back of the fridge. I'm pretty sure it wasn't making this noise before. The fridge is due to be move yet again this week (for the last time hopefully) when our flooring is laid.

The temperature seems OK in both the frisge and the freezer, but I'm worried that moving it around so much has damaged it in some way.

It's about five years old, so well out of guarantee.

Any ideas?
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Shamelessly bumping this...
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • Was wondering if anyone can help me I have a samsung RL41WGTB fridge freezer that is only 13 months old & has stopped working there is also a constant clicking noise coming from behind the appliance has any one else had a problem like this
  • Jake'sGran
    Jake'sGran Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    I am worried about ours as I hate the thought of things going off. The fridge is warm and freezer is as normal, things freeze. I bought a new thermostat as recommended on here. Boss man convinced he fitted it correctly but nothing has changed. Now frantically looking for new FF
    but cannot find one of the right size (148cms tall). It's just all too much:( By the way, the FF does make the usual noises like turning itself on and then off. I even heard some noises like ice cracking but situation still the same.
  • Hi,

Followed this thread with interest.

I have a Hotpoint fridge freezer which works fine. However it is really noisy, occasionally sounding like falling rocks. Probably the sound of breaking & falling ice. I have tried to sneak up on it when the noise starts but haven't managed to pinpoint it.

Any ideas gratefully received - it's keeping th dog awake!.

Regards - Andy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport