Have to run a line over our neighbours' fence

Options
Hi all,

After several engineer visits, it turns out that our property doesn't actually have a phone line. BT quoted us almost £8k(!) to get one installed- we poiltely declined. One of the Openreach engineers helpfully suggested that we get permission from our neighbours to run a cable along their fences, which would mean we could connect to the nearest telegraph pole- so that's what we're going to try to do.

My question is, has anyone had to do something similar before? Does it need to be written confirmation? Does it have to be from the owner rather than the tenants? If so, how do we find them?..

Edit: the title should read 'fences', as it's 3 or 4 properties we'll have to attach the cable to.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Try Virgin?

They claim to have a construction crew, that can move mountains, and certainly bury cables, but every team they actually sent just wants to lay a green corrugated tube on the surface of my front garden. Which is kind of what BT wants to do here.

A surface run is actually better than burying it, as you can't cut through it accidentally because you didn't know it was there. The only disadvantage is it's an eye sore.
  • head-banger
    Options
    permission will have to come from the owner of the neighbouring house for BT to be able to do this.

i have done couple of jobs like this once BT has received permission from the house owner.

as for finding them can you not ask for contact details from the tenents?
  • Thanks both.

I have tried Virgin, they simply told us they couldn't lay cable to our house.

I will ask the neighbours, but I'd be surprised if they all knew their landlord's details. Worth a try, though. BT have since told me that they will get the permission from the neighbours for us- so we'll see how that goes...

Believe it or not from the topic, but I live in North London.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure