How to stop housemartins nesting below roof

Comments

• For many years I've had this problem and this is the only solution that fully worked. Housemartins will come back annually to haunt and share their poo.. SO: Remove all trace of the nests with a hose. Fill any holes in the area (it's quite possible that over years they have penetrated under the eaves into the roof space. Fill it with a cement or silicon (do not use expandide). Then install a product called BirdBan or there are plenty similar products normally reserved for pigeons... They are cheap plastic spikes you can buy on ebay. Install them under the eaves where the inner spike is about an inch from the wall and you will never be bothered again. Finally I've seen a few posts from those who obviously like to wallow in bird poo year after year and whilst I do not advocate cruelty or breaking the law it may be best to wait til after autumn to do this. In the meantime you can think positive about these last poo and filth filled days as your last. :rotfl:
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    Troll alert.................................no feeding please......
  • We tried numerous methods, despite the fact we love the birds the front of our house always had a dirty mark down the pebbledashing. The roof is quite high so hard to access to powerwash and we do not want the dashing painted. Our solution was to grow a Virginia Creeper (Boston Ivy) up the house. This is vigorous after the third year of planting, but unlike regular ivy clings on with with a type of sucker effect rather than damaging roots like regular ivy. It will cover the front of the house for the duration of spring and summer so the birds poop on the leaves which will turn crimson and then fall off to be composted in the Autumn. Therefore both bird poop and leaves are recycled and the dirty wall remains hidden. I will only have to keep the ivy trimmed out of the reach of the roof by a foot or so once or twice a year. As I stated, our roof is really high so for a regular house or bungalow this will be much more manageable.
    Wisteria would also do, but needs some support.
    Hope this idea helps someone
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Could you not install a wide shelf just under the location where they nest so that all the dropping land on the shelf rather than dropping onto the bench below?
    I love these birds and as somebody else as pointed out, they're protected by law. They have a tough life with the thousands of mile they and their youngsters have to fly every year and with the building of modern houses, suitable nesting places become fewer and fewer. Often they will nest in the same place for life, so it's worth trying to come up with a solution which will accommodate them.
  • worbikeman
    worbikeman Posts: 2,971 Forumite
    How to stop housemartins nesting below roof

I find living in a high rise block of flats helps.
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Which part of the company do you work for frontline?

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • keystone
    Oh and the website frontline mentions seems to be owned by an organisation calling itself Frontline Promotions. Obviously no imagination whatsoever. So I'm calling this as :spam:.

Cheers
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    :spam:Yep me too........
  • keystone
    @ Frontline:

From the forum rules:
    MoneySavingExpert.com is a free site - you cannot pay to buy space - one of the reasons why so many people use it! Equally you are not allowed to advertise any goods, services and/or companies anywhere on the forum, or through private messages (PMs), no matter how honourable the intention.

'Advertising' includes touting for business; asking people to contact you; posting e-mail addresses which indicate a web address; linking to sites or blogs you or friends are involved in (whether you’re selling something or not), or to your eBay or other auction sales.
    It shows a distinct lack of imagination to use your company name as your user name (actually thats also against forum rules BTW) which made it all the easier to dioscover that you really were just using the forum to advertise your products - thats called spam and rather frowned upon.

I hope that answers your question.

Cheers
  • I wouldn't want to hurt any animal however when you have no sleep what so ever because they are running around I'n your roof so much so that I have considered sleeping I'n my lounge something has to be done!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure