Intelligent Finance - How do you pay in cheques

I've looked over the intelligent finance website and cant seem to find how you pay in cheques - i went to halifax today and they said that they couldnt pay in the cheques and i would have to send them off but to a address i dont know! Any help?

Comments

• You can't normally unless you find a helpful Halifax or Bank of Scotland branch (I think they are all Halifax in England?) We had no problems paying in at the local Bank of Scotland in Scotland, though paying in cash was a pain because they treated it as a cheque so needed at least a week from paying it in for it to clear.

On moving to England the Halifax flatly refused to let us pay in cheques even though they are the same group. Downright snotty they were and the upshot is I closed the IF account and vowed never to have anything to do with Halifax again.

Answer is you have to post them. If you ring IF they will send you some envelopes, but be aware that they take a few days to register on your account, then take 5 working days to clear.

Can't see any advantage with IF anymore - it was fine when they were one of the only internet accounts, but now everyone does it
  • M_Thomson
    M_Thomson Posts: 1,596
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    chriseast wrote: »
    You can't normally unless you find a helpful Halifax or Bank of Scotland branch (I think they are all Halifax in England?) We had no problems paying in at the local Bank of Scotland in Scotland, though paying in cash was a pain because they treated it as a cheque so needed at least a week from paying it in for it to clear.

On moving to England the Halifax flatly refused to let us pay in cheques even though they are the same group. Downright snotty they were and the upshot is I closed the IF account and vowed never to have anything to do with Halifax again.

Answer is you have to post them. If you ring IF they will send you some envelopes, but be aware that they take a few days to register on your account, then take 5 working days to clear.

Can't see any advantage with IF anymore - it was fine when they were one of the only internet accounts, but now everyone does it

Its not a problem with Halifax being snotty. If is not a branch based account and Halifax is not a clearing bank. IF is a Subsidary of HBOS and is run seperate to Halifax and BOS. There is no possible way for Halifax to accept credits to IF accounts using a bank Giro system that clearing banks use. BOS which is part of HBOS like Halifax is a clearing bank and that explains why they could take the credits for IF. When you got a welcome Pack from IF surely it would have explained all this.
  • M_Thomson wrote: »
    Its not a problem with Halifax being snotty. If is not a branch based account and Halifax is not a clearing bank. IF is a Subsidary of HBOS and is run seperate to Halifax and BOS. There is no possible way for Halifax to accept credits to IF accounts using a bank Giro system that clearing banks use. BOS which is part of HBOS like Halifax is a clearing bank and that explains why they could take the credits for IF. When you got a welcome Pack from IF surely it would have explained all this.

It wasn't the fact that they wouldn't do it, it was their attitude. I had rung the Halifax's customer help line before going 25 miles to the nearest branch and they had said I could pay into IF no problem (I'd just moved from Scotland so wasn't aware of the difference between Halifax and BOS).

They were downright rude. I appreciate that not all Halifax staff are like that, but you make decisions based on experience. This wasn't an experience i'd want to repeat.

IF may have explained this in their welcome pack, but I opened the account over 7 years ago. When I rang them, they also said Halifax would be o.k. to pay in at. They also repeatedly told me that they were going to do something about the cheque/cash paying in problem, but still haven't.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Had the same problem 3 years ago the daft thing is u get the paying in slips with the checkbooks, but cant use them.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541
    Forumite
    IF may have explained this in their welcome pack, but I opened the account over 7 years ago.
    Even if you've misplaced your T&C's, they're readily available on their website...
    A.6.3 You cannot pay cash or cheques into your Intelligent Finance plan using a cash dispenser or at a Halifax or Bank of Scotland branch or agency counter.

http://www.if.com/info/IFtcs.pdf
  • Even if you've misplaced your T&C's, they're readily available on their website...

That's not the case, whatever their website says. I lived in Scotland for 4 years and had absolutely no problem paying in cheques and cash at any of my local BOS branches.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541
    Forumite
    That's not the case, whatever their website says. I lived in Scotland for 4 years and had absolutely no problem paying in cheques and cash at any of my local BOS branches.
    That may have been the case then, but the account condition A.6.3 changed in 2004 to include BOS branches. The earlier (pre-2004) T&C's simply stated...
    A.6.3 You cannot pay cash or cheques into your Intelligent Finance plan using a cash dispenser or at a Halifax plc branch or agency counter.

http://www.if.com/info/terms.pdf
  • That may have been the case then, but the account condition A.6.3 changed in 2004 to include BOS branches. The earlier (pre-2004) T&C's simply stated...

Hi. I don't want to get into a lengthy debate about this, but I was still paying in cheques to IF via BOS branches in March this year. Have paying-in stubs to prove it. Guess it depends where you live?
  • regularsaver1
    regularsaver1 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    BOS use a slgihtly different computer system to Halifax and as M Thompson says - BOS are a clearing bank, where as Halifax are not (can not pay bills/giro's)

At the end of the day, IF is an internet bank

If posting, be careful with the postal strikes at present
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I'm confused :confused:

Isn't Halifax not just a trading name of Bank of Scotland PLC now?

I thought that the idea of the change of structure, and the new bank notes that BoS recently issued?

Surely that means that it is a clearing bank?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure