Good non-fibre ISPs?

My mother lives in an area where fibre isn't available yet. I'm not sure who she's currently with. I know she was with PlusNet but may have moved since that. She's paying something like £40+/month for broadband & telephone.

The TV is on a separate deal with Sky.

When i lived there i paid for the broadband & the ISP were Zen. They weren't the cheapest but they were fantastic. I do remember my mother having a lot of bother with PlusNet on & off.

So just looking to see who is regarded as a good provider for non-fibre broadband really? Or if not that then who nowadays it's considered we should stay away from?

Comments

• Just having a look on comparisons and it seems a bit odd. I can search broadband and TV and broadband alone but it seems hard(er) to search for broadband and calls?

Just on the BT website and it says she can get their broadband unlimited 17mb at £23.99 a month and this includes line rental. So that includes a calls package too?

If so then it's ok but on the other hand WHAT IF you didn't want your calls package changed? I know she does so it's just easier if it's bundled but i'm just saying what if?
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Just on the BT website and it says she can get their broadband unlimited 17mb at £23.99 a month and this includes line rental. So that includes a calls package too?
    If it does include a call package it will state that fact.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 December 2017 at 11:18AM
    Just having a look on comparisons and it seems a bit odd. I can search broadband and TV and broadband alone but it seems hard(er) to search for broadband and calls?

If so then it's ok but on the other hand WHAT IF you didn't want your calls package changed? I know she does so it's just easier if it's bundled but i'm just saying what if?

If it included a calls package they'd make very sure to advertise the fact. Sky currently do UL ADSL for £20, I think their full calls package adds £8 a month.

@JustAnotherSaver does your mother have a calls package?

Edit: using https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/ the Sky package with anytime calls comes up at equivalent £25.50
  • Zen that you used before are a good provider, if you define "good" and "good". If you define "good" as "cheap" and look at prices, then I don't know.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023

• Edit: using https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/ the Sky package with anytime calls comes up at equivalent £25.50

Quidco 70.00 Cashback plus 50.00 prepaid card from SKY
  • Quidco 70.00 Cashback plus 50.00 prepaid card from SKY

She already has Sky TV so wouldn't get the £50 card at least, I don't know if the cashback would track if they go through their link.
  • She already has Sky TV so wouldn't get the £50 card at least, I don't know if the cashback would track if they go through their link.
    I got Sky TV before i got their calls and broadband myself. I did the TV through TCB and got the cashback.

2-3 months later i did the broadband & phone through TCB and got another round of cashback for that deal also.

For the earlier question i define good as reliable. Getting somewhere close to the speeds promised instead of a fraction of that. Not having the internet drop frequently.

The last i heard about Sky outside of their fibre deal was that they weren't very good but this was some time ago so things could've changed. Back when i very first got broadband around 2005, PlusNet were winning a load of awards and were fantastic. FFWD a few years & they were slower than 56k and incredibly unreliable so i know things can change in time.

If they're decent then Sky may be worth a shout since i'm trying to get my mum to call up and threaten to leave them to get a reduction in her TV package. I actually wanted to leave Sky as i was going to BT but when i called to cancel they threw all manner of deals at me to try get me to stay so there's a fair chance she'd get similar.
  • For the earlier question i define good as reliable. Getting somewhere close to the speeds promised instead of a fraction of that. Not having the internet drop frequently.

The last i heard about Sky outside of their fibre deal was that they weren't very good but this was some time ago so things could've changed. Back when i very first got broadband around 2005, PlusNet were winning a load of awards and were fantastic. FFWD a few years & they were slower than 56k and incredibly unreliable so i know things can change in time.

If they're decent then Sky may be worth a shout since i'm trying to get my mum to call up and threaten to leave them to get a reduction in her TV package. I actually wanted to leave Sky as i was going to BT but when i called to cancel they threw all manner of deals at me to try get me to stay so there's a fair chance she'd get similar.

I've had Sky ADSL for years now and have always got around 19Mbps, never had any issues besides the occasional drop when they've been working at the exchange.

I was with BT before them and their parting shot when I phoned up to leave (they couldn't get close to Sky's offer at the time) was that I wouldn't get the same speed, they were right, I was always on 18Mbps with BT.
  • I've had Sky ADSL for years now and have always got around 19Mbps, never had any issues besides the occasional drop when they've been working at the exchange.

I was with BT before them and their parting shot when I phoned up to leave (they couldn't get close to Sky's offer at the time) was that I wouldn't get the same speed, they were right, I was always on 18Mbps with BT.
    I had something similar from Sky when i left them.

Sky: you wont get anything faster with BT (i was on Sky's 38mb deal).
    Me: Well that's funny because i came from BT and i was getting not only faster speeds but also a much more reliable connection with BT. I only came to you because my new customer deal was up with BT and you were cheaper.
    Sky: that's not possible (speeds), we use the same hardware.
    Me: are you calling me a liar? I know what i got, i know what i'm getting and unless something has changed then i know what i will be getting.
    Sky: Well it's just not possible.

NOTE: This was actually AFTER Sky made the point that THEY were faster. ;)

The guy spoke over me, interrupted at every chance he got, well it actually wasn't every chance it was just whenever i started speaking so i just carried on talking and nobody listened to anyone. So when he asked me to fill out a review on the phone call i said no problem ;)

Sky, i may have stayed with you but your customer service based on that phone call is appalling. Feel free to go back and listen to the phone call and note all the times the guy tried to cut me off & talk over me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure