BT price hike (Jan 2018)

Following your advice that I could leave leave a contract if the company increased prices, I am. Being 7 months into my 12 month BT Broadband/phone contract I immediately did some research on alternative suppliers once they emailed me about their forthcoming increases.

Well armed, I 'phoned them to say I was leaving, whereupon I was transferred to the 'No you're not!' department who tried to persuade me that BT's service was much superior than others, and that I would probably experience slower speeds, restricted data downloading capacity, tempests and plagues of locusts if I moved.

I mentioned that John Lewis (Plusnet) would give me free weekend AND evening calls, free 1571 (BT charges) and my outlay would be £3.49/month cheaper for a 12 month contract. He had no real argument against that but hoped I'd reconsider BT in the future.

Thanks MSE for the sound advice.

Comments

• https://www.topcashback.co.uk/plusnet-broadband/

Link via Quidco is currently 22.50 a month and 18 Month Contract
  • I started a 24 month broadband contract with BT in September 2017. In November 2017, less than three months into that contract, I received an email notifying me of price hike from January 2018 by £2.50 a month. The email contained a big "ACT NOW" link which took me to an offer to fix my price at the pre-rise rate by agreeing to a new 18 month contract, effectively knocking three months of my contract, after which price goes up by a whopping £20+ a month to the 'standard' £49.99. I have other services with BT (TV and calls for instance) which would still run until the original 24 month end date, so effectively I would be stuck with the super expensive broadband deal for three months until my other contracted services also expired, or have to pay the early termination fees (which are also rising).

This all seemed a bit sneaky to me so I phoned BT to have a bit of a moan about it. Only once on the phone to the cancellation department did they inform me that actually, because I am on a relatively new contract, the January 2018 price rise doesn't apply to me so I'm far better off doing nothing and seeing out my 24 contract as it is and price wont actually go up. I'm glad I didn't act on that link in the email. I fear for the amount of people who will be caught out by this.

I will be formally complaining to BT about this.
  • It does apply to you otherwise you wouldn't have received the email.

And then your price will increase in January and there'll be no record of your conversation with them.

Have the same convo again with them ASAP via their online chat and save the conversation.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Whenever you are told something like this to your advantage and contrary to what you have been advised previously in writing by BT you shouldn't take it at face value.

Ask them to confirm it to you while you are on the phone by email!! If they won't then they won't stand by it!
  • Does anyone know if you are able to cancel your whole BT package due to the rise or only the Broadband element?

We have TV aswell and I'm itching to get back on sky as far superior in my opinion.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Under OFCOM rules all packages .
  • JJ

Thanks

Do you have a reference for this so I can quote it when they enviablely tell me I cannot!
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 December 2017 at 12:05PM
    pwrigtom wrote: »
    JJ

Thanks

Do you have a reference for this so I can quote it when they enviably tell me I cannot!
    https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/January-price-increase/td-p/1789089

You should receive an email which says you can leave.
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I think I may have mistakenly deleted the email informing me about the January price rise - I assume I should have received it by now?

Can I still leave my contract penalty-free, or do you have to click something in the email?

I've received a letter from BT offering Infinity (I'm just on standard broadband) for £2 more than I currently pay. But would this also go up in Jan?
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 December 2017 at 4:46PM
    ThemeOne wrote: »
    I think I may have mistakenly deleted the email informing me about the January price rise - I assume I should have received it by now?

Can I still leave my contract penalty-free, or do you have to click something in the email?

I've received a letter from BT offering Infinity (I'm just on standard broadband) for £2 more than I currently pay. But would this also go up in Jan?
    Call them, they will know if you have been sent an email, if your price is going up, then yes you can leave. As for what they are prepared to offer, its anyone's guess, if you can get £25 a month for fibre, that's about right, normal broadband £20 or less.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/broadband/2017/11/bt-to-hike-prices-in-january-

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/January-price-increase/td-p/1789089
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure