MSE Newborn to 1 year Club

Hi everyone!

After saying it for ages I've finally started a new newborn-1 year thread for us all to share parenting ups and downs, as well as of course money-saving tips, especially once the maternity pay dwindles.

If you join the thread please introduce yourself with...

- Baby's name, if you'd like to share, or just gender if you'd prefer
- Age of baby
- Whether you have other children too
- How's it all going?!

To kick us off... I have a little girl called Clara who is 6 weeks old today and she's our first baby. It's going pretty well although she does cry a fair amount - she seems to have an on/off switch, she's either zonked out asleep or super alert, which means she gets bored very easily and therefore grumpy and crying quite often. She just needs a variety of stimulation though to settle, so it's not like nothing works. She's breastfed so only goes up to 3 hours between feeds day and night, but does settle pretty well after.

Looking forward to sharing more stories!
Officially Mrs B as of March 2013
TTC since Apr 2015, baby B born March 2017

Comments

• Tinks05
    Tinks05 Posts: 126 Forumite
    Fab idea! Lovely to hear you and Clara are doing well Cats.

My little girl, Isla, is 16 weeks old and is our first child. Things are going pretty well but we did jump straight from horrendous colic to teething. I breastfeed and am really enjoying it. We was really lucky and Isla slept pretty well from the start, giving us 7 hours minimum most nights, straight through, but recently has started waking in the night which is taking a bit of getting used to after she has spoilt us for so long.
  • swimminginaseaofdebt
    swimminginaseaofdebt Posts: 942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 May 2017 at 10:08PM
    Evening,

I'd love to join if no one objects (no?, okay then!).

I have a little boy, Danyal, who is 10 months old. He's my first.....and last!

As I'm sure you'll all find we have our good and bad days. Currently he's mostly frustrated as he wants to move but doesn't crawl and hasn't quite got the hang of walking.

Tinks05 They go through a sleep regression at 4 months apparently, so perhaps that's why she has started waking. Mines has never slept straight through the night and still doesn't, you just get used to it after a while.
    VSPC 2019 #10 - £168.80/£100 VSPC 2020 #4 - £262.03/£200 VSPC 2021 #9 - £242.88/£200 VSPC 2022 #3 - £188.03/£200 VSPC 2023 #7 - £0/£200
  • minimuffin12
    minimuffin12 Posts: 340 Forumite
    Hi guys hope you don't mind me joining in! I've 2 kids, almost 4 year old and baby is 15mths. They keep me on my toes as well as working full time. Enjoy the wee tiny baby days, I loved them but boy does time fly!

Swimming- my dd still isn't walking and has just started to shuffle on her bum. I reckon she is just going to take off on her feet one of these days!
    Mum of 2 :j
  • ThinkPink
    ThinkPink Posts: 893 Forumite
    Hi everyone

I have a little boy who is almost 8 months old called Sebastian. He's my first, I always said I was only having one but I'm not so sure now, I love being a mummy and love watching him grow and do new things. Time is going so fast though and my maternity has whizzed by. I'm due back at work in September so currently trying to sort out my hours.

He is bottlefed as breastfeeding didn't work out. He also has solids and is good at trying new foods. I do struggle with breakfasts so if anyone has any ideas which they find their little ones love that would be great!!

We have good nights where he sleeps from 7.30pm through till 4 or 5 and other nights where he is so unsettled and waking constantly. He got his first two teeth at 5 months and has just cut his 5th tooth. He rolls everywhere and nothing gets in his way!! He has just started pushing himself onto all fours so I think will be crawling very soon.x
  • ThinkPink
    Just had a feeling of his gums and it would appear we have cut tooth number 6 overnight!!
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Hiya!

Daughter, Mia, is 10 months tomorrow. First, possibly last (traumatic birth).

Going well now. We've found our stride, I think. Though she does keep us on our toes as she started crawling at 7 months, cruising a couple of weeks later and is now standing independently and trying to take a few steps! Eek!

I'm so over teething. 7 already, and 8th coming through at the moment. It's been constant with those.

There is definitely a sleep regression around 4 months, and it was the toughest one for us (so far). She is sleeping much better now, but that's because we caved and used the controlled crying method about 2 months ago. She was waking every 1.5-2 hours, and I couldn't cope with that, work (I had to go back at 5 months for financial reasons) and study. Felt horribly guilty about it though.

Breastfed until 8 months, but was exclusively pumping from 5 months until 8 months as she developed a bottle preference. That was another thing I beat myself up about.

For those who do breastfeed, there is a wonderful community on fb for finding clothes that allow boob access called 'Can I breastfeed in it'. They also have a breastfeeding support page called 'Can I breastfeed in it, breastfeeding support'. There are trained peer supporters on there who offer wonderful support and advice and I can highly recommend them.

Weaning has been going well. We started off with puree as we weren't comfortable with baby led weaning (too nervous), but she's doing really well with textures and feeding herself with her hands and stuff now, so is having more and more non pureed stuff. I won a book called 'Flavour-led weaning' and she's loved every recipe from there so far :)

Think that's enough for now. x
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    This is the book, I can highly recommend (and definitely breakfast ideas in there ThinkPink): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flavour-led-Weaning-Cookbook-recipes-adventurous/dp/1785033468
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • minimuffin12
    minimuffin12 Posts: 340 Forumite
    Both mine didn't get teeth until they were 1! Dd has got 4 or 5 back teeth which I've been amazed at as she is only 15mths, think she 10 in total. Breakfast wise I used the cow and gate cereals until she was 10mths then switched to things like wheatabix with mashed banana, or shreddies soaked very well in milk. Ready brek with fruit puree goes down well too.

Thinkpink- i always wanted 2 and its nice now that they are starting to play together tho its hard work with 2 especially with working i never get a minute but wouldn't change it!
    Mum of 2 :j
  • ThinkPink
    I've tried porridge (plain and with fruit) and wheetabix and rice crispies but he has a few mouthfuls if that and refuses to eat any more!, he was eating picklets but has stopped eating then now as well as toasted muffins. Do you use whole milk or formula with the cereal? I was told I could use whole milk so that's what I've been using but I have found he's been a bit sicky after so I may try the cow and gate cereal I have but with his sma and see if 1) he will eat it and 2) if he is sick.

That's good to hear muffin, what gender are your little ones? I have said to my oh we won't get rid of anything just yet and will then think more about it in 6 months. If we do I think we would need to try fairly soon after making a decision as 1) I'm nearly 34 and 2) it took us over 2 years of ttc. Haha, I was adamant I was only having one and during labour remember saying to myself 'remember how awful this is as im never going through it again!' But I have to admit I think I would opt for an elective c section if we had another baby.
  • cats2012
    cats2012 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    edited 4 May 2017 at 9:26AM
    Yey! So glad people are joining, and lovely to see some familiar names :-)
    Officially Mrs B as of March 2013
    TTC since Apr 2015, baby B born March 2017
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family