PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Options

Comments

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pipneyjane lots of places sell them - give it a Google. I know Ikea have them & Laura Ashley - I got mine from Dunelm but it's only a single bed not like Thriftwizards.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Lynplatinum
    Lynplatinum Posts: 939 Forumite
    edited 10 February 2017 at 7:21PM
    Options
    Evening all,
    Oweeee misstara that carpeting must have hurt the poor old wallet!!:(

Athome1 and PipneyJane welcome - we dont always manage to post each day so dont worry about that just come on in and join in when you can! I was a person on my own with 2 kids so I know that feeling Athome of being exhausted each day!
    Yorks lass - yep a chicken can go soooo far! I want to make more soup this week - will walk into L!dil and see what veg is on offer to determine which soup I make. Interestingly - last week made a HFW recipe with celeriac and swede in it - my GD loved it! Especially the celeriac!! honestly its a bit of a struggle to find somat she wont eat! (nearly one year old!)
    glad folk like the HFW flapjack/booster bars thingies - v popular in my house and v filling!! Also lots of good stuff in em!

Make do: Though we had some one coming round and was out of cake/biscuits so made some raspberry buns - didnt put quite enough flour in so they became raspberry buscuits - we didnt tell em and they were eagerly eaten and I got a compliment about em so as we Cornish say 'Them as asks no questions nere gets told no lies':rotfl:
    Mend: My paypal and e-bay accounts - the details were hopelessly out of date so have spent an hour sorting all that lot out!
    Minimise: hopefully the clutter in my house and the stuff I have found from my Mum's loft (we turned it out between tenants) onto e-bay ASAP. DS1 is helping with the photographs tomorrow!
    Nite all
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    Hello, may I join in? I try to I've a frugal life, although I have a big weakness for books.

I've just started reading the thread from the beginning.

Please tell me from where you purchased the daybed. We may be in the market for one. Many thanks.

PipneyJane, it came from a local furniture store, in their sale. I'll see if I can find the paperwork & let you know what make it is, then you can see whether anyone near you carries them. I'm impressed with it so far; it seems really sturdy & it's comfortable to both sit & sleep on. Various guests will be sleeping on it this week coming...

Celebrating here; I've "minimised" the contents of my porch somewhat by selling a loom that was lurking out there. I've also put a spare door on Gumtree, and taken an entire basket of needlework kits that was hiding under the loom up to my stall. There's still an awful lot of clearing to do out there but at least I've made a start, and it's much easier to manoeuvre out there now.

Not quite mending, but I've done up a little brass-bound wooden box, too. The outside was streaked with - ??? - something yucky - and it was dusty & full of crumbled oil pastels inside, but now it's cleaned up, spent the night with a lavender-soaked rag inside it & the wood "fed" it looks & smells lovely! As for making do, I transformed an excess of blueberries, a rather ancient lemon & some left-over buttermilk into a pile of blueberry & lemon muffins this afternoon, instead of going up to the supermarket & buying some chocolate. Busy weekend ahead...
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • CAZBEAR
    CAZBEAR Posts: 554 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi everyone, just a bit of making do today, I mixed some porridge oats and brown sugar in with some crumble mix to stretch it out for 2 apple crumbles instead of one, so that makes one for our elderly neighbour as well as us. I did baked apples while i had the oven on...I haven't had one for years and it's a healthy b on slimming world...yummy !!
    Going to minimise some of the wine left from christmas now:beer:
    Hope everyone has a good weekend :)
    Best headline ever on local paper??
    "Weight loss group doubles in size"
  • 117pauline
    Options
    Make Do
    I have now emptied four drawers in the freezer and I felt so bereft I placed an order with Muscle Foods for later in the month.

Does anyone else get a bit twitchy when they can see the bottom of the freezer drawers or back of the cupboards?

Minimise
    A few more weeds tidied away.

Unfortunately I have had to bin a large bird feeder because my friendly squirrels have now bitten through the feeder container and is now unmendable. It was about a metre tall with twelve feeding places and somehow all have been bitten/broken/nibbled in less than four weeks. So we are back to two small feeders. I watched the squirrel push up the lid of said new feeder and happily munch away for over five minutes.

Mend
    Pushing my luck a bit but ... I have mended my accounting system so I can add items in quickly rather than panicking to meet deadlines.
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • poppy811
    Options
    Thanks Silva and Lynne about my pension position. Unfortunately no further payments are due apart from one annual payment in April. So I have my State Pension and a small NHS pension. I can manage but the move to a smaller house will put some money in the Bank and hopefully will allow me to enjoy some travel. Not brave enough to travel on my own just yet but that's the plan!

We have snow here today so not a good day to visit the tip so I think a day of knitting and reading beckons. One of my sons was coming from Essex to help me empty the shed and greenhouse of clutter but we have postponed that for a couple of weeks.
  • osbornbiscuit
    Options
    Well the freezer sort went well. I now have a drawer full of little surprises. I really must learn to label the bags but at least it is tidy.
    Lynplatinum - The flapjacks sound amazing. I have saved it to make next week.

Athome1 - I am not a widow but am more or less on my own so I know how you feel. I only look after grandson for one day a week and it knackers me for a couple of days.I wonder how my mum used to cope looking after my two kids when I went back to work.
    I have minimised some of my collection of Victorian photos as I have found a collector not far from here who shares my interest and has agreed to buy them rather than putting them on ebay and playing fees. Wool stash also on its way down with more gowns for Preemies.
    Am still trying to clear the spare room/craft room so might manage a bit more minimising there.
    Make do - I did go mad and buy some rhubarb from the local greengrocer and made two crumbles. It was delicious and a treat. First rhubarb of the season.
    Managed to mend some holes in the wall with newspaper and filler. I will sand it down tomorrow and paint.
    Don't know how it is with everyone else but it is bloody freezing up here but thankfully no snow.
    Keep warm and safe everyone and have a good weekend
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    Afternoon all
    The bars recipie sounds delish, I must try that, dd2 is here and wants to try to make it vegan and said it should easily adapt.
    I've just cleared my mending pile, fixed a popped seam in a hoodie, a ripped seam in some PJ bottoms, a seam in Dh training shorts and a couple of rips in the lining of some jogging trousers.
    Going to make a start on crocheting a baby blanket now.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • chirpycheap
    Options
    Hello everyone, I am loving hearing about your make-do, mending and minimising tips. You are all very inspiring.

Make Do- My husband has been researching online for the purchase of a document safe. I pointed out to him that a) We already own a small safe and b) We are hardly the Onassis family so why do we need two safes?
    He was thrilled to bits that he had 'got the price down' to £40 and argued that our current safe was too full and there wasn't room in there.
    Of course he was absolutely wrong! a simple tidying, decluttering and packing of stuff into bags rather than boxes and we have a roomy safe. He has just been into the garage and made a shelf to put a small tray to hold my few bits of jewellery and we will hopefully have less chaos in there in the future. So we managed to make do and minimise and hopefully he'll stop rabbiting on about getting a document safe!
    On the subject of minimising what do people do with out of date passbooks from building societies and also old passports? We seem to have a lot of them in our safe taking up valuable room. Would you just shred them?
    I am also wondering whether to hold on to the chequebooks in there. I had a look and we haven't written a cheque since 2012. Everything is online these days. Have I written my last ever cheque? It makes me feel a little nostalgic if I have!
    As for the little bits of jewellery. all those things with little monetary worth but lot's of sentimental value, my nan's engagement ring, my MIL's rings, FIL's medals, my mum's Marcasite necklace how silly that it sits unloved in our safe only looked at once in a blue moon. Unless my son makes a late dash to the finishing line and provides us with grandchildren what will happen to that jewellery? Will it one day just be gathering dust in my son's safe? Our relationship with material things is I think rather complicated! I'm beginning to wish I'd never looked into that safe it always makes me a little sad and wistful!
    Stashbusting 2019 - 230/300
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    edited 12 February 2017 at 6:49PM
    Options
    Welcome chirpy.
    I shred old bank passbooks once they have been cancelled by the bank and replaced with new ones showing the account Balance (I still write cheques which makes me a bit of a Luddite - perhaps you could burn or shred all but one 'just incase' book)
    Could the jewellery be melted down and remade into a piece or pieces you would wear?
    They are my thoughts on a couple of points you raised I'm sure others will be along soon to welcome you and offer their views.
    Hth
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure