Options

Comments

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Giliador wrote: »
    Hello
    Few days a go I've joined origin 15mb broadband after connecting router I discovered that internet keep dropping and real speed is around 5mb,

The speed quoted is usually up to and not everyone will get that as it's dependent on how far you are from the exchange. What guaranteed minimum speed were you quoted?
    Im still within 14 days but I have been informed by Origin that once line is connected I would have to pay cancellation charge of £360 where monthly coat is only £18, I don't know where to go with this but do they have the right to refuse the 14 days policy?

The 14 days cancellation policy is from when the order was placed and not when the line was connected. When did you place your order?
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jem16 wrote: »
    The 14 days cancellation policy is from when the order was placed and not when the line was connected. When did you place your order?
    Its a ridiculous rule when its normal to take 2 weeks for a fibre line to be fitted. Only really applies to ADSL lines. It really ought to be 14 days from when its fitted.
  • Giliador
    Options
    Under EU Consumer rights it's from the day you receive item or service, Internet has been connected on the 27th Modem arrived on 26th. No matter what the speed is, even if it was 70Mb you still have the right to cancel you order without cancellation cost, under 14 days cool off period
    jem16 wrote: »
    The speed quoted is usually up to and not everyone will get that as it's dependent on how far you are from the exchange. What guaranteed minimum speed were you quoted?

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You need to brush up on your EU consumer rights.

Since June 2014, the Consumer Contracts Regulations have applied to contracts sold at a distance, including broadband services. These extend the distance selling ‘cooling off period’ to 14 days. This period starts either when you receive written confirmation of your contract, or when the broadband service starts to be supplied

The 14 days can start sooner than the service start date. You missed out on that one. Internet connected on the 27th so i assume you ordered weeks before that, well over 14 days.

What speed were you told you would get? Also the speed initially will go up and down a lot depending on the wiring to your home, the disconnections maybe a part of that, its finding the best speed for a reliable connection.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Giliador
    Options
    These extend the distance selling ‘cooling off period’ to 14 days. This period starts either when you receive written confirmation of your contract, or when the broadband service starts to be supplied
    I never received written confirmation of the contract, I accepted terms and conditions on website and no contact has been made by origin, no email no confirmation when service will be provided, had to call them and ask. And again even if I was outside the 14 days, which I wasn't, customer service didn't say you are outside the 14 days he said we DO NOT OFFER 14 days cool off which is against the law therefore contract can be canceled.
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Good luck with that one
  • softmind82
    Options
    Finishing my broadband deal with plusnet, had terrible experience on and off connection drops a lot.

Now time to switch and thinking about originbroadband.

Has anyone been customer with origin please share your feedback.

Thanks
  • forgotmyname
    Options
    You accepted the terms on the website which is written is it not?

Contract in writing on the webpage where you agreed to it and created the order, starting your 14 day countdown.

Just checked their website and it seems you ticked that you agreed to their terms and conditions on the payments page. So your claim not to have seen the terms and conditions wont really hold up.

• forgotmyname
    Options
    If the issue is the wiring between you and the exchange then swappiung ISPs will probably leave you in the same position.

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I moved from Plusnet to Origin about 6 weeks ago now, so early days.

The changeover was very smooth (overnight) so I was not without service at all really.

I went for their one off fixed 18 month upfront deal which saw me paying £520 for 18 months 38Mb fibre, line rental, anytime calls and caller identity.

May not have been the best deal around, but I know that I have no more to pay for 18 months and no sneaky price rises.

My download speed of 18Mb (line length limited) and 3Mb upload is better than PN's capped 2Mb upload.

There UK call centre has been easy to deal with and the phone gets answered within a few rings.

I had no problems with PN, but when it came to renegotiation time, they could not (would not) match the Origin deal.

So far so good!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport