paying national insurance whilst unemployed.

Hi.

my husband is unemployed at the moment. he tried to sign on at the job centre but couldnt claim anything due to the lower rate national insurance he paid whilst self employed.

how do i go about paying national insurance?

he is looking for a job at present. can anyone tell me if this will affect us claiming working tax credits or any other benefits when we have children and i dont return to work.

i tried to work out how much we would be able to recieve if we had our child now and only one of us worked full time but I couldn't understand it ??

thanks in advance.
Make £10 a day challenge March 2013 £101.24 / £240 :j
WSC 10 March - £0 / £5
Debt £17,294 - 7th March

Comments

• healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    You can pay voluntary class 3 National Insurance, you need to contact your local National Insurance office about this but they only go towards your State Retirement Pension.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Am I right in thinking that if he's claimed JSA, even if he isn't getting any, he still gets his NI conts paid? Someone will say if I'm wrong ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Fleago
    Fleago Posts: 1,185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think you're right Savvy. :) Redballoon, this has a bit about it; click on "National Insurance Credits" in the list at the top. Your OH should go back to the Jobcentre and ask to sign on for NI credits. :)
  • If he has been Self Employed and not any/enough Class 1 National Insurance in the two tax years prior to the one in which he is claiming then he will be unable to claim JSA.

He may however be able to sign purely for the NI credits. (Speak with Job Centre for more info).

If you husband is unable to sign on for the credits, and he wished to do so, he is able to pay Class 3 NI conts. These will go toward his pension and bereavement benefit. (Not advised for current tax year if he is looking for work)

If he is looking for work, good. Hopefully when/if he is unemployed next he will hopefully have enough CLass 1 paid to be able to sign on for JSA without problem.

With regards to when you have children. You will be able to have something called Home Responsibilities Protection added to your account. This will protect your NI account for any FULL tax year in which you hold it, and you will not need to pay any voluntary contributions to secure your pension while it is on your account.

PLEASE NOTE: This is not any form of NI credit, and will not show up on any NI statement issued by the NI office. It is a notation on your account which is taken into consideration by the Pension Service when calculating your pension.

If you want further info on your husbands NI conts, or even your own, then please contact the National Insurance office on: 084591 53002

or write to us at:

National Insurance Contributions Office
    Benton Park View
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    NE98 1ZZ
    ~~~Happy to help~~~
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income