Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    tazwhoever wrote: »
    Contract will come to end next month with VM - been with them 9 years and would stay with them.

Currently pay - landline 24hrs, bb 70mb = £25 pm (excluding line rental saver = £192.

Total = £41 pm.

I'm sure this isn't a good deal. How can I get a better deal (I always ring retentions every year!)?
    VM don't offer 70Mbps any more, but if you are prepared to drop to 50Mbps, then you should easily get a reduced rate. Be warned though - the upload speed on 70 is currently 5Mbps, on 50, you'll only get 3Mbps. Don'e believe the reps if they tell you it will remain at 5, "because you get 10% of the download speed". Check the documents on VM's site to confirm that.
    I was offered a 50 Mbps service plus anytime phone for £36 after discounts. New 12 month contract, but discounts good for 18 months.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    victor2 wrote: »
    VM don't offer 70Mbps any more, but if you are prepared to drop to 50Mbps, then you should easily get a reduced rate. Be warned though - the upload speed on 70 is currently 5Mbps, on 50, you'll only get 3Mbps. Don'e believe the reps if they tell you it will remain at 5, "because you get 10% of the download speed". Check the documents on VM's site to confirm that.
    I was offered a 50 Mbps service plus anytime phone for £36 after discounts. New 12 month contract, but discounts good for 18 months.

I have 'SuperFibre 70' and Anytime phone with Line Rental Saver! I would go down to 50Mbps. Being with them for long time hasn't reduced my costs.

I remember 2 years ago, I paid LRS for year and was paying around £15 pm for the same service (BB and Anytime).
  • sw19
    Options
    Just cancelled after being offered £29/month for 50mb broadband + weekend calls
  • leew
    leew Posts: 726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My Superfibre 70 deal has ended and I am now paying £33 instead of £15 :(

Do I tell them to cancel and I'm leaving?
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Options
    leew wrote: »
    My Superfibre 70 deal has ended and I am now paying £33 instead of £15 :(

Do I tell them to cancel and I'm leaving?

If you want to negotiate, and get a better deal, then yes you need to put in your notice.
  • leew
    leew Posts: 726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anon wrote: »
    If you want to negotiate, and get a better deal, then yes you need to put in your notice.

I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Do you or anyone have any idea whats likely? I know it's nigh on impossible to get my £15 deal back :(
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Options

Do you or anyone have any idea whats likely? I know it's nigh on impossible to get my £15 deal back :(

Read back on here and search for Virgin Media retention deals, I would think closer to £20 is achievable (perhaps not as low as £15 - that was a cracking deal!).
  • drphila
    drphila Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options

Was on 50Mb for £18 due to go up to £33. Asked what they could offer at beginning of notice period and was offered capped for £15. Refused and cancelled. Got call and accepted uncapped for £15.
  • Fay
    Fay Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm currently having a nightmare with virgin and it's a long story but basically I am going through a messy divorce and the virgin account is in my husbands name. He contacted them Friday to ask them to transfer the account to me...so they called me. At this stage I didn't have the account number of password. The woman was extremely rude (Eastern European and broken English) and said that I wouldn't have to have new equip,went (it was replaced about 4 months ago as it keeps breaking) and pay £25. I said I wouldn'tso she said she would send s form and it would take a month. I told her to leave it as it was and I would get my ex to cancel the account after Christmas. She said ok and hung up.
    Christmas Eve I find out the service had been disconnected. Contacted the ex (by email...we don't speak). He's had no call and no notice it was being disconnected-so don't expect a call from a cancellation team. No notice was given by eithe rof us. She just cut the service straight off.
    I spent all of Xmas eve on the phone t them to be told it was my own fault for saying I would tell him to cancel it and if they reconnect it will start a new 12 month contract. No managers were available. Then one English guy sid he would put a reconnect on and just reconnect the original account but it would take up to 48 hours but to keep rebooting my equipment as it's usually done in 2. 4 days on,,,no service. I called at 330pm Xmas eve to be told there isn't no one in the department to reconnect it and there wouldn't be for at least 72 hours, oh and again, it was my fault for mentioning the word cancellation. And apparently as long as you have access to the account (he refused to accept they called me) you can cancel.
    So just be warned. You won't always get notification of a cancellation or a call back.
    This is all now with the CEO office as I'm disgusted by it all. And now I need to try and find a good deal with sky! All at a time when my stress levels are through the roof anyway.

Oh and my current monthly contact is £96.10...the ex just accepted anything they said!
  • funkygiraffe
    Options
    Hi all,

I currently have Virgin broadband and home phone line (which I don't really use) and around June last year I tried my go at haggling with them (I've been a customer paying near full price for ages) and ended up with an offer I wasn't that happy with. I've read the forum and it seems it's quite a bit over the ball-park for where it could be.

I'm getting:
    100Mbps Broadband
    Talk Weekends
    for £36.01/month.

They've got it down to this by applying credits, one of which is a recurring credit of £2.99 which expires in Feb 2018 and another of £6 ending Feb 19. At the time the retentions team insisted it was the best offer they could do, sent me out a new router to sweeten the deal, etc. etc.

What is the best way of going about haggling with this contract I have? I cannot use any other provider since my area does not have fibre optic and standard broadband would be too slow for our needs. Appreciate your support and advice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback