Redundancy, what grounds can you apply for enhanced redundancy package?

Hi, I've worked for my employer for 29 years.
I recently had surgery, followed by 5 months sick leave, on my return I was told my job was at risk of redundancy.
A week later it was confirmed that I was being made redundant.
I still have measures in place at work to help me, as I'm not 100% and because of this I think I will struggle to find employment ( No qualifications so a manual job will be all I can get)
My union has asked for an enhanced package, but to succeed I need to explain why I should get it. At the moment I've been offered 24 weeks as per the government website.
Many thanks Alison

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Hi, I've worked for my employer for 29 years.
    I recently had surgery, followed by 5 months sick leave, on my return I was told my job was at risk of redundancy.
    A week later it was confirmed that I was being made redundant.
    I still have measures in place at work to help me, as I'm not 100% and because of this I think I will struggle to find employment ( No qualifications so a manual job will be all I can get)
    My union has asked for an enhanced package, but to succeed I need to explain why I should get it. At the moment I've been offered 24 weeks as per the government website.
    Many thanks Alison
    This is highly unusual - one does not "apply" for an enhanced redundancy package. I have never heard of an employer providing one on an optional basis, and so I think you are best placed trusting your union for advice on this. As a rule, the package is fixed and the employer would not change that for anyone, whether or not they have sickness. In fact, I'd say the employer is potentially playing with fire making exceptions for some people and not others, but that is up to them to decide.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The only time I have heard of "enhanced" is when they are asking for volunteers.

At my last job they wanted people to work until the plant was completely mothballed so offered "enhanced" to keep everyone on side. I think it had some conditions like sickness and the like to stop people just going sick till the end.
  • lulu650
    lulu650 Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You need to be discussing with your union why they asked your employer for an enhanced redundancy package for you. It sounds as if your employer would be open to a discussion for you to leave earlier under a settlement agreement which may be more financially advantageous.
    Or, as your health isn't 100%, give you the opportunity of "garden leave" for your pay in lieu of notice which gives you 12 weeks to getting back to fitness (hopefully) in preparation for any new job.

Ring your union today to talk the above through if you haven't already.
    Saving money right, left and centre
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport