PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Two more bags of clothes, books and odds and ends to the CS yesterday, I am gradually whittling down my possessions. OH has given me 2 tops, must check to see where best to send them, also I have the OK to send the board games, one a gift, brand new never opened.

I did bring back a lovely purple gilet for myself, I find that they keep my back so cosy while still having maximum use of arms when doing housework, gardening and better for me driving too.

MMF007 - have a great holiday.
    Slinky - great news.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • I am so happy with my home, the energy flow, the tidiness and how it looks so clean and bright. I was happy before but now am ultra happy because I spent hours last evening on rightmove. The moving thought never left me, so I decided to look in earnest, you would not believe the homes that fall into the none MK category ie so crowded that I had to wonder of the skirtings had ever seen the light of day. Others that had 000s added on under the guise of a re-furb ie a kitchen with black floors, a shiny central island and cupboards all around that you have to kneel in front of to get to the back of. High impractical stools and clinical now outdated looks.

Doing MK in your own home allows what is good to stand out and it sells the home or in my case, has made me happy and content to stay. After last night on the net, I so appreciate what I have. It started well, me mentally wondering about removals and packing and there is not a single room in my house that could not just be packed up. That is because of MK. Garage and outbuilding are only partly done, so they are for future MK and will be for me to focus on over the next several months

The bedding, I changed the bedding to slightly warmer and tossed as in tossed over (haha) the hypnos mattress, single thank goodness it is single. Reached into a storage box and pulled out a complete bedset in a pillowcase. Wow, a five minute job when previously I had to root for everything

Car should be repaired by friday, so at long last, I can take that full trolley to cs. I love it when I put an empty trolley back in my hall
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    We've kondoed all this year's growth on the apple tree, some into our green bin, the rest on a trip to the tip. Much easier job than last year where we had to cut back 2 year's growth having not done it the year before. Cutting it back now means all the leaves have gone with the twigs/branches, rather than falling into the border and lawn. There was not a single apple on the tree, which is a record! There's nothing close to cross pollinate but usually we get half a dozen somehow.

OH has just cut the grass and I've put more pears out the front for passers by to help themselves again. OH is also going to disconnect the filler for the water butts as we have enough water now for the limited amount of things requiring water. Previous years we've left it too late and ended up having to get rid of 2 butts of water onto the bottom of the garden. We leave them empty in the winter in case ice splits them if they freeze.

Looks like we're going to get a good second crop of raspberries whilst we're away sorting the new house. At least my neighbour will do well whilst she takes care of our cat.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• slinky, I am glad I read your post about the water butts. I also empty mine, almost 1000 litres. I have cleaned one short butt but doubt I`ll be cleaning two very tall ones, like greek pillars but they look nice. I leave the water in the lower bits, under the tap but then it has room to expand if it freezes. I was wondering about your apple tree, might you be cutting next years flower buds off? some trees are tip bearers

I am going to open one water butt tap now. Looking around the garden ten minutes ago, I decided not to grow any more outdoor tomatoes, they have been successful but were too much palaver for just me. There are a lot in the freezer but I`ll be kongo`ing the large black buckets with handles and all the tomato rings. I`ll take them to the tip but leave them with other decent stuff and someone will have them. Also several strong black stacking troughs, someone will want them. I quite like doing the garden at this time of year as the weather is still warm enough
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 September 2017 at 7:20PM
    I've been slowly working my way through all the dry packaged pudding and jello mixes I have in my pantry. Today I used the instant vanilla pudding in a cherry cream cheese pie recipe. Easy peasy and a dessert for dinner done.
    The joy comes from using up something I have way to much of and getting a yummy dessert out of the effort.

Halfway through a box of paperwork that has been stashed there for months. I found all the necessary papers to refill an insurance claim.

A pile of magazines to doctor's/hospital waiting rooms. I sometimes do surveys where a free years subscription is the reward. Too many magazines are coming my way.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Kittie, isn't it funny that when you see the alternative often what you have already is better!

Our house is a very small* ' 2-up 2-down' terrace. We would love a house with slightly larger rooms and a garage for DH's work gear (currently stored at a relative's house 5 miles away, so DH has to visit every few days to collect what he needs).
    My friend refers to it as a dolls house!
    We looked in our area but prices are ridiculous. It scares me that families earning not much more than the average wage are committing to mortgages of a quarter of a million pounds. Is it because '250k' does not sound as crazy as quarter of a million, or am i getting old??!
    Anyhoo, when we looked, even for houses more than we could afford they all seemed to bave small rooms (more rooms but still small), and were overlooked front and back, or on busy roads etc.

Our house is in a small row but has no passing traffic, faces directly onto a field and looks across at hills. We are not overlooked, although we have neighbours either side of course. It is very cheap to heat!! We love the location because there are country walks from the door, two goods restaurants, a bakery, butchers and post office within walking distance and we are only about 5 miles from a reasonable sized town.

So we just need to kondo a few more items and then re decorate and i think we'll have ' found' a great home :D :rotfl:
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Charly27
    Charly27 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Congratulations Slinky:beer:
    August ended with us saying goodbye to our lovely collie cross rescue dog Charly. [she was the inspiration behind my name on here]
    I can't believe how much of a hole that girl has left behind her. DH is reeling too. Our lives for the last for the last 11 1/2 have her routines entwined through and around them. All four of our children have left the nest - although they pop in and out for varying sojourns- and we never had children together. So that crazy hound was ours.
    I can't bear to walk in the house, it feels so empty. This morning I hardly knew what to do with myself.
    We had a final walk with the plastic flingy she hadn't used in a while and each had a ball which we sent zooming over the field. I gave all of the poo bags to a friend today and yesterday DH and I drove to the local animal rescue centre with everything bar her collar and tag. Which I have held to my heart more times since Thursday than I can count. Some things spark joy beyond words and we will always keep that. Perhaps putting it in a frame with some of our photos when we're ready.
    Someone told me to get another dog today but with Dad the way he is and us both back at work Monday that wouldn't be fair.
    Don't come round anytime soon though as neither of us can bear to hoover.
    ‘One of our greatest freedoms is how we react to things’ said Mole.Cross stitch cafe WIP ‘The Best is yet to come’ Emma Congham & ‘A Year in the Life of’ HSC. TaDa Welcome
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 2 September 2017 at 8:05PM
    :D There's a lot to be said for staying put; starves estate agents and solicitors and the grubbyment of fees at the very least.......... :D

I have been playing around with bathroom scales. Short version is the very erratic S@lter digi ones were replaced on a temporary basis with a mechanical set on loan from a pal with a fixed instruction that if they didn't suit, I was to donate to a chazzer.

Which they didn't and which I did; came in with the new scales, put the bag down, picked up the mechanical scales and straight up the road. The old scales will be de-electroniced as about 90 % of them is a heavy-duty sheet of glass. There is a skip at the hometown tip for sheet glass, so it will end up there eventually, nothing similar offered at my city tip.

ETA charly, so sorry to hear about your beloved dog. (((((hugs)))))
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Charly - thinking of you so much right now. So much heartache. We lost our dear oldie in June. I played patience a lot as that kept my mind busy, especially at night. Big hugs to you x
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Charly, so sorry x I know just how you feel as we had to make one of those very adult decisions yesterday at the vets with one of the most brutish, soppy, thuggy, softie cats we've ever had the pleasure to know. He had a wonderful life with us and will leave the biggest hole.

Our other 4 cats have been particularly cuddly today, I'm sure they know x
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure