PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2017

Comments

• Hobsons_Choice
    Hobsons_Choice Posts: 1,123
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    For anyone who likes thrillers/murder mysteries/adventure books, I have been finding some new (to me) authors and can thoroughly recommend :
    Anything written by Sabine Durrant, Jenny Blackhurst "Before I Let you In" and any books by Susie Steiner. All excellent reads
    Normal people worry me.
  • greentiger
    greentiger Posts: 2,401
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Finished "Hame" by Annaleena McAfee. I loved it. I didn't see the end coming. The way it finished too ... I could see a sequel.

I then had a quick read:

35359626090_18e1fccacb_n.jpg1 by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr
    This is a book about relationships, maybe a bit neatly packaged but enjoyable nevertheless.

Now I'm reading a book my husband bought about 10 years ago. Fingers crossed that I'll like it too.
    34906085644_781eb97c11_n.jpghalf by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr
    Sewing 46/COLOR]Woollies 6Card s 17Reading 11/40
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,392
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I gave up on Half of a Yellow Sun. That's doesn't happen very often.

I began to feel that it was a duty read, of all things, as I remember the Biafran war.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,615
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    loocyloo wrote: »
    Somewhere back in the thread, someone recommended 'behind closed doors' by B A PARIS.

I saw it on the shelf at the library on Saturday and remembered it ... I started reading it yesterday evening ( I didn't go to bed till VERY late and have had to sit down for an hour this evening and finish it! ) I didn't sleep well and I probably won't tonight as my brain ponders it all.

good book but disturbing and heart pounding! I want to know more about some of the minor characters in the book, as I am sure there is more to them than we know.

I've got to go and find a couple of 'light and fluffy' books now, to restore my equilibrium!

Apologies, that might have been me.

I have read a few rather lacklustre books recently, and a few non fiction about trains and Samuel Pepys.

Have just started the first book of he "Repairman Jack" series. Bit unusual, but will persevere.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • greentiger
    greentiger Posts: 2,401
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    pollypenny, I remember the Biafran war too :( I've had this book (with a different cover) in my stash for far too long - since 2007 when it came out in fact, so what does that say? No idea why I bought it, but I am determined to give it a go, at least. It's not gripping me yet, but I am nothing if not stubborn!
    Sewing 46/COLOR]Woollies 6Card s 17Reading 11/40
  • loocyloo
    loocyloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    Syman wrote: »
    Apologies, that might have been me.

no need to apologise - it was a good book and I enjoyed it, but even now, a week on, I'm still pondering over it!

I've started and put down several books this past few weeks - if they don't 'grab' me within the first few chapters, then I don't carry on! I read lots, but my reading time is precious, and I'm not wasting it on books I don't enjoy!

I've just read a couple of Kerry Greenwood books with a female 'sleuth' called Phryne Fisher. Set in the 20's/30's in Melbourne Australia. really enjoyed them as a light read.
  • Gintotmelinda
    Gintotmelinda Posts: 1,734
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    just delurking to say I have all the Phryne Fisher books and love them. Not like the TV series at all.......
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    greentiger wrote: »
    Now I'm reading a book my husband bought about 10 years ago. Fingers crossed that I'll like it too.
    34906085644_781eb97c11_n.jpghalf by Bobbie Doctor, on Flickr
    Th author is an absolute hero of mine, she is utterly wonderful, so eloquent and graceful yet powerful at the same time, without being overpowering. I love seeing her comment on social matters (she usually pops up on US rather than UK media).
    pollypenny wrote: »
    I gave up on Half of a Yellow Sun. That's doesn't happen very often.

I began to feel that it was a duty read
    Thats a shame. But it's horses for courses: I was listening to The Arts Hour and one of the subjects referred to a book that transformed his thinking. I was eager to hear what it was: it turned out to be "God of Small Things" by Anudhati Roy. I just cannot see the brilliance in this book and am starting to think I should re-read it.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • loocyloo
    loocyloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    just delurking to say I have all the Phryne Fisher books and love them. Not like the TV series at all.......

oooo, I didn't know they had been on tv ... I may have to investigate, although I don't usually like the tv versions of anything! they never get anyone quite right (although I think they were close with Inspector Linley! ;) )
  • Not read this thread before. So excuse me for butting in. Half of a yellow sun is one of my favourite books. I don't remember the war but I think the writing is moving without being miserable.

I don't read any more, I think because it's all a bit similar, but perhaps I will in the future. I will see what others are reading and see what interests me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure