Tried to withdraw cash from nationwide. No cash. Account debited. Serious trouble

Comments

• Chalkius wrote: »
    19 days is mad.Is that working days or Calendar?

You could potentially log a complaint as Kim_13 says with them, as it's it's an error on their end, then they are the ones who are responsible and they need to make it right. If it was the ATM owners fault that'd be different.

The error isn't Nationwide's. There was a fault with the LINK network as a whole on Saturday, if the OP's account has been debited without cash being dispensed then that is the fault of LINK/ the ATM owner.

19 days (I believe the guidance is 15 working days) is how long the ATM owner has to get back to Nationwide to confirm the error.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The error isn't Nationwide's. There was a fault with the LINK network as a whole on Saturday, if the OP's account has been debited without cash being dispensed then that is the fault of LINK/ the ATM owner.

19 days (I believe the guidance is 15 working days) is how long the ATM owner has to get back to Nationwide to confirm the error.

The OP has no contractual relationship with the ATM provider.

Ultimately, the OP has been debited incorrectly and Nationwide have to refund it.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Can you borrow money from family or friends? What about credit cards?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Or ask the employer for an advance on next period's wages/salary. It's presumably in their interest not to lose their employee for two weeks.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I'd be inclined to say this is the bank's responsibility - their gremlins or not, they have a duty of care toward their customers and should honour their commitments as part of the Link network.

I can think of three possibilities. A straight-up discretionary payment for distress and inconvenience, i.e. compensation of sorts. Or, an immediate advance on the missing money on the assumption the investigation will go in the customer's favour, and with the option to then remove the funds if customer negligence or fraud are decided likely. Third, a temporary overdraft strictly for the duration of the ATM dispute.

Either of the three options above is humanly possible, the difficulty will be finding a member of staff who both sympathises with you and has the empowerment to give you cash. How did the sit-in go?
    : )
  • Neocon
    Neocon Posts: 18 Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that they actually said 19 days, but even if they did in 99.99% of cases it won't take anywhere near as long as that, a week is plenty of time to resolve something like this. In the meantime, kick up a (polite but firm) fuss and keep kicking until they either put the money back into your account or give you the cash.

It's weird but I called them again this because you had said you found it hard to believe, and I assumed they would fix it there and then, but they just said again that it would be19 days (well 17 as 2 have passed)

Left it an hour, called them again. Kicked up a polite but firm fuss. After a half hour phone call, they told me my account would be credited within four hours.

So I didn't go down there during my lunch break.

Kept on checking my account and as of now, 12 hours after the call, no money.

I think they just out and out lied to me to get me off the phone.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Neocon wrote: »
    It's weird but I called them again this because you had said you found it hard to believe, and I assumed they would fix it there and then, but they just said again that it would be19 days (well 17 as 2 have passed)

Left it an hour, called them again. Kicked up a polite but firm fuss. After a half hour phone call, they told me my account would be credited within four hours.

So I didn't go down there during my lunch break.

Kept on checking my account and as of now, 12 hours after the call, no money.

I think they just out and out lied to me to get me off the phone.
    So presumably you've spent this evening making your complaint about this misinformation today?...either via the online complaint form referenced here, or via secure message from your online area? Yes?

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/support/contact-us/make-a-complaint#tab:Makeacomplaint
  • Neocon
    Neocon Posts: 18 Forumite
    Yep I certainly have.
  • Heng_Leng wrote: »
    The OP has no contractual relationship with the ATM provider.

Ultimately, the OP has been debited incorrectly and Nationwide have to refund it.

Nationwide are entitled to check that the OP's story is true, which involves contacting the ATM owner for confirmation that the debit did/did not happen. This is the part that takes ages because the 3rd party ATM owner has up to 15 working days to respond.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Nationwide are entitled to check that the OP's story is true, which involves contacting the ATM owner for confirmation that the debit did/did not happen. This is the part that takes ages because the 3rd party ATM owner has up to 15 working days to respond.

But in the meantime they should assume that the OP is telling the truth and return the money with the proviso that it can be clawed back later. It's particularly so in this case where it appears there was a Link issue that has no doubt affected quite a large number of transactions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure